Tube switching on the fly

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I'm not sure what if any modification could be done, but would there be a way to switch what tubes you're using on the fly? Let's take a RM100 for example. Let's say that in slots 1&4 are each loaded with 6L6's and slots 2&3 are loaded with el34's. Would there be a way to run the amp in 50 watt mode per tube type and have it be foot switchable?

...So maybe I'm playing a Mr. Scary and want it to sound more like a Soldano and I'm running tubes 1 and 4- the 6l6's in 50 watt mode. Then in mid song I want to have the Mr. Scary to be voived more like a marshall. So, I hit my special footswitch which deactivates the 6l6's and activates the el34's.

Could something like that be integrated into future MTS amps? Could a mod be made to do this, or is just impossible?

Firefighter1428 said:
Get the Randall RT-2/50. You can have 6L6s on one side and el34s on the other
You took the word right from my mouth. That is exactly the benefit of the RM4 with RT2/50. The flip side to that is by having your RM100 you can run two tube types together at the same time into a mono cab, which is why I got out of the rack rig.

indytruckboy said:
SO wait, I can run a 6L6 in 1&4 and a E34L in 2&3 in my RM100?
Absolutely and that's what keeps me carrying the RM100 after owning the entire MTS line. The EL34L inside/KT88 outside pairing was so perfect for me I couldn't top it.

That's great.

What tube types do you guys recomend? I just bought the amp used. It had JJ E34Ls in it. I had a hunch after playing that it was biased wrong. CHecked it and it was cold. Reset.

Took it to practice. Now I mainly play metalcore. And I use a 5150 for that. And it does the work amazing. But the band is on a hiatus/slowdown mode as the real world surrounds. SO me and the drummer started a little side project so we could keep playing. We have no inclination of being rock-stars, we just like partying. SO we are doing punk, ska, rockabilly stuff they we grew up on. Our first local show scene were we started it all. Locals bars were we can get hammered, play songs that make people smile, and have a good time.
The Randall w/E34Ls sounded like poop.

Took it home. I had some various 6L6s laying around, as that is my tube choice of preference. 2 pairs of GTs that come from Fenders. And a quad from a spare 5150 I bought. SO I figured, wtf, throw a set in, set it up, and see before the guitar goes to the auction block. NOW IT SOUNDS AMAZING. With Peavey Super 6s, none the less.

I am ready to make a tube order to DougsTubes. Recommend me some types to try as I have never ventured past the 6L6/E34 realm.

The modules I am using now are: blackface, xtc, ultraxl

I love the blackface. Even more w/E34Ls. But I can adapt. XTC.....eh. Wanna trade it for a Plexi or SL. The UltraXL is nice. It's no 5150. But very workable. I have to get a tubescreamer in front of this amp. Playing metalcore for the last 3-4 years with a 5150, I had all the gain I ever needed and sold all my stuff off.

SHORT SHORT SHORT STORY= Recomend me some tube types, pre and post.

Here's my experience, and again, it just what has worked best for me.

EL34's: I love the way they cut through a mix better than anything else, but the lows tend to lack for me and the highs get too brittle for me.

EL34L: I love these since I get the bonus low end with the perks of EL34's.

6L6: Always a great bedroom tube for me but I have always found when gigging them I get lost in the mix and can't hear myself on stage well enough. Big round lows, smooth highs, but a midrange void that kills me on stage. Worth noting, I have only gigged 6L6's in pairs (RT2/50 for example) and never run just a quad of them. That headroom from 50 to 100 watts could be a difference maker. 5881's are better to me and I have a quad I have yet to try in my RM100.

KT88: Tons of headroom and perks of both EL34's and 6L6's. Big highs and lows and cut. My favorite set has been EH KT88's. I actually have a pair of JJ's I don't use that I would let go for $40.

My favorite pairing to date are EL34L's paired with KT88's.

So would it be possible to add a switch you could flip that takes alternate pairs of tubes out of the circuit....?

I mean you'd have to make sure the amp was on standby and remember to plug into the right jack in 'two tubes' mode....but a worthwhile mod IMO.

Jaded Faith said:
indytruckboy said:
Absolutely and that's what keeps me carrying the RM100 after owning the entire MTS line. The EL34L inside/KT88 outside pairing was so perfect for me I couldn't top it.

You can run the two sets at once with an RT250 too.

JKD said:
So would it be possible to add a switch you could flip that takes alternate pairs of tubes out of the circuit....?

I mean you'd have to make sure the amp was on standby and remember to plug into the right jack in 'two tubes' mode....but a worthwhile mod IMO.

Yep, piece of cake.

Pete

Jaded Faith said:
indytruckboy said:

I run the exact set up as jaded