what mod just "does it" for you?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Camerock has *that* tone in spades..I love the compression, the fluidity, the glorious butt-rocking tone...but it can get tired after a while.

The other mod I go back to frequently is the Gigmods Mark Series...had it since Pete first did them, it's epic.

The camerock is up there Imo as well, never heard the mark series by gig mods.. I'm assuming a mesa mark series? My curiosity is peeked with that one :)

I haven't played many of the modded mods, so the special one for me is the Egnater BMAN. Lovely cleans and the crunch on channel B is superb.

If traveling the country meeting hundreds of players has taught me nothing else, it's just how unique you all are. Almost nothing sounds the same or gets dialed in the same between two of you. One man's trash is another's treasure time and again. There's just no substitute for trying things yourself.

I often have guys spend a few hours in the shop checking out mods. They always like things they were shocked by and don't care for something they thought would be "the one" because of things they read online. I try to give objective feedback and the shop door is alway open to guests.

Rob

Rob, very well said !
To some of my friends, all they think is that Marshall is the absolute best... and nothing compares.. almost militant about it..
So I followed for a while, but I never saw the magic..
(Don't get me wrong, great amps and I certainly appreciate the tone) but it just wasn't for me.

Turns out , I dig the mesa type tones, and love the modular system and the flexibility of changing when I want to :)

Hats off to you guys !

Jaded Faith said:
I often have guys spend a few hours in the shop checking out mods. They always like things they were shocked by and don't care for something they thought would be "the one" because of things they read online. I try to give objective feedback and the shop door is alway open to guests.

Rob

I hope to take you up on this one day! I haven't really been in the market for any new mods in a while because it would make so much more sense to drive up there and demo with you than to just roll the dice.

JF 59BJA

Sometimes, simple is better. This was made for yet another project that died before it started, but I find myself really loving this and finding it WAY more useful than what I had thought or for what it was intended. This is just the perfect modded Marshall tone around - for me. I let go a lot of Marshall modules after receiving this... Friedman BE/HBE, SG MK22 & Bully. Sometimes you don't need to clutter a faceplate with fancy switches and graphics. This module has the tones.

drewiv said:
JF 59BJA

Sometimes, simple is better. This was made for yet another project that died before it started, but I find myself really loving this and finding it WAY more useful than what I had thought or for what it was intended. This is just the perfect modded Marshall tone around - for me. I let go a lot of Marshall modules after receiving this... Friedman BE/HBE, SG MK22 & Bully. Sometimes you don't need to clutter a faceplate with fancy switches and graphics. This module has the tones.

Interesting. What is that based on? Or what was the request in designing its tone?

nitrous12 said:
drewiv said:
JF 59BJA

Interesting. What is that based on? Or what was the request in designing its tone?

This module is based off Billie Joe Armstrong's Martin Goulub modded Marshalls. Channel A is the Dookie Mod (or PETE) and Channel B is the SE Lead Mod.

But they do so much more than that.

Jaded Faith said:
If traveling the country meeting hundreds of players has taught me nothing else, it's just how unique you all are. Almost nothing sounds the same or gets dialed in the same between two of you. One man's trash is another's treasure time and again. There's just no substitute for trying things yourself.

Rob

I would love to come visit you some time Rob. I grew up about an hour and a half from you in Nazareth PA where Martin Guitar is. I still get down that way occassionally, but its always family oriented visits and its **** near impossible to get away. Its in the back of my mind though and if I can ever pull it off I will hit you up.

drewiv said:
nitrous12 said:
drewiv said:
JF 59BJA

This module is based off Billie Joe Armstrong's Martin Goulub modded Marshalls. Channel A is the Dookie Mod (or PETE) and Channel B is the SE Lead Mod.

But they do so much more than that.

Thats cool. His tone does have a really cool grind to it.

Salvo Stonerverb- It just about nails how my old orange rockerverb MKI sounds.
Cammerock- The coolest modded Marshall tone ever. It makes me very curious about trying a CCV.

