What do you guys keep your extramodules in?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisolson

Reaction score
Just wondering... :?

I've got three sitting out, and I don't know tha I want to stuff them away in a drawer. Are there any cases for these things? I'm almost considering getting a 3-4 spack rack, putting a power conditioner in it, and then a rack drawer for the rest of the space.

The Randall Shop has a module carrying case, but last I checked it was out of stock (and has been for some time). Lemme check again.

EDIT: Yup. STILL "temporarily" out of stock. Same as the knobs and power tubes.

RM4, M4, RM50HB, RM50HLB but I still have another 6 in a Randall module carrying case :lol:

I went through this same struggle a year ago or so and even looked into making my own case.

Finally I bugged Randall about when they would be in stock and they weren't sure but advised that I just order one. Sounds crazy, but I wasn't willing to put in the effort to build my own so I ordered one and it showed up like 3 weeks later. Website listed 'out of stock' during the entire process.

So I don't know if these are made to order or what, but you might contact Randall.

I think the carrying case is the best cheapest solution.

Julia said:
Inside the bubble wrap and inside the boxes they came in? What a concept!

Wow...really?? Now why didn't I think of that?

Not everything I have came in bubble wrap & boxes. Thanks for the sage advice, however... :roll: You've been a huge help.

PhiloBeddoe said:
I went through this same struggle a year ago or so and even looked into making my own case.

Finally I bugged Randall about when they would be in stock and they weren't sure but advised that I just order one. Sounds crazy, but I wasn't willing to put in the effort to build my own so I ordered one and it showed up like 3 weeks later. Website listed 'out of stock' during the entire process.

So I don't know if these are made to order or what, but you might contact Randall.

I think the carrying case is the best cheapest solution.

Thanks - THIS is helpful. :wink:

For transport that bag looks cool, but I'd be a bit concerned about durability since the modules do have sharp corners that could eventually rip through. Plus it doesn't seem to provide very much protection in case of impact. These modules aren't cheap.

I'd be tempted to spend a little more and get a hard attache case and put some foam in it -- enough to hold the modules in place. It would cost a little more but if the thing got dropped on the way to the car or into the building your stuff would be better protected. Just thinking, you know. I've been looking into doing something like this myself to be honest.

I know I was a big help with my smart assed answer, but it was really late or really early depending upon where you are.

If worse comes to worse you could get a small duffle type bag from Target and get some boxes in which the modules would fit at a place like Mail Plus, and also some bubble wrap bags for them. I don't like stuff just banging around.

Another good option might be one of the Pelican cases with the pull out foam. It would be fairly expensive, but nothing would keep your modules safer. I care spare tubes in a small one to gigs.

I actually use a hardshell hand gun case for that and I also keep my extra power tubes in it. Its a handgun size maybe 14" by 10". perfect for one module and two tubes. Obviously you could get larger ones.
Mine is made out of hard plastic,less then 3" thick and is super light too. Its a really good option for this purpose

I ended up putting together a small rack. I got a 4-spacer, put a strip in it, and a 3-space drawer to keep the modules. It'll work. I'll watch for a case though.

I've had two of the Randall module cases for 3 or 4 years.
The internal dividers that hold the modules are wood covered with plush
material. The case itself is also wood covered with padded nylon.
The weak part is the zippered top which is soft. All you need to do is put a piece of foam over the modules before you zipper the top.
I've never found the modules with any damage or abrasions.
Of course, I'm careful with how I move and handle things.
( Everything looks new)

A 4 space drawer works great with foam cut out for the modules. I prefer a Mod50 Mod100 2 M4's and that way i have 2 slots open.

Pelican Cases

They are the best thing I've found. Water tight, crushproof and pick and pluck foam that you can custom fit to the modules.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pelican-1300-Case-Black-w-Pick-N-Pluck-Foam-1300BK-WF_W0QQitemZ280328750116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4144e54424&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Quite some time ago there was a guy that sold 19" rackunits that held 8 (or 10, I don't know anymore) MTS modules. I believe it was a 3 or 4 unit rack drawer unit. Very nicely built with nicely cut foam and all, sadly enough I can't find those anymore :?

Baco said:
Quite some time ago there was a guy that sold 19" rackunits that held 8 (or 10, I don't know anymore) MTS modules. I believe it was a 3 or 4 unit rack drawer unit. Very nicely built with nicely cut foam and all, sadly enough I can't find those anymore :?

a 3 or 4 space drawer and a piece of foam is all you need to make those....

egnater.jpg

egnater2.jpg

Juggernaut said:
Baco said:

a 3 or 4 space drawer and a piece of foam is all you need to make those....

egnater.jpg

egnater2.jpg

That looks like what I'm talking about, nice :) I would settle for something like that :D Is that yours? How do you cut that foam so nicely?