The Judge

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daryl said:
Maybe they should rename it the Sasquatch module. People have heard about it, there are some blurry photos of it but no one has actually seen one in person. :lol:
sasquatch_walking_away.jpg

HAHAHAHA! :lol:

Have you heard about the Loch Ness Module? It's coming out sometime between now and when hell freezes over.
loch-ness-monster.jpg

It rocks. It will be the coolest new module released in years. The tone is, forgive the pun, monstrous! When the planets are properly aligned and the mood is right. Bam!!! New module...Maybe...

Funky Munky and Squid Music had them at the last count...both excellent vendors of MTS crack for my habit :)

JKD said:
Funky Munky and Squid Music had them at the last count...both excellent vendors of MTS crack for my habit :)

Ditto. I have a Judge coming from Funky. This will be my 2nd module from them. The 1st was a floor model KH1. Oddly this will be my 1st new MTS module since I got into them this past summer. Crazy how time flies.

...impatiently waiting for delivery service to decide I'm the most important person in the world right now. :lol:

Hamner1 said:
JKD said:

Ditto. I have a Judge coming from Funky. This will be my 2nd module from them. The 1st was a floor model KH1. Oddly this will be my 1st new MTS module since I got into them this past summer. Crazy how time flies.

...impatiently waiting for delivery service to decide I'm the most important person in the world right now. :lol:

So, what's the verdict on the Judge?

I don't know yet. :( There has been a crazy SNAFU with Randall. Unfortunately I ordered around NAMM. John was having Randall send it to me direct. Instead it made it's way to NAMM. By the way John has been really cool to rectify the situation.

Last correspondence I got said it should be here this week, so I hope to have an update come this weekend. I am really struggling to decide which module is going to "ride the pine" when it gets here. If it cleans up well, it might replace the Tweed. If it pulls off some really good mid 80's type tone it may replace the SL+ or Grail. I think the Grail would be the odd man out until another RM4 or MTS amp hits the stable. If it replaces the SL+, that may go off for modding. I'm currently jonesing over the idea of having the UG-Jose mod and JCM800 on a switch.

WTB: Im looking for a Judge or any Friedman modded Brown/Black Eye modules if anyone can help a guy out shoot me a pm

...I want to post a WTB add in the classified section, but I cant yet even though I have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on other forums.

8 more posts and your there. Just chime in on any of the various posts on the board. I would bet withing 10 minutes you would have the 10 total you need to post in the classifieds.

As far as the GTO goes, I don't think you will find too many to be had 2nd hand. At last count I think 6 or 7 were sold to consumers. Every so often you see a BE/HBE show up, but not that often. That's either a testment to not many around or they are just that **** good nobody wants to part with one.

Since I do not have the module yet, technically the answer is no. However, John updated me that Wed Randall had it in 'Print Status' which means it is being packed, labled, and shipped. I'll give it until this coming Tuesday. Hopefully it is in my hands, if not we'll see what's next.

I know this module is going to sound great, I just hope it sounds like what I'm expecting.

Stay tuned...

:D :D
This thing sounds **** good. Someone said it before & I'll repeat it, George knows tone period. I have not owned a Brahma so the closest thing I can compare it to is the Plexi. This has less bass than the Plexi, but it still has plenty in my book. It also has more gain than the Plexi. Not alot more but a noticeable amount. I didn't notice a difference in amount of gain between the two modes. There could be but probably a miniscule amount. The difference in the 2 modes in my opinion was the EQ. Mode 2 (to the right) is darker/thicker sounding than Mode 1. Mode 1 is bright man. Really almost too bright for my tastes, although in a lead setting I liked it. Finally this thing loves a boost pedal. It thickens up even more and just oozes scream with the Nitro kicked on & at 3 o'clock and above. It really hasn't had a great testing yet, as teh volume on the power amp was at 1 (wife and kids home and all). Tomorrow will be a day to turn up the amp and rip it through it's paces.

Current settings are:
Gain: 9
Bass: 8
Mids: 4
Treble: 7
Level: 8
Bright: on, Mode: on
RM4 V1: Groove Tube 12AU7
V1 Tube: Ruby 12AX7AC5HG
V2 Tube: Ruby 12AX7AC5HG

Here is a couple shots:
GTOface.jpg

I am assuming HG stands for 'high gain" on the V1 tube. Came with Ruby's as you can see.
GTOgutshot.jpg

Most interesting...You may wish to consider flipping those tubes...My experience has taught me a high gainer is much better served in V2 of the module....

Thanks for posting, I've been curious about this module to say the least...

Hi, this is my 1st post. Been an avid reader since 2007 when I purchased my RM100. I agree with the way Hamner1 described the GTO. I've had mine for about six weeks and I love it! I do have the Brahma but the GTO is definetely better. Thicker, punchier, warmer, richer midrange than Brahma. However, IMO the Brahma cleans up better, whereas the GTO gets a bit thinner, more like a 5150 with the pre gain lower.
Don't let that put you off though because it's definitely the best for mid gain of my 13 modules.

Mattfig said:
Most interesting...You may wish to consider flipping those tubes...My experience has taught me a high gainer is much better served in V2 of the module...

I was thinking the same thing. I pulled the tubes & they are identical. The V2 tube white label was hiding. :lol:

Doesn't "HG" mean high grade? Done heaps of tube swapping in other mods but haven't bothered on the GTO yet as it already sounds excellent.

Interesting...

I guess grade and gain mean the same thing?

Whenever I buy tubes, I get options like high gain, matched triodes, balanced triodes, etc...Even at TubeDepot when I order Rubys (on occasion) they have the HG listed as a High Gain option...Meaning tested for high gain...

I just know that, in my experience, HG tubes do best in V2 and standard gain tubes do better in V1...Heck even a low gain tube like a 5751 can sound great in V1...

Dang it! I really want one of these but I just spent my cash on a back up rig. EHX Magnum 44 and a AMT S1. The only thing I have to trade is a JF Mr Scary but I really like it. I guess I will have to wait until someone tries to move one. Hit me up!

I got to turn it up. It might be a case of NMD, but this module kicks *** for amid gainer. Same observations as above but more noticeable. I still didn't sense more gain between mde 1 & 2. The other noticeable improvement with increased poweramp volume was umph from the speakers.

Latest posts