Thinking about selling MTS gear...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAdkins

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about selling my MTS gear. I am moving and need to down size what I have. What type of prices are the RM100s going for now a days empty? You can PM me the prices if you like. I am just trying to gauge what I could get for my gear to see what I could replace it with.

My question is quite possibly a stupid question, but what do you mean by moving & need to downsize... :?:
:arrow: Smaller place/less room?
:arrow: Just don't want to haul your stuff?
:arrow: Don't gig anymore so smaller amp/cab would suffice?

The biggest thing is I lost my job and moving to a smaller space with less room. Also I have two rm100s and won't be able to play them at volume. So I need a lot less volume.

RM22! That's part of the beauty of the MTS line - you can scale it up or down depending on your needs. Sorry to hear about you losing your job!

Being a gear nut I can appreciate your predicalment...

I would say this: If money is ultra-tight sell your rm100s now and just buy back into the MTS line later on...lots of guys do that...they get an axeFx or they have baby and when they can they come back.
Its all good.
In the meantime, yeah a rm22 is nice. But it doesn't have midi (if that's important to you) and it needs speakers.
So the next best thing,imho is a vox Valvetronic VT15..its sorta tube (one 12ax7) and its dirt cheap..and comes with a speaker. Its a playable lil amp..Ive used on in lessons for a while now (I teach guitar..)
anyway, for $100 (and it has usable Fx built in!!!) it will keep your rockin'...and you can buy MEGA-SUPER-Ultra MTS Rig just a lil further down the road.
GtrGeorge

In 1990 I got divorced, couldn't afford the rent and went from 6 rooms to 2 1/2. Didn't sell a thing. My apartment was basically a storage room with a bed. And, if I sold everything I had, by the time I could afford to buy it back it would have been either hard to find or in real crappy shape. So, unless you really think you'll NEVER want those amps again, keep them, because you have to pay twice as much as you get for them now to get them again.

RAdkins said:
The biggest thing is I lost my job and moving to a smaller space with less room. Also I have two rm100s and won't be able to play them at volume. So I need a lot less volume.

Well, last I checked the RM100 was an amp fitted with a master volume :wink: :lol:

I'm using an RM4, RT2/50, 2x12 setup in a room where I can't make a 360 turn with my guitar without hitting something
(similar to Kc2eeb's 'storage bedroom')
the RT hardly goes above conversationlevels, but it still sounds great to my ears

The only way to go smaller/quieter would be an Axe-FX and headphones if you ask me

As a seller, the value for an rm100 sucks
300-600, depending on condition & how fast you need the cash
Then be prepared to pay shipping & PayPal fees :cry:

Cranky has a point...

selling rm100s is a last ditch thing....only to be done if its between you and the rent check. Mainly because the time/money factor..
my post was advice to use ONLY if you are in that shape. But if you can hang onto them...sell soething else.

This is where the rubber meets the road and one can understand how weight is a problem with amps...in this case, the shipping costs really screw the deal up. And this is so because of the price of oil.
Bottom line: an amp designed to be lighter is a strong asset (hearing me Bruce?? others??) I know it may not be a part of your bottom line when the amp is put on a boat in China and heading for the US..but once here..the value of that lighter amp manifest in many ways..and helps to sell it.
GtrGeorge

I am not really hurting for money. So that is not an issue. I was just think about going with an axefx, for the forsee able future. If I do end up putting them for sale it will be local first. So, I don't have to worry about shipping and PayPal fees. Thanks once again for the advise.

FWIW due to hearing issues (i'm nearly deaf in one ear and I'm protecting my good ear) I haven't turned on my RM100 LB in 2 yrs. I've got a recording rig with nearfields and a subwoofer and have been using a POD HD500. I've learned how to dial in a very good tone with it. I've also got Komplete 7 which has Guitar Rig 4 -- Komplete 8 has Guitar Rig 5. I've learned how to dial in a very good tone with that as well. Guitar Rig is a much cheaper option than an Axe FX unit.

The nice thing about it is that it makes it much easier to play along with tracks and stuff without having to blast so fracking loud that I'm damaging hearing. Is it as good as a tube amp? Live? no, but when I record it you can't tell.

Why not live? Because you're listening to a miked amp which is a recorded amp sound. IMO modelers do sound just as good when played with cab modeling off and out a guitar cabinet. But then you get into the volume thing again, and that defeats the purpose.

Considering the fact that I'm a keyboardist the only guitar tone that's really important to me is that of an acoustic guitar, just like that of an acoustic piano. Those I go by live. Otherwise electric? It just has to sound good and fit and I don't really care if it's exact, and that goes for synths as well.

I worry that some of this stuff will just slowly fall into the hands of long-term owners that won't sell, and it will become hard to find Randall MTS stuff.

For instance the Lynch Super V12 speakers got good reviews from hard rock and metal guys, and they're unique speakers that have found themselves into believers' hands. So when I'm looking to buy a pair, they're hard to find, and you have to wait a while.

I can see that happening with the Randall MTS stuff -especially the signature stuff.

OP: make sure to look into the Kemper Profiling Amp. I just nabbed one last week and it jaw dropping. Many Fractal owners have converted and it's less $. People tend to say the Kemper has better tone, the Fractal better fx. Either choice should be fun to play!

I agree with the weight thing, when i bought my mts amp i didn't pick it up till i got home. Sales guys loaded it in the back of my friends truck. The Rm100 head weights more than most 1x12 combo's! I'm sure that a lot of people didn't buy them due to weight.

This week i'm lucky enough to be getting a Mark V head :D. The question is do i sell the RM100 and modules or just the RM100 and pick up a rm4 at some point.

OK......
We used to move.....
A Hammond B3
A Baby Grand
A Marshall stack
An Ampeg SVT
A Leslie
Two Altec A7s
A Soundcraft board.
2 Crown DC300s
Play until 2:00AM
Bring it all back to the loft........
Go out to eat and watch the sun come up.....
And if it was a Friday night gig....
Go to work in the music store Saturday morning....
I was in my 30s