Soon to be convert needs some advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

Reaction score
I'm currently playing a Rectoverb and although it's versatile, it doesn't sound different enough for my GAS filled desires. I came to the realization that the MTS series is most likely my best option. A new module costs less than buying another head, even after any mods it may need. So alas my RoV is looking for a new home since I've heard fantastic Recto sounds out of the Grail and the various modders works.

My problem is that I cannot figure out what setup I would like to use. I am a fairly straight forward guy. Guitar into possible wah, always an OD boost, into amp, occasionally some delay/verb in the loop. Here were my ideas so far:

On one hand I rarely if ever need more than 2 channels at a time, and 18 watts is plenty loud. Not to mention that cool gain boost function makes me think the RM22 would be a decent choice. Is this just a straight boost to the V1 or is/can it be curved like an overdrive boost?

On the other hand I tend to prefer 6L6 tubes in the power section, and experimenting is a lot easier with octal power tubes. So in this case a RM50 or 100 would be a better choice. (particularly if the RM100 has a dual bias stock)

On the last hand (yeah, I'm a weirdo with 3 hands) If i get an RM 4 or Egnator M4 I can get a power amp that has 2 different sets of power tube flavors and if I ever want the ability to use up to 4 channels. I think I read some where that the RM100 has the ability to individually bias the pairs of tubes also (Please correct me if I am wrong) but that would only allow me to have a blend of sounds not swap at will by swapping channels of the power amp.

So those are my dilemas. Wattage isn't a huge deal as the volume difference isn't actually huge. Also any particular issues any users have experienced with various setups.

Let me start by welcoming you to the forum and MTS gear. It's a great platform and the flexibility should do your GAS some good. Now about your questions:

sepherus said:
On one hand I rarely if ever need more than 2 channels at a time, and 18 watts is plenty loud. Not to mention that cool gain boost function makes me think the RM22 would be a decent choice. Is this just a straight boost to the V1 or is/can it be curved like an overdrive boost?

On the other hand I tend to prefer 6L6 tubes in the power section, and experimenting is a lot easier with octal power tubes. So in this case a RM50 or 100 would be a better choice. (particularly if the RM100 has a dual bias stock)

I think the first question becomes how are you planning to use it, both setting and types of music? The RM22 or RM20 are certainly loud enough for jamming alone, but in particular band situations it is likely to become drowned out. Live this is less of an issue because you can mic it and feed the PA/monitors, but that's not always an option just jamming at someone's house.

You also raise a great point about being able to choose your power tube type. One of the larger heads or the rack setup would certainly provide more options and you could still run EL84's with Yellowjackets for the low-wattage option. I would actually suggest the RM50 as a great entry amp to the line. Two slots are plenty, particularly if you plan to have myself or one of the other modders tweak for you (more options on one module can often be better than loads of modules). Plus the RM50 is much lighter! Again, it's a matter of your needs.

On the last hand (yeah, I'm a weirdo with 3 hands) If i get an RM 4 or Egnator M4 I can get a power amp that has 2 different sets of power tube flavors and if I ever want the ability to use up to 4 channels. I think I read some where that the RM100 has the ability to individually bias the pairs of tubes also (Please correct me if I am wrong) but that would only allow me to have a blend of sounds not swap at will by swapping channels of the power amp.

You are correct in all statements here. The thing I loved about the RM100's was the ability to easily blend two different tube types, with a EL34L and KT88 combo being a total favorite. It was too heavy in the end for my bad back and the gigging we do (original band doing 30-60 minute sets with 15 minute load in/outs). I went back to the rack, but use it mostly at home now because the rack is 100lbs. It only gets to come out on special occasions and when I know there are no stairs to deal with. The ability to have two different types of tubes there that I can switch with the press of a button makes the RT2/50 a all-time fave for power amps.

Hope all this helps and you can always drop me a line with any questions. Welcome!
Rob

So those are my dilemas. Wattage isn't a huge deal as the volume difference isn't actually huge. Also any particular issues any users have experienced with various setups.[/quote]

I would say if you are going to use pedals in the serial loop and will be bringing the line level down to utilize those pedals then you want the 50 watts.

With my Lynchbox combo I find the 50 watts to be enough volume to utilize the pedals and to be heard onstage. I am bringing the line level down to around -15. Buy once, cry once.

I think the RM22 would not be loud enough if you did the same thing. FYI - I have an el84 combo that I use, and on it's own it is fine with a drummer, but if I significantly decreased it's volume it wouldn't cut it.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.

Apparently the RM heads have individual bias for each tube (looking at some of the tech stuff about them) That will be very fun!

