Strange sound from MOD100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
First, let me say the strange noise is not my playing - which although sucky still should not sound like this :D .

Each note played in any of the channels (dual sound - DLX,VX and SL2) sounds allot like a fast rate chorus - you know that kind of underwater sound.

I would appreciate any help on where to start trouble shooting this problem. This is with the guitar direct to the amp - no effects. I had some problem with my G2 in the loop but I believe that is just a set-up issue.

Guitar is a Suhr w/SSH config and George L cables to a Buzzbomb 2x12. Again, this happens in all channels with all pickup settings. Really strange to hear and I had to get my wife in to confirm I was hearing it and not just my imagination :? .

Unfortunately, it's making the amp sound like $h!T and I don't want to give up on it yet :p .

Thanks

John

Scott said:
Phase Inverter Tube? or dirty power from the wall outlet?

Scott,

Thanks, I'll try to see if this helps tomorrow - love to see what the amp actually should sound like :D .

Oh, and I am assuming the Phase Inverter tube is the one kind of on it's own towards the front of the amp ?

John

The Phase Inverter tube is the one that is closest to your speaker output towards the back of the amp. The one up front, near your imput jack, is the input preamp tube. The other one is your effects loop tube.

Ok,

Changed all 3 preamp tubes in the head and decided to change out the JJ KT77s with Ruby EL34SVTs and bias while I was at it. Unfortunatly, the tube in socket #2 had a failure and blew the fuse. So off to the guitar store I went and replace the fuse.

This turned out to be a good thing as I took in the amp, my guitar and my cable. Hooked it up to a small Marshall 8ohm 4x12 - I think, could have been an OS 2x12. Anyway, replaced the fuse and inner pair of tubes to Ruby EL34SRTs and fired up the amp............

Of course, it sounded fine - no underwater sound on single notes and no slight chorus effect on chords :? .

So, I guess I am down to it being my cab or my power. Tomorrow, I'll try moving the amp to a different room on a different circuit. After that, I guess it would be how my cab is reacting to the amp and I guess I would need a new cab :( .

Oh well, any other ideas I would appriciate hearing them..

John

I use a furman PL-plus because the power at my house is up and down,It would blow fuses in my randall .