Tube preferences and positions for the RM series.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread were we could put all of our observations about tubes with the RM series so we don't have to look all over the place or start multiple threads about them.... So I'll start:

I'm going to start with V1 on the amp.

I've so far tried:

1. used by me in a Marshall JVM, ANOS Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plate.
2. JJ ECC83S
3. Chinese Gen 8 12AX7 (white label Marshall)
4. Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+

I've yet to try an ANOS Mullard 12AX7 and may want to try something like a JAN GE 5751, and a Tung Sol 12AX7

The Telefunken gave a good overall character to the amp. It worked best with passives and single coils. I thought it went microphonic, but that turned out to be another tube so it could go back in at any time. Smooth mids, but didn't seem to like getting slammed that hard with boosts. Best with no boosts.

JJ: So after the false positive on the microphonics I tried the JJ. This was kind of spongy feeling, but did a decent job, especially with active humbuckers. Yet it seemed that once it got oversaturated it took a while to come back to normal. Moderately easy to oversaturate. Tonally very similar to the Telefunken with a few minuses.

White Marshall (Chinese Gen 8): This could have just been a weak tube because I've got one of these in the Brahma and it increased the output of that modules. This one is horrible. It seemed like it sucked tone. Single coils became lifeless, and the amp didn't roar with my actives. Passives were lifeless as well -- pull. But we can't make a decision based on one tube.

Recently acquired the Ruby from Dougs Tubes. Interesting tube, but very hot. I'm not sure I like it. It might be good in V2 of Mr. Scary, but I'm not sure for V1 -- he recommended it for V1. To maintain clarity I have to roll off the volume on the guitar to 8, and if you're already riding the volume knob it is easy to overshoot that. The full high output of the Duncan Blackout turns to mud going through any module with it's gain above 11:00. This is one of the things I didn't like about the Marshall JVM until I changed the tubes on that. I'll try it one more time today and roll back the gain on the modules even more.

I might try a ANOS Mullard in that slot just for the hell of it. We'll see if there's any magic fairy dust on it. Otherwise I'll go back to the Telefunken. And this reminds me I need to contact Doug's Tubes about that Chinese tube. He wanted some feedback. Maybe I should record the feedback from my axe.

I just got an RM50 and put the following tubes in it:

(2) ANOS Tung-Sol 5881s
v1 - Mullard 12ax7
v2 - Mullard 12ax7
v3 - Telefunken 12at7

With this setup the amp is very smooth and has great cutting mids. I took the stock tubes out as soon as I got the amp, so I don't know what it sounded like before I swapped them.

I can't wait to put a Slodano in this amp with the 5881s.