Jadded, I feel your pain with the back issues. As for the RM50 head, it does seem to be the best option for me with what you were saying. My wallet seems to be agreeing with me also. If I did end up going with an RM4 I most likely would have gotten an old Peavey Classic 50/50 or 60/60 and I think those weigh even more than the RT2/50.

Yigba, does that mean that all the MTS amps loops are the +4db, and not the -15 us pedal users would need?

Yes. And I really hate those rack units. Way too many parameters for my feeble brain.

Just give me knobs to twist on good old fashioned pedals and I'm happy.

The other thing with the RM50 is that you can use JJ 6V6's in there to get you around 20 watts if you want. The RM50 seems to be the one for you. I have the combo and love it.

Jaded Faith said:
The ability to have two different types of tubes there that I can switch with the press of a button makes the RT2/50 a all-time fave for power amps.

Yes, I only recently discovered this about the RT2/50 watching the official Randall video, and that looks fantastic. That makes it a highly attractive combo with the RM4.

I have a 100 watt Lynchbox, which I run 2,6L6's and 2,EL34's in....Jaded Faith modded modules...3 channels.....an incredible amp...on the downside, it's heavy, and it's just a head...as an alternative, I bought an RM4 and am going to run the new Carvin 1 space power amp with it,,,The power amp weighs 4 lbs...and with the RM4, you get 4 channels!!!.....just a thought....

After a romantic vacation or honeymoon, you may come back with a high capacity camera SD card or personal USB Disk in which you've saved versatile and dramatic landscape. Generally, you are accustomed to export them to a laptop or desktop by a camera fire wire or USB. No doubt, it is a good method for you to share these images with your families and friends. But, do you want to make the best of them or treat them much better? I am sure this article is the best gift for you no matter who you are. But, frankly, you might be interested in photography after reading this article. It will introduce several popular ways about how to deal with your camera videos.

photo%202.jpg

This article will be divided into three categories as below:
You first decision is simple: Youtube can not directly accept most camcorder files? What software will you use? How could you convert camera videos to Youtube? What do you convert the videos to Youtube for?

No worries, I would like to show you how to succeed in uploading the video to Youtube. Let?s get it started.

Part I: Convert the camera videos to Youtube
Converting your camera video
What you need:
A camera or camcorder with fire wire、cable or USB
a pc or Mac computer
Moyea Video Converter or Video Converter for Mac (only $35)

moyea-video-converter.jpg

The first thing you will need to do is to launch Moyea Video Converter, powerful and professional video conversion software. With it, you could easily and conveniently convert videos to other general formats suitable for popular devices, including AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, 3GP, MOV, MKV, F4V, MP3, VOB, AC3, FLAC, etc. For example, since camera videos such as MTS files can not be directly accepted by Youtube, they?ll need to be converted and the most suitable format is FLV. Considering the better quality of output video and audio like resolution, file size, audio and video synchronization and audio tracks, you are enabled to adjust or modify the video/audio parameters as you wish. Moreover, due to the advanced multi-thread technology applied in this software, you do not worry about the running efficiency. You can also batch multiple files or split into single file for the conversion. In a word, this well-known software enables you to convert camera video to Youtube in a much easier and cheaper way.

Part II:Embed camera videos and player to web page or your proprietary site

flash%20mx.jpg

Do you want to embed the recorded videos to your website or your own Blog for sharing with more friends or even enhance your website's traffic? Take it easy! To my knowledge, absolutely there are many methods for you to help embed the videos, but today I would like to recommend a much faster and cheaper way. You could easily get Moyea Flash Video Mx Pro, well-known video-to -flash software, if you search via Google or Yahoo. Before uploading videos to your site, you should be confirmed that your video format is FLV or SWF. Fortunately, this software is not only supporting to encode camera videos to SWF or FLV format, but also providing built-in web FLV player. After loading camera files to this software, do remember to check "Generate HTML page" dialogue box and specify the output format as 'SWF' or 'FLV', and then you will get three or more files after completing the task. For the output several files, you could choose to publish them to your personal server (web) at a time. Once the task is finished in your server, you will enjoy the flash video with playlist online.

Pros:
With Moyea Flash video Mx Pro, you will save money to buy an extra web FLV player.
This software offers different player skin and pre-loaders for you to choose.
You are enabled to embed videos to webpage without much coding knowledge.

Part III:Burn your camera video to a DVD

dvd%20burner.jpg

If you want to preserve the stirring or memorable moments represented from the recorded videos, the best choice for you is to save them in a DVD. At this time, you may raise a question: how to burn my camera video to a DVD? Okay, to begin with, you will prepare a burner like Nero. But, owing to the obsolete version of Nero used by many users, most camera videos can not be straightly imported for being burned. If you have an older version Nero and you do not want to spend money to afford a newest version, you will be recommended to convert camera videos to the formats (such as VOB or AVI) supported by DVD with Moyea Video Converter. (If your camera creates MTS files, you could simply choose Moyea MTS Converter. If it creates MOD files, you could simply use MOD Converter. Besides, TOD Converter is designed for TOD camcorders).

