Suggest me some modules! Pt1 (Modern Rhythm / smooth Leads)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the Legacy "inspired" by the XTC? Plenty of Blue & Red XTC choices....though no green clean that I know of

pretty much the cleans on the legacy are completely different, inspired by the Carvin X100B mainly (from what I hear), but Ben Fargen came in and made an extra boost which is essentially the 2nd channel on the Legacy II.

so its only really the rhythm channel that is derived from the XTC, apparently.

crankyrayhanky said:
As for Vai, I hate to go down this road, but if there is 1 guy whose tone is in the fingers... Vai and Satch could plug right into a production line Marshall 1x12 and rip it out.
I agree.
I have an XTC that I modded with a cap change and resistor change that Sacred Groove posted a while back. My opinion on my XTC is that it has really nice, pronounced, cutting mids and very tight pick attack ( I think the mod helped that) Great for leads, but when you mess with your guitar's volume knobs it cleans up and still sounds clear and tight. When you boost it sounds even tighter and meaner. It's really hard to give you hard and fast rules to modules. As many of the other MTSers can attest, even modules of the same type can vary a bit in overall sound. Part of the reason is that the values of the components can vary and be like +/-30%, not to mention drift. I got a Black stripe Plexi that I used for a while that was pretty good, but I got a used Silverface Plexi that sounded a lot better for no apparent reason. It sounded bigger and fuller. Same tubes and everything. I even swapped tubes back and forth to see if I could get the Black stripe to sound the same. No dice. They just sound a little different. My point is that we could steer you all sorts of ways, but ultimately you will need to try and experiment with different modules. With MTS, it's not hard to find a good tone. If you can get yourself modded modules, you will find some really killer tones. All those artists you mentioned would wish they had a rig that sounded as good. LOL
Do you know the modders contact info? Give some clips a listen:
http://salvationmods.com/
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/home.html
http://www.gigmods.com/
Here's just a few with some clips. There is also Sacred Groove, but I was unable to find a website, but he is here and cool as hell. So hang out, check out the big dog's posts and clips. (I'm a chihuahua) Before long you will be all set up. Peace.

The Silverface Plexi probably has a higher value in c3 compared with the Black Stripe?

JKD said:
The Silverface Plexi probably has a higher value in c3 compared with the Black Stripe?
I think you are right. I checked at one point but, I have long since sold the Black Stripe or I would check. Someone else mentioned that in another thread a while back. The Silverface is a little "looser" feeling and more organic sounding to my ear.

Might wanna check out the various modders' XTC mods (Jaded Faith, SG, Salvation, Jeff Hilligan, and of course Pete). This may be the one module you buy through a ton to get the right one.

But definitely check out the Scorcher for your rhythm tone, and the Angel.

So which XTC model do you guys consider to be the winner? And I've saw that some had a "Plexi" switch.. what type of "Plexi" tones does that help achieve? (name bands/songs if possible, so I can relate more)

Definitely seems like Angel or Scorch so far though for rhythm. Its too bad they seem quite rare on the used market, and id prefer to buy used first before going straight to modding.

There's a new Sacred Groove Ecstasy on the horizon, so you guys may want to wait a few weeks before making a decision.

:D

Im trying to contact Jeff Hilligan, think I'll try his XTC first and then if it doesnt do it for me, then ill look around at Salvation or Gigsmod..

Anyone know if Jeff checks this forum/PMs regularly? or does he have an email or something thats better to contact?

Skyze said:
Im trying to contact Jeff Hilligan, think I'll try his XTC first and then if it doesnt do it for me, then ill look around at Salvation or Gigsmod..

Anyone know if Jeff checks this forum/PMs regularly? or does he have an email or something thats better to contact?
Jeff is finishing up on one for me right now. I think he logs on to the forum
often. He should get with you shortly. I think his email is on his profile. He is very affordable and quite funny.

Skyze said:

Jeff is usually around every day or 2....great guy with a couple of winners on his hands...think he's working on building his own amp also! :)

Latest posts