What would you do? Need buying guidance.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animalstack

Reaction score
So I am trying to pick up playing again after about 7 years of forced retirement. Reviews have lead me to the Randall MTS series. My overall knowledge of amps is rather limited, but I have money to spend on a good one. I do not anticipate that I will be gigging any time soon but I want a sweet sounding amp to relearn on - one that can get rowdy without blowing the windows out of my house. I am opposed to the combo amps because I don't like the speaker options and for that money I would rather buy an Avatar cab with my own speaker selections. So right now these are my choices:

RM20HB $ 679 new without mods
RM50HB (returned/blemished) without mods $799
RM100M2 (used for sale locally) with BF, Plexi and XTC mods $1100

The RM100 with 3 mods sounds like a great deal, but can I get a good, low-volume, practice-quality sound out of it? I am inclined towards the RM50 because for the xtra $120 I get 6L6s and 2 channels, whereas I have not heard many positive things about the EL84s of the RM20.

What would yo do if you were me?

Buy the RM100. These amps are fine at low volumes, and you won't notice a huge difference anyways between the 50 and 100. I like the 20, but for a little more you can get THREE modules and a three channel amp.

It's a no-brainer to me!

Pete

+1 on the RM100. If you are worried about volume you can always remove two tubes to make it 50 watts, although at low volumes it really want make that much of a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110212669331

I'm jus' saying ;)

(It's not mine by the way)

JKD said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110212669331

I'm jus' saying ;)

(It's not mine by the way)

That's a sweet deal! I like how the Lynch Box looks, except for the logo...

Pete

That's a sweet deal! I like how the Lynch Box looks, except for the logo... Pete

Finally! Somebody who speaks the truth! I brought up the topic of the logo before on another forum and it was like I was speaking blasphemy or something. I have the Lynch box and love the hell out of it--best amp/most favorite amp I have ever had in 30 years of playing. But I think the logo probably looked good on paper, but the way it turned out, it just looks like a blob from any distance. That's way I obtained a solid brass skull and bones to replace the Randall logo.

You can?t go wrong with the RM100 or the Lynch box ? three swappable modules make it very versatile.