top boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvy

Reaction score
How does the top boost compare to a blackface? Which is a better clean? Also, which module would be best for a Hendrix or RHCP rhythm?

Both modules differ a lot. The Top Boost has a lot of gain compared to the Blackface.

Top Boost has some jangle and chime, more/less depending how much gain is used. There is a low gain mod for it, but still it breaks up early. If you like clean tones with a little grit then the low gain mod could work, as well as the Super V module.

The Blackface is clean and fairly full sounding. Nothing really special about it other than it can be the clean channel on your amp, I recommend using slightly lower gain tubes for a crystal clear clean. Although, it will play nice with a TS type pedal to drive into a SRV-type gain/sustain.

Between the 2, I'd say Blackface w/ OD boost for Hendix or RHCP. But really I'd go for a JTM or Plexi/Brahma.

but here is my 2 cents...The Blackface is very clean..and for many of the RHCPs stuff thats what you need..a very clean sound. I love my top boost, but okstrat is so correct it distorts to much..and frankly that chime isnt what is in the RHCP material..and not right for hendrix either. Jimi was using a Plexi...so a JTM or Plexi or a Blackface with an OD pedal is right..but a TopBoost is not as appropriatte...and a SuperV is cool, by all accounts...and is better than atop Boost for what you described..but Id be doubtful.
Just one guys opinion..but I am a tone nut..and I have played Jimi's stuff and RHCPs stuff live with my RM4 and I have learned from that.
so:
imho JTM,Plexi or SuprVor Black face with a pedal yeah
Top Boost no.

The Top Boost is designed to have some gain, you need to mod it to get the module to really clean up.

Wouldn't the DLX be a better idea for the Peppers stuff? Since it's a little fuller and gives you the choice of a slight growl that's there sometimes (if you listen to the live stuff that is).

I'm just working off the fender modules vid by randall on youtube though, it might be too distorted or otherwise..

I feel your pain. I tried the Top Boost once and thought the gain was beyond my taste.

I actually had a chance to play with a real semi-gritty AC30 for a few hours last weekend and at least for my ears the Super V is very much with it. I ended up liking the AC30 because it sounded a lot like my Super V! :D

Deluxe probably what you need.....or pick up a Blackface and send it to Pete...have him work up a clarity/warmth mod and put in a BF/Deluxe switch....there's a volume jump between the two but it's not like you can footswithc it in a live context anyway.

I really underappreciated the module I got from Pete like this...but then I play clean like 1% of the time...so :D

...if you think a DLX has too much gain...Pete can reduce that too.