Should I get my Brahma modded?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrname

Reaction score
I got a chance to jam the RM20, w/ Brahma and Grail mods, at higher volumes over the weekend in a band setting. While the Brahma sounded OK, the Grail just sounded absolutely awesome! I could easily get a tone similar to the other guitarist's Single Rec, but the Brahma just seemed lacking for some reason. I tweaked as much as I could and tried an eq in front and in the loop, but I just couldn't get a sound I was happy with. I was running through a Recto 2x12 cab w/ V30s.

So now I'm thinking of getting it modded. I just wanted to hear from others that have had theirs modded, by Pete, Freiedman, etc. What was changed, what was the difference? Does it still sound like a Plexi? Or has someone had experience with trying other tubes. Maybe I could get better results this way? Would I get better results with different speakers? Anyway, thanks for the help!

BTW, got a KH-2 coming in today - can't wait to check it out! :twisted:

Dunno about a real Plexi but the stock Brahma lacks a bit of low end for me....

Both Pete and DaveF can mod it for a little more low end and the additional gain doesn't hurt either... :D

I wasn't blown away by the DaveF mod but it got sweeter as I turned the volume up and with the right pre-amp tubes (look for something thick and chewy in the mids but without the hyped highs that make it sound harsh)

shred-o-holic said:
So did you hang volume wise with that Single Recto with your Grail running w/the RM-20 and cab?

Oh yeah! I think it was at 3 to 4 o'clock at the most. I tried it with the RM20's boost as well and it worked out great.

I have a Dave Brahma also, Im not really that excited about it, If you like the higher gain stuff dont waste your $ having it modded, I prefer my SL mod way over the Brahma, Im on the fence about dumping it. I m thinking that module is a bit over hyped !!! At least for us Gainiacs !! Hope this helps, ROCK ON

I like higher gain too, but I don't think the Brahma is meant for that. I mainly use it for low to mid gain stuff like early classic rock and '80s metal, such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Accept, Scorps, etc., and some AC/DC, Rush, Zep stuff as well.

I just hit my Brahma with a tubescreamer for the extra gain. For solo boost, I use my EQ in the loop for the "Goes to 11 boost". Depending upon what I'm playing.

Man, I loved my Brahama when it was modded. Great mid gain for the Hair metal stuff. When I sold off all my MTS gear last time to venture on another amp quest, that was a tough one to let go. Now this time around I have a Plexi that is modded and it gets you pretty much in the same ball park as the modded Brahama. The Brahma is one of my TO GET modules still. Trying to re-build the MTS library back up! :D

I can offer a different view as I like my modules stock... sure there are several tweeks that can be made to suit any needs a player might have and I've read the comments saying that the modded units sound as they were meant to.

To be honest... the tones I'm getting from the Lynch Box keep me very happy. DUDE THEY ARE PRETYY KILLER UNITS STOCK!

I was constantly chassing tone... one example is...I had my 1983 JCM 800 modded but in the end I sold it. It sounded pretty killer right out of the box but I wanted more gain and more EQ options.

I've had and still have several amps... and yes there can be some little thing I would change here and there... if I look hard enough for them. Truth is personally I've found that the desire to keep chasing can sometimes blur the perspective I have existing gear and tones.

Some of the best recorded toines were done with stock gear. These days we have stock amps with what used to be called custom features.
You get a lot of tonal bang for the buck with MTS... there is no doubt there.

For me it comes down to the following choices... what guitar is used and the pickups in it, cables, tubes, speakers and cabs, and effects.

As a reminder once I moved over to Monster Cable Studio Pros I found myself backing off the preamp gain on my amps 2-3 points on the dial.

I'm doing a bit of rambling here so to finish... except for tubes I'm staying stock with all my MTS stuff as I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.
At the same time it's a very subjective topic and whats best for me surely is just that.

Cheers
Craig

khingpynn said:
I can offer a different view as I like my modules stock... sure there are several tweeks that can be made to suit any needs a player might have and I've read the comments saying that the modded units sound as they were meant to.

To be honest... the tones I'm getting from the Lynch Box keep me very happy. DUDE THEY ARE PRETYY KILLER UNITS STOCK!

I was constantly chassing tone... one example is...I had my 1983 JCM 800 modded but in the end I sold it. It sounded pretty killer right out of the box but I wanted more gain and more EQ options.

I've had and still have several amps... and yes there can be some little thing I would change here and there... if I look hard enough for them. Truth is personally I've found that the desire to keep chasing can sometimes blur the perspective I have existing gear and tones.

Some of the best recorded toines were done with stock gear. These days we have stock amps with what used to be called custom features.
You get a lot of tonal bang for the buck with MTS... there is no doubt there.

For me it comes down to the following choices... what guitar is used and the pickups in it, cables, tubes, speakers and cabs, and effects.

As a reminder once I moved over to Monster Cable Studio Pros I found myself backing off the preamp gain on my amps 2-3 points on the dial.

I'm doing a bit of rambling here so to finish... except for tubes I'm staying stock with all my MTS stuff as I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.
At the same time it's a very subjective topic and whats best for me surely is just that.

Cheers
Craig
**** Craig.....You could not of said it any better. In always chasing for the tone(selling buying all the different amps) I forgot about the PLAYING and making the tone with my music not the gear. Its so easy to get caught up in getting the "Next Bigger Better?? Amp.." That we overlook what we have in our hands.
I am not going anywhere else PERIOD! The MTS offers the best deal and the BEST SOUNDS.....Grass isnt always greener. Trust me....I sold off the MTS to buy the BETTER AMP....several times....yet....I know the deal. Back for good! :D
If you think there is a "BETTER" amp...then I say.....sell your Randall and BUY IT! Get it out of your system. After the honeymoon....you will BE BACK!! We all COME BACK!! Some people just need to get hit with the Hammer SEVERAL TIMES to realize the truth. Take it from me. Been there....done that.....got the T-Shirt. Randall MTS RULES!!!
Danno is out!! 8)

Well, after careful consideration, I think I'll go with an outboard overdrive unit like an od808 or similar. I know finding the right od for me is going to be a journey in itself! Thanks for the help!