Thanks gents, I certainly try to be accommodating. One of the other things that often can be an eye opener when coming by is being able to hear various amps, tubes, speakers and cabs with ease. These are HUGE parts to the tone equation and difficult to check out objectively. Not here. I often do tune ups on guys amps while they are here and they are always impressed by how much better the amp sounds. I have heard some great MTS amps through the years, but I see a lot that are not nearly in prime shape and need some tuning up.

Loving my Jaded Faith "Primate" mod... Sooooooo killer!!! It's based on the guitar tone of Primal Fear.

JFPRIMATE_zps5044a3dd.jpg

To elaborate on my previous post that the JF SL-OD100 is my go to mod...

I often think of the analogy of comparing a small boom box to a full blown home sound system. Playing the same CD (or whatever media you like) sounds big, full and powerful on a nice sound system while playing it on the boom box gives you some tunes, but just isn't the same.

When I had a chance to play my MOD50 rig in a room with bass and drums doing some harder rock I tried a few modules and when I put the SL-OD100 in I couldn't believe how much bigger and fuller it sounded. From low to high it was just broader and more powerful. It has the right amount of low end that is tight and punchy (it can be dialed in a bit fatter and looser too). Mine has a mid sweep which I find extremely useful. Its got the right thickness I like while maintaining great articulation. And the highs are biting and aggressive while not being harsh or piercing.
It feels and sounds right in every way to me and it comes out and smacks you in a really cool way. And while not as drastic as a boom box to a full system, it has a noticeable difference in the mix.
The Silverado and Trilogy sounded good too, not as big and dominant. The Snakebite I couldn't get to work much at all.

I find a lot to like in all of my modules right now! And I agree its such a cool concept and having these different types of amps to move to keeps things fresh for me and inspires me to do different things.

Jaymzrock said:
Jaded Faith SL-OD100. This is the perfect all around performer. I use it in my Channel 2 but it's typically where I switch back to from a higher gain channel for solos. It sounds perfect for what I play. Soars through the mix every time and sounds **** brilliant.
Salvation Shiver. It has this woody grind, churning sort of sound. Really hard to describe but in all modes, as soon as you dial it in 'it's there'. And you get it. I sold mine a while back and have regretted it ever since. Rectifying that decision when Uncle Sam pays me back.
**Honorable Mention**
Salvation S1S0. Pure killer, no frills, In Flames, bad a$$, nom-nom tone. Again, it's hard to explain...imagine taking a length of PVC pipe and striking it on the end with a sledgehammer. It has that tone. Not the sound of course, but this characteristic. I have heard it in my head for years and it's spot on. Especially palm-muting phrases.

Here you go James:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-MTS-Module-Salvation-Mods-Shiver-/291059153913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c47a3bf9#ht_68wt_1366

Saw your post, then this... Figured I'd stoke that GAS, lol.

Jaded Faith 59RR MKII (not custom/platinum) is the one I play every time I touch a guitar. Everything I love about different Marshall models and the most reactive to pick attack and guitar volume of any mod I've played.

If not tied, a very close second is my Jaded Faith MarkX. Love playing old Metallica and Maiden and it does it right. Set it and forget it. I never even touch the knobs.. Just switch guitars.. My all around favorite tone..

My JF Rverb and JF Voxless are both amazing with a TS9 in front. They have totally different feels, but are great for a large number of applications.

I have a few I really enjoy in my RM4.

JF - Vybe Deluxe and Erect
SG - Fisch LE
Salv -Buddy and Stonerverb Starz

I know it's more than one but I really like them for different reasons, and having 4 different preamps is too cool!

Mine is the JF59 rr plat. I have owned since Rob offered them. It has almost always been in the rm50 and it is just such a killer mod. Does it all. Clean to mean. Great with pedals, can be open sounding or compressed, vintage or modern. Recently I have found a great new tone out of it with a strat, running in jmp mode 1/2 gain, running a compressor pedal at high output. Just a great tone.

Latest posts