SL+: pcb layout and jcm800 mod are the same

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, according to the schematic, it says its a 250pf so now, I'm confused. Anyone know for sure?

turbolx5oh said:
mesa-vht said:
turbolx5oh said:
Well, according to the schematic, it says its a 250pf so now, I'm confused. Anyone know for sure?

Wouldn't 250pf=.0002uf?

Scott
Yes it would but the part on my board reads 222K which is .0022.

222k=.00022uf. I actually just learned this lesson yesterday. I had a question about a cap (471k) and it turns out that it's .00047uf, (basically .0005).

Scott

mesa-vht said:
turbolx5oh said:
mesa-vht said:
turbolx5oh said:

Wouldn't 250pf=.0002uf?

Scott
Yes it would but the part on my board reads 222K which is .0022.

222k=.00022uf. I actually just learned this lesson yesterday. I had a question about a cap (471k) and it turns out that it's .00047uf, (basically .0005).

Scott
222K is 2200 microfarads which is 0022uf. And you're right 471K is 470 microfarads or .00047uf or 470pf.

Almost correct... 'uF' and 'microfarads' are exactly the same. On the other hand, 1uF (microfarad) = 1000000pF (picofarad).

The '222K' type of notation works as follows: the first two digits are the value in picofarads, and the third digit is the power of ten exponent.

So, 222K is 22pF times 10 to the 2nd power = 22pF x 100 = 2200pF = 0.0022uF

471K is 47pF times 10 to the 1st power = 47pF x 10 = 470pF = 0.00047uF

Hope that makes sense... :shock:

That's all well and good, but that doesn't answer the initial question of the post. Are the new SL+ modules shipped with the JCM800 values? I have a newer S+ and did the JCM800 mod to it, but I'm not sure if the difference was actually made (I do believe I hear some more midrange and clarity), or if I'm just imagining it (there was a week between the times it was stock and modded).

I originally asked this question because my SL+ came with the JCM800 components, but I bought it used. The weird thing was, is that it didn't look modified, so I needed to find the stock values and that was answered in this thread and later found that the SL+ and Plexi have the same tone stack components. So, all is good now.

One of the Randall guys said that SL+ from '07 on up had the JCM mod from the factory. C3 is different, along with another cap and resistor. On mine (a 2008), R31 is marked as a resistor close to the right edge, mid to front area-ish (R34 on old ones/"correct" ones?). In an old mod pic, R31 is up behind the mid pot I believe.. would need to look again.

So, for my SL+, layout/markings have differences, plus the modded parts on the old "SL+ mod to JCM values" are JCM already.

This thread shows an old one, and I think mine has R34 marked as R31.. not sure if mine is a mistake/ooops one or not. The resistors on mine are different as well.. mostly gray ones, a few tan ones (metal film I assume?) versus strictly tan (as in the pic in that thread; except the brown R31, which looks to be a carbon comp?)

Ahhh, okay. That explains why I couldn't tell much difference. Do you think Going from a 500v cap to a 1kv cap in C14 would have changed anything? Cuz I'm just ever so slightly noticing a midrange difference. Once again though, that could simply be my mind THINKING I made a difference :p

Shinozoku said:
Ahhh, okay. That explains why I couldn't tell much difference. Do you think Going from a 500v cap to a 1kv cap in C14 would have changed anything? Cuz I'm just ever so slightly noticing a midrange difference. Once again though, that could simply be my mind THINKING I made a difference :p

Voltage handling won't make a difference on your caps, at least one you should be able to hear. What might be making a difference is value of cap - some are 20% tolerance, which means a 500pf cap could be anywhere from 400 to 600pf and still be considered a good part. Even if it's a 10% tolerance, that's still 450 to 550pf. Also, is it the same type of cap (both silver mica or both ceramic, etc?) that makes a difference too.

Pete

okstrat said:
Shinozoku said:

Voltage handling won't make a difference on your caps, at least one you should be able to hear. What might be making a difference is value of cap - some are 20% tolerance, which means a 500pf cap could be anywhere from 400 to 600pf and still be considered a good part. Even if it's a 10% tolerance, that's still 450 to 550pf. Also, is it the same type of cap (both silver mica or both ceramic, etc?) that makes a difference too.

Pete
Thanks for that info, Pete :)
The one I put in is 470pF, 1kV ceramic disk cap. Only visible difference is that the original one was yellow and slightly smaller, and this one is kindof a brownish red (like a clay pot).