What power amps do you use for your RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still wish I could replace my RT 2/50 with something lighter.
I see Marshall simgle space rack power amps from time to time..and the Rocktron velocity 100 looks good. And the old 250 model has good reviews.
And my rt 2/50 also seems to sound different room to room (voltage issues affecting the tubes???) I would like it to be more consistant. Its not the acoustics..its the tubes I think.
So anyone try the velocity's with our beloved Rm4???

GtrGeorge! said:
I still wish I could replace my RT 2/50 with something lighter.
I see Marshall simgle space rack power amps from time to time..and the Rocktron velocity 100 looks good. And the old 250 model has good reviews.
And my rt 2/50 also seems to sound different room to room (voltage issues affecting the tubes???) I would like it to be more consistant. Its not the acoustics..its the tubes I think.
So anyone try the velocity's with our beloved Rm4???

If you want something a little lighter and single space then try a Mesa 20/20. I used one for years before my VHT.

jlbaxe said:
yeah i have two rt2/50 amps with a pair of 6v6's and el34's.just curious about the sound of the yellow jackets.

Man, I just saw this 6 months later. LOL... anyways, the EL84s lose a lot of low end and just 'bigness' - however, if you want a really authentic Top boost tone, they really do help.

Pete

My fav is my MosValve MV-962. Nice neutral amp that seems to do well enough with all my modules.

If I want "AC30-like," then I can always opt for EL84 power. With my Plexi, EL34. Shy of that, the MV does all-around fun for me :D

I seem to go through power amps like underwear
anyways here some opinions based on having actually owned a few of these mentioned

1) crate power block best $100.00 piece of insurance you can add to you rig. does not sound sound as good as many other shoices but cheap and not offensive sounding at all. I keep one in my truck for those just in case moments double well as a good practice amp.

2) VHT 2502 musical and magical sounding power amp. Makes any Preamp I tried on it sound better. if you are not going to get a RT50 this is the one you want. More musical than the mesa sounds better at lower levels.

3) Mesa 2:90 too freaking heavy overkill for just about anyone but very nice sounding maybe approaches the 2502 for the heavier tones. This amp sounds best at decibel levels that are ridiculous and if you do not have the opp to play it loud don't get this one seriously

4) RT50 sounds great with super great flexibility used they are fantastic values.

5) Rocktron velocity if you get one get the big one (300) the little one is awful not enough volume. the 300 wasn't bad but still a bit sterile and takes up 2 rack spaces too big for SS sound.

6) Carvin T100 great tube amp for the money able to switch between 6l6 or el34 very nice tone very VHT like sound the older ones are better and are a great bargain 2nd hand. I really regret trading mine.

7) And finally my real contribution to this thread (no tomato throwing please)
ART SLA-2
cheap sounds very good if a bit sterile lots of volume and light
seriously for the price these things are trading at its hard to pass up. I recently got one to power my wet signal and do not regret it one bit. I just cant stand lugging these heavy a$$ tube power amps around to gigs (And I usually take 3 cabs!) Been very reliable so far and sounds great. Best of the solid state amps.

Hope his helps and again this is just my .02
VR,
///MK

Mesa 20/20, been using it for quite a while. Works well, but I am thinking perhaps a VHT2502, or maybe the RT2/50...

Who knows, maybe I'll just leave it all alone for a few weeks. ;-)

ReMark said:
Mesa 20/20, been using it for quite a while. Works well, but I am thinking perhaps a VHT2502, or maybe the RT2/50...

Who knows, maybe I'll just leave it all alone for a few weeks. ;-)

I am using a Marshall 20/20. Does a fine job for lower volume stereo power. I think it's a good poweramp but gets a little wooly sounding at higher volumes.

I too am thinking to upgrading to a VHT or RT2/50 - but would that really be a wise move as I am not currently giging?

After having my RM4 for a couple of weeks, I am really impressed with Randal MTS!
Mike

Tried out the following amps with my RM4. Carvin TS100, Marshall 9005, Randall RP2/200, and Mesa 2:100. I've never really cared for Mesa gear but I ended up keeping the 2:100. That thing is a monster!

Greg