VHT+ rm4 vs rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srrdude

Reaction score
I am considering selling my RM100 head in favor of a VHT 2/90/2 power amp (possibly others) and my rm4.

Opinions?

I think eventually i would expand to two rm4s, so seems like maybe a headless rack system might be the way to go.

Any one with experience with the vht 2/90/2?

srrdude said:
I am considering selling my RM100 head in favor of a VHT 2/90/2 power amp (possibly others) and my rm4.

Opinions?

I think eventually i would expand to two rm4s, so seems like maybe a headless rack system might be the way to go.

Good move!

SacredGroove said:
srrdude said:

Opinions?

Good move!

Thanks, i was going to re-tube my rm100 with kt88s or 6550s, but i figure since i have an rm4 and thoughts of another it would be nice to have a poweramp that already takes kt88s (the 2/90/2 for example).

I do however really like the ability to mix and max tubes on the rm100 and im wondering how possible this is on other amps like the vht and the mesa for example.

i've only ever head good things about the VHT. I dont think you can fit kt88s into the 2:90 or the recto 2:100 because its got 8 6l6s crammed in there. the vht uses 2 kt88s per channel. Seems more efficient to me, much cheaper tube changes.

Is the vht not dependable?

That is certainly something to consider... but i would really like o have some kt88s or 6550s. Is that even doable in a 2:90 or a 2:100? I mean 4 kt88s in one channel would be brutal, and i could leave the 6l6s in the other i suppose... but again i dunno if thats even doable.

well id rather not go from a 100 watt to a 50, otherwise it would be much higher on my list

srrdude said:
i've only ever head good things about the VHT. I dont think you can fit kt88s into the 2:90 or the recto 2:100 because its got 8 6l6s crammed in there. the vht uses 2 kt88s per channel. Seems more efficient to me, much cheaper tube changes.

Is the vht not dependable?

I owned a VHT 2/50/2 for 9 years and it was gigged for 4 years. I never had a problem with it and even though I don't gig anymore I've regretted selling it. I'll eventually get another.

i dont know if you can physically stuff 8 kt88 into the mesa.

you would need to have a bias mod done to it in order to properly bias the tubes as well.

i have heard the m4 system with the mesa 2;90 and it is by far the warmest sounding of the power amps.

the vht is great sounding but is much more modern sounding and a lot tighter although the mesa has voicing that you can mess with.

out of all the power amps from the vht line, i thought the classic 2100 with all el34s sounded best.

i currently own the randall rt 2/50 and love it. it is voiced great, i love being able to switch between power tube types, and i find it to be the loudest 50 watts i have heard in a power amp. easily hangs with the mod 100 power section, and sounds a little sweeter imo.

Well I think I'm most interested in a real tight feel. Perhaps the vht is the one for me

SacredGroove said:
The VHTs have voicing switches too, to go from vintage to modern.

yes, but still more modern to my ears even in vintage mode, compared to other power amps :wink:

I used a RM4 with a VHT 2/90/2 for a couple of years gigging. Its a killer setup - I only went back to a head and small rack because of weight and moving issues (I had a 12 space ATA shock case - that was way too heavy after 3am and too much beer).

I then moved down to a 6 space skb with the rm4 and vht along with a g-system brain and furman. It was a killer sounding system - just heavy. I had the newer series 2 VHT which was a bit smaller and lighter than the original. I thought it sounded better than any other power amp I have had or tried (actually my second choice was a Carvin T100 with e34l's in it).

Nothing against mesa, but they just didn't have the 3d sound that the VHT did (tried a 2:90 and a 2:100) - at least to me, and the VHT is a tank - it got bounced around/banged around - and generally used and abused by me - still looked great, and functioned flawlessly. Only issue I ever had was self inflicted. I biased a set of Tung Sol 6550's REALLY REALLY hot - and all it did when the tubes burned (sounded great for about two weeks - till the tubes literally burned out - complete blackend tubes) was pop the fuse - replaced it - new tubes and away I went. I still miss that amp from time to time - but the RM100 is getting me by just fine.

My current plan is to replace my rm100 with a rm4 and a vht. I'll keep a seperately rack for other **** so it shouldn't bemmuch heavier than my rm100. I hope.

I looked at the mesas and they are
really nice and cosmetically I think they are just the best, but truth is I don't want an 8 6l6c setup. I was gonna put kt88s in my head and I just can't see myself eliminating that possibility.

Even still... The local 2:90 for 650 is tempting. And I sure would like the vht to not be silver. Meh, I'll coat the faceplate.

srrdude said:
My current plan is to replace my rm100 with a rm4 and a vht. I'll keep a seperately rack for other s*&t so it shouldn't bemmuch heavier than my rm100. I hope.

I looked at the mesas and they are
really nice and cosmetically I think they are just the best, but truth is I don't want an 8 6l6c setup. I was gonna put kt88s in my head and I just can't see myself eliminating that possibility.

Even still... The local 2:90 for 650 is tempting. And I sure would like the vht to not be silver. Meh, I'll coat the faceplate.

the resale on the mesa is pretty consistant.

you could buy and try, if you didnt like, you probalbly wouldnt lose too much.