However, it is worth to note that Moyea Video Converter is compatible with versatile camera videos, so it will become your top choice. Amazingly, there are simply four steps to finish the task of burning camera video to a DVD. First is to run this Video Converter and load your files. Second is to choose the output format and destination folder and the last step is starting the conversion. Once the conversion is over, you can burn the VOB or AVI files with Nero or other burning software.

Okay, that's all! Hopefully you will be interested in this article.

I have both the Randall RM100 and an Egnater M4. The modules I have are blackface, plexi, sl+ and xtc.

RM100 - The biasing capabilities are fantastic! You can not only bias a combination of EL34's and 6L6's, but you can also check to make sure the pairs/quads are matched, all without an engineering degree.

M4 - I use the M4 with an old Peavey Classic Series 120 (the 50, 60 and 120 are all great sounding, simple solid tube power amps). The M4 is my primary setup. I use the blackface for my clean channel, the plexi for the lighter touch rhythms, the SL+ for heavier rhythms, and the XTC for leads. With this setup I have no need for a boost for solos. I also use a TC Electronics G-Major for effects. Simple setup that covers everything we do.

I have used Splawn (which I still own, love that amp), Orange, Mesa, Krank, Bogner, etc and I am most satisfied with the modular setup.

If only the RM100 took 4 modules...I have heard that there is a mod to make it a two channel power amp to use either EL34 or 6L6 tubes independently as opposed to together.

I have a RM100 Lynch Box and run a quad of 6550C's. The thing is heavy as hell, but still only 12 lbs heavier than my old Marshall head. Still too heavy for me to move around. It stays put. I ended up going rackmount in the studio.

The thing about rackmount FX is that most of these units come with a computer program and USB cable. With this you can audition the effects through your amp while you're on your PC. Get them all set up to different settings and types and degrees of different effects. Mostly I use reverb, delay, tremolo. I have like 5 banks of effects programmed with my own presets. Each bank always has one bypass.

I still run pedals in front -- I've yet to hear a fuzz model do what a real fuzz pedal does. Although they're getting better.

Playing out I still use my Fender amp and a tubescreamer and maybe take a distortion box with me.

Julia said:
I have a RM100 Lynch Box and run a quad of 6550C's. The thing is heavy as hell, but still only 12 lbs heavier than my old Marshall head. Still too heavy for me to move around. It stays put. I ended up going rackmount in the studio.

The thing about rackmount FX is that most of these units come with a computer program and USB cable. With this you can audition the effects through your amp while you're on your PC. Get them all set up to different settings and types and degrees of different effects. Mostly I use reverb, delay, tremolo. I have like 5 banks of effects programmed with my own presets. Each bank always has one bypass.

I still run pedals in front -- I've yet to hear a fuzz model do what a real fuzz pedal does. Although they're getting better.

Playing out I still use my Fender amp and a tubescreamer and maybe take a distortion box with me.
That's why I sold my 60 LB Egnater tourmaster head in favor for an 23 lb Egnater 30 head....all the tones, none of the backaches....amazing amp...

Yes, the weight matters...
which is why I advocated so strongly for a 3 module 50 watt MTS amp a few months ago. And if it was made with a good mos-fet power amp..it could light and loud. Maybe not quite as good as a tibe power amp section..but hey
3 modules..in a single 12 format (and maybe a cab made of lightweight material (actually heavy duty plastic would do)..
it would be killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would buy 2!!!
GtrGeorge

Wow spam brought this back to life. LOL. I already have an RM4 as I plan on using it mostly for recording anyway and I'm working on getting my Rectoverb traded for a power amp, or an RM50 as I'd never use more than 2 channels live anyway.

As for modules: I got a Ultra XL with the preamps, and it sounds pretty good. I'd like some tweaks to make it a little closer to a real 5150 and I have some plans to fix that when I get a few more modules. I also have most of my module choices picked out. I only need like 6 or so sounds total and most are pretty distinct and easy to pick out between the stocks and the modded options I've seen.

I'm stuck on the a decision between the Super V or a Topboost. I don't aim to go too clean with it, more of that edge of break up sound. My ideal "clean" tone is the electric guitar on the At The Gates song "Into the Dead Sky" which was recorded with a PRS into an AC30 with some chorus. I have a few guitars that can do those smooth PRS type sounds and a few chorus pedals. I just need the module and the open back 212. I would also like to be able to get some of that awesome Brian May type of distortion out of it. Any advice there would be great.