What module gets into the Megadeth relm?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodge

Reaction score
I have:

XTC
Grail
Mr Scary
Super V
modded Tweed

the XTC isn't getting it for me, and I can get a similar tone out of the Grail...

What module gets/nails the Megadeth tone?

Cheers!
JR

I would guess if you ran your Mr Scary scooped you'd have that tone no prob.

I've personally never been a fan of Megadeth's tone, I like their music, but personally I think their tones sucks.

tlingen said:
I think the newer SL+ with the JCM800 mod included does a great job at Mustaine's tones

When you say "newer SL+ with the JCM800 mod included", do you mean a newer Sl+ that then has been modded to JCM800 by either Pete or Dave; Or you mean that that's the way that they're shipped from the factory today?

Sorry for the ignorance.
Thanks,
Alex

With what you have already, I'd probably get an Ultra or XL.

Pete

Bonerhed said:
tlingen said:
I think the newer SL+ with the JCM800 mod included does a great job at Mustaine's tones

When you say "newer SL+ with the JCM800 mod included", do you mean a newer Sl+ that then has been modded to JCM800 by either Pete or Dave; Or you mean that that's the way that they're shipped from the factory today?

Sorry for the ignorance.
Thanks,
Alex
In '07, the SL+ began shipping already modded to what was the SL+ -> JCM800 mod previously. Certain components changed, and PCB is (slightly) different.

That aside, only Pete or Dave can speak for what they additionally might suggest.

Yes, I meant shipped from the factory, 2007 and forward. It's a noticeable difference. Pete and Dave's mods for the SL+ are very good also.

I had the 1086 that was modded by Pete and in the MID SCOOP side....it was PURE MEGADETH HOLY WARS tone!! **** near dead on to the record.
Stock 1086 sounded ok but his modded 1086 is the cats @ss!! 8)

Mailman1971 said:
I had the 1086 that was modded by Pete and in the MID SCOOP side....it was PURE MEGADETH HOLY WARS tone!! **** near dead on to the record.

So wait, was it AJFA tone or HOLY WARS tone :?

They sound a lot different to me and I've heard you say the 1086 is good for both....c'mon share the settings :D

JKD said:
Mailman1971 said:

So wait, was it AJFA tone or HOLY WARS tone :?

They sound a lot different to me and I've heard you say the 1086 is good for both....c'mon share the settings :D
Just add a little more MIDS for the Holy Wars tone and leave them scooped for the AJFA. That "scoop" side of the Pete modded 1086 nails all the THRASH metal. We do Testament "Souls of black" on the Mid scoop side and it FREAKING ROCKS! Also some Breadfan and Am I Evil. really love that scoop side for the late 80's thrash metal.
Pete did wonders this time around with the 1087 module!!!
KILLS anything that gets in its way!!! :twisted:

I just did a 2 band practice day....Blues band: Fender Strat: that 1087 really sounds great with the gain half position, smokin dirty tones, with lots of sustain
Band 2: metal: the 1087 smokes gained up, wow....I am seriously considering a 2nd because I love such a variety of settings on the module that I may need another! Scooped side is flat oput awesome, I don't know if it's dead on Holy Wars or AJFA, but it is a tone that smokes on that genre! Probably not dead on because this 1087 is better

If you want Megadeth tone, then get an XTC or Recto, ship it to Salvation Mods and get the Custom 3 mod. It's based on both Dave and Marty's 'Countdown To Extinction' preamp, and sounds incredible !!!

SALVATION'S "CUSTOM 3"

your not gonna get any closer

somebody mentioned the dead plate. cool sounding module...but megadeth?

crankyrayhanky said:
I don't know if it's dead on Holy Wars or AJFA, but it is a tone that smokes on that genre! Probably not dead on because this 1087 is better
Well said.......That is what I wanted to say but you hit the nail on the head. The NEW 1087 is BETTER! 8)
Get one and RIDE the wave of Brutalness! :D

Mailman1971 said:
crankyrayhanky said:
I don't know if it's dead on Holy Wars or AJFA, but it is a tone that smokes on that genre! Probably not dead on because this 1087 is better
Well said.......That is what I wanted to say but you hit the nail on the head. The NEW 1087 is BETTER! 8)
Get one and RIDE the wave of Brutalness! :D
Sorry, but I have to:

ls08.jpg

bhuard75 said:
SALVATION'S "CUSTOM 3"

your not gonna get any closer

+1.

I'm the guy who ordered it. It's really is AMAZING!!! 8) BTW, I owned a Suhr modded CAE 3+ for a while, and I like this through my Eggy M4 more.