SL-OD100 demo video now available

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapo_Polenton said:
I always record the greenback in my clips.. that is what I used in the clips I did. I'm actually planning to get a scumback M75 into a 1 x 12 for recording when I get my bonus end Feb. Just pooling together gear to sell right now in order to make some cashola for a cab and for that golden age mic pre. I've been going crazy on renovating my basement studio area and the costs add up like crazy.... glass shower door or cab hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As for the JJ long pins, I actually had a JJ for the phase inverter before it farted out on me. Generally they are described as being dark or smooth but it really worked in the PI in this lynchbox. Not sure I would sign off on using a shuagang chinese for phase inverter in case anyone cares!

Not just a regular JJ...the long plate. I didnt hear it color the tone at all in the PI but gave it a bit more balls.

Kapo_Polenton said:
As for the JJ long pins, I actually had a JJ for the phase inverter before it farted out on me. Generally they are described as being dark or smooth but it really worked in the PI in this lynchbox.

could this have something do you with your complaint that, well... every module you try isn't bright enough?

Nope not at all.. because i had all chinese in there and it is plenty bright... I actually raped my old plexi clone and borrowed a balanced JJ for the phase inverter, back to what I liked about it before the other JJ crapped out. I know you guys have a field day (yes vitaminG I caught the sarcasm) with my complaint about the "brightness" but we all have diff ears and tubes can make large differences but they don't make THAT much of a diff.

Chinese v1
Tung sol v2
JJ PI v3

Modules loaded with a mix of ARS and straight up chinese.

No issues with bright enough.. I just notice how some of the modules are voiced is all. Some are more to my liking than others. The ones that cut are my bread and butter.

As for the brightness debate, for me it is not only about how the amp sounds recorded but how it sounds to me when I stand in front of it. I see lots of people with their presence wide open when i youtube RM100's so clearly I am not the only one.

Kapo_Polenton said:
As for the brightness debate, for me it is not only about how the amp sounds recorded but how it sounds to me when I stand in front of it. I see lots of people with their presence wide open when i youtube RM100's so clearly I am not the only one.

No offense, but that doesn't mean that it's a pleasing tone for the listener. :wink:

Kapo_Polenton said:
I always record the greenback in my clips.. that is what I used in the clips I did. I'm actually planning to get a scumback M75 into a 1 x 12 for recording when I get my bonus end Feb. Just pooling together gear to sell right now in order to make some cashola for a cab and for that golden age mic pre. I've been going crazy on renovating my basement studio area and the costs add up like crazy.... glass shower door or cab hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Then definitely get the 1x12 Mini Rectifier Cab. It's $449 Map and it's a killer.

Don't mess around with the cheapo Lopoline or Avatar cabs. Get the real deal.

Mike P said:
Then definitely get the 1x12 Mini Rectifier Cab. It's $449 Map and it's a killer.

Are you still using your Bogner Cube with the Lead80 in it? Would you suggest the Recto cab over the Bogner?

Daryl said:
Mike P said:

Are you still using your Bogner Cube with the Lead80 in it? Would you suggest the Recto cab over the Bogner?

Yes, I'm still using that setup but it's a weird cabinet because it's ported. I'd definitely recommend the Mini-Rectifier over the Bogner - it'll be easier to get great tones.

Thanks Mike! It's at an even a better price point than the Cube. Cool. 8)

Isn't the speaker more desired than the cab? I mean are the lopo and avatar THAT inferior? That said, the price point loaded with a speaker is not that much greater but just wondering.. I notice they sell the mini cab for the same price locally as well so that isn't all bad in terms of shipping. The V30 though.. i know they record well but not the speaker of choice for classic british tones are they?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Isn't the speaker more desired than the cab? I mean are the lopo and avatar THAT inferior? That said, the price point loaded with a speaker is not that much greater but just wondering.. I notice they sell the mini cab for the same price locally as well so that isn't all bad in terms of shipping. The V30 though.. i know they record well but not the speaker of choice for classic british tones are they?

No, it's a combination of materials, joint-type, wood, loading (rear versus front), open/closed, size, ported or non-ported and finally, speaker.

The Mini-Rectifier is designed like a small, angled 4x12 cabinet. They used Baltic Birch plywood and the design of a 4x12a intact. I'm not a fan of the V30 because I don't like that "Ice-Pick" thing it's got going on and would suggest a different speaker but the good thing is that you can pull the V30 and sell it on eBay as new for $100 bucks or so while trying out other speakers.

Yes, the Lopo and Avatar are that inferior. I have a large open back Lopo that I had planned to use with Fender amps/modules and AC30 modules but it's garbage. I tried to sell it to no avail. Currently, it's a piece of furniture - My RM100 sits nicely on the cab. :cry:

I've tried to help out friends mic Avatar 1x12 cabs with no luck. Very boxy and thin. I'm not a fan.

Ok, so you are suggesting the slant 1 x 12.. They have two of them. One is straight and the other slanted.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Ok, so you are suggesting the slant 1 x 12.. They have two of them. One is straight and the other slanted.

I'd go for the straight if it's for recording only. More wood.

Mike, didn't you once say that you hated the SLO tone? Anyway, I'm glad to hear such a strong endorsement of the module from you. I may just have to get one of these.

Whoopysnorp said:
Mike, didn't you once say that you hated the SLO tone? Anyway, I'm glad to hear such a strong endorsement of the module from you. I may just have to get one of these.

No, what I've said is that I've always found them to "slow" compared to Bogner and Marshall's but I didn't notice that with this mod. Maybe it's the Randall power section?

Whatever it is, I like it! :D

Just to add, got my SL-OD 100 today and Mike P is dead on with his assessment and his EQ settings too! I ended up pretty close (Gain 1 o'clock-Mids noon-Treble 1 o clock) and you have a BEEFY Soldano tone. Just what I needed as a change from Marshall/Mesa type sounds...Killer mod. FWIW, this is the 2nd JF (my first two) I got this week and both just crush.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Glad she's got a good home where she will be appreciated!!!