UPDATED: Sparks Fly - Randall RM100 Head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianiac5150

Reaction score
Well friends...I recently stepped into the Randall MTS world with a used RM100 head purchase and was sooooo happy with this thing until yesterday. The last few times I've flipped the power switch a very loud electrical snap occurred. One time it did it once, then another time twice. Yesterday it did it once, twice and then - as I walked over in front of it - sparks started flying up out of the amp around the transformer on the right when facing it from the front. They stopped, I flipped the stand-by on and nothing. :cry:

I've done a bit of research here and throughout the www, as well as emailed Randall Amp support, however, I can't stop thinking about it and thought I'd throw something on here.

Any ideas here?

Either something shorted and arced OR someone was inside who shouldn't have and accidentally pinched a wire. It likely was slowly piercing the wire jacket and finally made it all the way through.

Stop powering it up and get it to a qualified tech before severe damage is done, if it hasn't been already. If the transformer is in need of replacement email me. I have loads of the stock ones in stock and will sell you one at a reasonable price. Good luck.

Rob

Thanks for the quick response, Rob!

Who knows what's been done with this thing prior to my picking it up. I'm hoping to find someone local who can take a look at it. Ugh!

So...this past Saturday I make the four hour round trip to the Randall recommended authorized repair center closest to me, pay the $50 bench fee and leave with hopes to hear back soon that my amp is back into the rockin' condition it was before the sparks. Today I receive a call telling me it's the power supply and it'll be another $150. I ask them to go ahead and they tell me it'll be done this afternoon. I make the four hour round trip again, get it home tonight, fire it up only to be COMPLETELY bummed that it has very little volume. I mean I have to crank the module level and master, crank meaning all the way up, before it'll get close to putting out the volume it did before with the module level around 10 and the master around 9:30. Previously at those settings you'd not stand directly in front of it long. Now it sounds like a much lower wattage amp not turned up. I can hear the tones which used to scream from it, they're just not amplified.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Of course, I'll call them tomorrow, however, I know I'm not going to easily sleep tonight. I was really hoping to crank this amp at this weekend's rehearsal and the show we're getting ready for, however, that is seeming pretty grim at this point.

:(

FWIW: I have tried multiple cables (instrument and speaker), instruments and the old bad/sticky FX loop jack jumper trick, all to no avail. Ugh!