what module is a good hot rod marshall tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmf5150

Reaction score
i have the mr scary so i dont want something really close to it?xtc?sl?what do you guys like?

I have a Mr Scary and an XTC....my ideal situation would be XTC for leads (cause it's very smooth) and the Mr Scary for rhythm...cause it's nice and 'growly'.

Egnater SL2 and the new EG5. Great hod rodded Marshall tone......SL2 is more plexi oriented and the EG5 is like the 80's hard rock guys with the upper mid boosted 800's.

Bantam Menace said:
I have a Mr Scary and an XTC....my ideal situation would be XTC for leads (cause it's very smooth) and the Mr Scary for rhythm...cause it's nice and 'growly'.

That's how I'm currently using mine. :D I really like the Grail module, but right now I'm liking the XTC better.

Buckeyedog said:
Egnater SL2 and the new EG5. Great hod rodded Marshall tone......SL2 is more plexi oriented and the EG5 is like the 80's hard rock guys with the upper mid boosted 800's.

I would have to agree with this, however, I would add that the SL2 is a bit more organic and raw sounding which I prefer. The SL2 module also works better with a boost in front if you want to play it that way compared to the EG5 which plays better plugging straight in.

..but with more gain. I do love my stock Plexi module..the voicing is just fine. I just wish I could push the distortion of it even more..by like 30% would be great. I have a Brown, and it distorts well..but that voicing isn't as nice,to my ears.
Any suggestions to get my plexi to distort more (with out a pedal infront)?

GTRGeorge,

Send it to Dave Friedman, he mods them Steve Stevens has one as his core rythm sound and i think his prices are very reasonable with a couple of weeks turnaround..
Cheers!!

Modded SL+ or Brown. I use a modded brown for rhythms and leads, depending on how loud I'm able to play on stage. SL+ does well too.

Pete

opps forgot you could send to okstrat as well his stuff sounds great .

30% more gain is a lot , you might want to step up to the sl+ as mentioned

I'd think of them in these terms (stock):

Plexi
Plexi + gain = Brown
Brown + scoopier + gain = SL+

An SL+ with the JCM800 mod (you can find details on how to do it on this board) might be just the ticket you're looking for, as it shifts the mids and isn't quite so scoopy.

Another option is a one channel egnater module, but I didn't mention those because I don't have first hand experience with them like I do the modules above.

Pete

I love Pete's mods! Highly recommeded! I use an SL+ and an XTC, both modded by him for my two main distortion sounds and a stock Blackface for cleans in my RM100.

Sorry if this has already been answered but...

Is the modded SL+ like a JCM800 or a modded JCM 800?

Is there a mod... modded or stock that does the origional JCM800 tones plus a modded for high gain JCM800 tones?

Do these JCM800 mods sound good with 6L6 tubes aswell?

Craig

Stop saying that :evil:

:D

Does it still look like the new modules will be ready to ship shortly after namm?

sorry...but i got G.A.S.! :twisted:

seriously...it's worth the wait. hear it for yourself!

see below...courtesy of our very own RD/Rich...

As I?m sure many of you know, we are rapidly coming upon the most exciting time of the year for gear fans, the Winter NAMM show. Every year manufacturers converge on Anaheim, CA for the week to show and demo their new exciting products for the year. Right now we are currently developing our new gear that we will be showing. Usually a few select artists and guys here at the factory are the ones that get to see what happens behind closed doors. This year however we wanted to try something a little different. We make these products for you guys and we want to show our appreciation for your dedication to Randall Amplifiers. We are going to do a Randall New Product Demonstration that we wanted to open up to all of you here at the Grailtone Forum.

At this Randall New Product Demonstration, we want to give you guys a chance to check out all of the new products that we will be showing to the world at this year?s 2008 NAMM Show. You will have a chance to not only see and hear our new developments while providing valuable feedback, but also to get hands on and try them out for yourselves. Also, there will be a factory tour so you can see first hand how our (and some of our sister companies) product is manufactured. Finally, we will have a light lunch available for the participants

We are currently looking to offer this on either Friday, December 7th or 14th from 1-4pm. This will be open to any and all who can make it up here on the day we pick and we want to make sure that we can have as many of you as possible. I?ve put our address below so please take a chance to look at your schedules and post which date would work better for you or if both are OK. On Wednesday, November 21st I will post the day of the Randall New Product Demonstration and I will ask that you guys PM w/ your name and email so we can gauge how much food to get. If any of you would be coming from out of town and looking to stay at a local hotel we may be able to get a lower rate. Please only PM about this AFTER the date is posted and if you have any questions please feel to post questions here. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you.

Randall Amplifiers
444 East Courtland
Mundelein, IL 60060

Steve negleted to put all of the message above which included our address.

Randall Amplifiers
444 East Courtland
Mundelein, IL 60060