which module for 5150\6505 tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmecka36

Reaction score
which module comes closest to a high gain 5150\6505 tone?i remember reading some where that the xtc is the closest thing is this true?

Ultra XL most likely.. that's what I'm looking to get. I believe the XTC is more for smooth lead playing than high gain.

sorry guys, the kh-3 nails this , used to be ultra xl was close but the kh-3 does this easily and much better imo- has that dirty dryness and all the gain of the peavey

if you don't pick up the KH3, which I am sure is great, the Ultra XL is a great module!!! really am pleased with it, just a bit bright, so you have to dial in with your ears.

i've also just made the transition from 5150 to rm100; i rehearsed with my band for the first time last night with my new head, and the ultra just didn't quite have that "dirty punchy gain with almost-but-not-quite-out-of-control feedback" of my old block letter. sounds like the xl is worth trying out.

what about power tubes? mine has el34's and 5150 ran 6L6's (ruby).
any comments on tubes/tone?

My bud has a 6505+ that I will be able to compare to with an Ultra XL I'm getting soon. I'm guessing the 6505 and 6505+ is nearly the same, correct?

The 6505+/5150 II has an extra 12ax7 in the preamp plus there is EQ on each channel.

http://wolfgangregistry.com/5150-info/5150-info.html

The 5150II has the following differences:

Rhythm channel crunch is foot switchable
Adjustable bias (cold range)
Separate EQ for each channel
Separate presence and resonance for each channel
Brighter overall tone
Better clean tone
A little less gain on the lead channel (6 gain stages)
A lot less gain on the rhythm channel (3 gain stages