trapped on a desert island and only 3 modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronharmon

Reaction score
You have to cover every tone from Dimebag to The Ventures which 3 modules would you take? You can include mods from any current maker

I'm thinking Twinface, because the Blackface rarely leaves my rig and the Twinface is a Blackface on roids

EV Trilogy because based on reviews it sounds killer and I love high gain

and ???

Not sure what else...

The reason I ask is because I have about 8 to 10 modules but they are all stock with the exception of a Turley modded Recto.

Since I rarely change modules, I'm thinking of pairing down to 3 or so that cover most anything.

What are your thoughts?

Aaron

Ahhhh, the ultimate question.... 3 rings to rule them all... er, I mean modules :D

It's a tough call. So many great mods now. I just got back in the MTS/MOD game, and I can't believe how much of a selection you have now. What a difference a few years make.

But, back to your question. I have to agree on the Trilogy - I've just ordered one. The Mamba I picked up last week seems to cover a variety of incredible high gain territory, as well. And for clean to edge of breakup, well, it depends :twisted:

I find that people argue over good clean tone even more than they do over distorted tone. Blackface vs Bassman vs Voxy - there's a big difference. No wrong answer, either. I tend toward the Voxy side, but that's just me.

The savation Stonerverb is a great module and is extremely versatile..The eq is very usable and easy to get a wide array of tones.....can do an almost clean,very vintage low/midgain tones and brutal,high gain tones.....and it pairs well with the Gigmod Recto....was actually going back and forth between those two tonight.......but if I could only have a clean a a dirty it would be the Stonerverb and stock clean or a loneclean...and I didnt think i would like the stonerverb,got it on a whim......to me it is kind of a cross between a recto and a marshall....has a more smooth OD like a Marshall,but can get a huge and chunky lowend like a recto....does great classic or modern metal....just have to try and check out as many clips as you can or try as many as you can....lol..it can be a sickness....

Huge fan of the Blackface as well so I would agree on the TwinFace AAAAND the Trilogy. I will be having me some of that here very soon! Hahaha! In the 3rd, I may have to go with a JF or Salvo XTC, though I didn't like my stocker at first. I realized that it shined on lead guitar and the modded ones have so many tonal options, as does the Trilogy. So...
TwinFace, ultimate cleans to grit
Trilogy, amazing array of brutal rhythm tones
XTC, diverse offering of lead tones

So with the two you mentioned, you have High Gain and Fenderish cleans covered. so something tonally different? Either something British (Voxless or one of the Orange clones) or possibly the Dumble OD. Either of those would give you something tonally different from the other two. I hated my stock XTC and couldn't really find anything to use it on. I sent it off and am waiting Rob's magic on it.

I would have to say, if we're talking versatility :

JF Plexi-Tweed for clean to mid gain tones (Voxless is a VERY close second)
JF 1959RR Platinum for just about everything else

Yeah Yeah...I like Marshally tones..so sue me.

The last one is tough.....probably JF XMG, although I really love my Salvo 1666, it's a one trick pony.....but it does that one trick so well.

I could never decide.

I only need two: The Sacred Grooves MK22 and the Sacred Grooves Rectifier (Prototype Diablo).

With those two modules, I can get Marshall clean and Fender cleans, as well as classic rock tones, early 80's tones and modern tones from the 90's to today.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Salvation Angel, H-Watt, Stonerverb, JF OD100, Superclean, SG Intruder, etc. But 90% of the tracks I've produced in the past year are either MK22 or the Diablo.

Truth be told, of that 90%, 70% are the SG MK22.

Truth be told, of that 90%, 70% are the SG MK22.

That's because Marshalls rule!

For me I'd say Friedman Brahma, my own brownstone, and either the judge or hilligan SL+.

At present I would say:
Brahma - Great clean to midgain vintage tone
59RR - Awesome Marshall goodness from clean to high gain vintage or modern tone
GTO/Beast - It is going through final revision & with the options should be able to give me some good cleanish to crushing agressive tone

This would be if no effects/other preamps/digital modelers are part of the equation. If the GSP sims live up to the hype and can produce some nice clean tones, then the Brahma would be replaced by the SL-OD100.

I've owned a lot of mods- the three most versatile mods I've tried were the Salvado Deluxe, RR Platinum and the Salvation Xtacy....these three can cover any type of music. If I had to choose three- The Judge, Masholdano and the Scorch would cover my clean, mid gain, high gain and lead tones.....

Xtacy w/Shiver switch. My favorite tone by far. Gooey mids, clean articulation up top, and just enough bite and hair.

Mash All is great, and Stonerverb, but geesh, that Xtacy just covers it all for my personal tastes.