Stereo through one cab

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question for those that have tried this: how usefull is it to run stereo through one cab?

I won't have a chance to try it out for a while, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying at all.
The speakers are so close, it can't make much of a difference or does it?

In short, no, it's not worth it.

The only times I found a stereo cab to be useful is when it was being mic'ed for either, live or recoding. It's actually pretty handy that way. Otherwise, it won't make much difference to you, or your band at rehearsal or on stage.

The sound is dispersed into such a small area that you'll have a hard time differentiating between left and right. You'll also need to make each channel a little different from each other, to be true stereo, otherwise you'll just have a single, mono source amplified twice. :roll:

If you want stereo for live/rehearsal then use two cabs and keep them separated. Maybe have one on each side of the stage, or drummer. :wink:

SacredGroove said:
In short, no, it's not worth it.

The only times I found a stereo cab to be useful is when it was being mic'ed for either, live or recoding. It's actually pretty handy that way. Otherwise, it won't make much difference to you, or your band at rehearsal or on stage.

The sound is dispersed into such a small area that you'll have a hard time differentiating between left and right. You'll also need to make each channel a little different from each other, to be true stereo, otherwise you'll just have a single, mono source amplified twice. :roll:

If you want stereo for live/rehearsal then use two cabs and keep them separated. Maybe have one on each side of the stage, or drummer. :wink:
Yeah I figured.

My effects are able to run completely stereo, plus the different power tubes should widen it out a bit.
But like you say I guess it's not worth it, thanks!

Cant say it makes a huge difference. A little bit if you have a ping pong delay. The best use I have come up with for it in a single 4x12 is to run a wet/dry setup. I'm contemplating going back to this type of setup.

Hamner1 said:
Cant say it makes a huge difference. A little bit if you have a ping pong delay. The best use I have come up with for it in a single 4x12 is to run a wet/dry setup. I'm contemplating going back to this type of setup.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of wet-dry ..

On the other hand, it's a bit of a waste of a poweramp channel to me ;)
I'm not using effects all the time, it's 50/50 between just plain dry (bit of reverb) and full on effects-madness..

I tend to have a love/hate relationship with effects. Some days it adds just what I need to make the tone right & then other days it just doesn't seem right. Plus when I go from effects unit being used to bypass there is a significant/noticeable volume reduction. Now that I think about this I should rewire it now for wet/dry.

Hamner1 said:
I tend to have a love/hate relationship with effects. Some days it adds just what I need to make the tone right & then other days it just doesn't seem right. Plus when I go from effects unit being used to bypass there is a significant/noticeable volume reduction. Now that I think about this I should rewire it now for wet/dry.
Hmm what fx unit do you use?

I alternate between effected sounds and dry. So I tend to go for a heavily effected sound more than subtle ;)
With subtle effects the dry sound sounds better most of the time, but if you put the effect in front .. let it rule the stage, I love that.

A full on 900ms reverse delay louder than the clean guitar .. awesome!
Light chorus .. I'd rather have it clean then ;)

Rockston Xpression until recently. Now I am running a Rocktron Intellifex Online. In all fairness I haven't tweaked it much. So the stock settings or what ever the previous owner altered is what I have.

I have it in the parallel loop and that is set pretty low at about 9 o' clock.

You are probably right in that the slightly affected sound acts like a blanket over the sound somewhat so when I go bypass it gets a bit louder. I think the Wet/Dry setup will give the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I have to wait until Sat to try it out. :x

Hamner1 said:
Rockston Xpression until recently. Now I am running a Rocktron Intellifex Online. In all fairness I haven't tweaked it much. So the stock settings or what ever the previous owner altered is what I have.

I have it in the parallel loop and that is set pretty low at about 9 o' clock.

You are probably right in that the slightly affected sound acts like a blanket over the sound somewhat so when I go bypass it gets a bit louder. I think the Wet/Dry setup will give the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I have to wait until Sat to try it out. :x
Have you set it to kill-dry? Maybe the dry sound is coming through but out of phase (= volume drop).

my experience with stereo through one cab has not been pleasant. not enough separation :(