Which Module or Who to mod Randall SL+ Module ??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhead5

Reaction score
Newbie here --Actually lurker who decided to register .Got a Randall plexi module I love to death Decent gain very open and Marshally sounding .Not the case with me SL+ .Doesn't sound as open and the notes don't sound as defined ,Kind of compressed sounding .Need someone to "open it up"

Ok here's my take, I've seen so many modders and custom made modules Including jaded faith and Salvation that I'm confused and don't want to be disappointed .Trying to find someone that understands what I want.Kinda like taking My plexi module tones to the next level .

Any help would be appreciated and I'm not oposed to buying one from a forumite .Thanks in advance !!

What year is your SL+?

I run the gain on mine at noon. The note definition and openness depends upon the instrument. With single coils it has very good definition and Marshally sound. With my SG same. With my Schecter with the JB bridge it's fantastic. With my ESP Alexi with Duncan Blackouts it can get mushy unless I roll off the volume knob on the guitar to about 8. I've had this issue on a real Marshall amp when I was using an EMG 81 -- I had to roll off the volume knob to tighten up the signal. With the Alexi, I usually roll off the guitar volume to 7 and use a rangemaster boost for the 80s Heavy Metal sound. For more intense stuff, I let it rip.

So if you're using active pickups try that and see if that works. If it does, you're good. I'm thinking if you clip the input valve too much you'll muddy the signal. Sometimes you want to do this like with modern metal, but if you're going for a more vintage sound, try rolling off the guitar a little.

If it doesn't work any of these people: Pete, Salvation, Jaded, Friedman, and if I left out anyone it's because I couldn't remember, can do the mod for you.

Jaded Faith (Rob) just modded my SL+ and it is pretty friggin' sweet. It was totally worth it.

I recommend you get a mod (and recommend you mod it through him) but don't get too carried away. Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, Nightwatchman) once said something to the effect of "Once I realized this tone is it, that it doesn't get any better, I was finally free to create." I think Julia knows the exact quote.

To grab that Morello magic....

1. Keep it real -- be true to yourself. This will keep you away from shred competitions.

2. Go with what you know -- to quote Tom from a GP interview when asked what guitarists could do if their tone was stuck in a rut,

Tom Morello said:

"Well, I'll tell you what I did when I encountered that problem -- I gave up. For years, I tried to find this perfect tone I had in my head. Then one day, I spent a few hours fiddling with my gear and decided that I didn't particularly love the tone, but it wasn't going to get any better. So I marked those settings and said, 'now I'm done. This is my sound.' And those settings are the same ones that I used in today's rehearsal -- as well as on every record and at every show I've ever played. When I stopped worrying so much about tone and started worrying about music, the problem went away."

3. Don't always go for the good stuff -- sometimes gear is too perfect and lacks character. You know that ringing you get from springs on your FR that drives you crazy sometimes, and you stuff a kleenex under the springs to mute them? Think of it as a "spring reverb" lol. or that microphonic pickup? figure out how to use that property. I love that funky bridge on the Fender Mustang.

a ton of other things too. little stuff.

Julia said:
To grab that Morello magic....

3. Don't always go for the good stuff -- sometimes gear is too perfect and lacks character. You know that ringing you get from springs on your FR that drives you crazy sometimes, and you stuff a kleenex under the springs to mute them? Think of it as a "spring reverb" lol. or that microphonic pickup? figure out how to use that property. I love that funky bridge on the Fender Mustang.

LOL @ "spring reverb", it actually drives me crazy. I'm putting Kleenex in all my guitars now.

I really deeply respect Tom Morello on many levels..
but I do have a problem with my **** FRose springs...It interfers with my focus..call me shallow..and Tom a master,but I got stop that **** ringing. for me, after that Im free to create.
But man, is Tom so correct,or what?

I think to many of Us focus on the wrong stuff.

I am happier since I let the tiny stuff slide..see me live and and I hink you'd agree it IS working. Tom is right. I have only 1 module modified (and just one one the way..thats it.).

I forget where I found this tip, but you can take plastic fuel line for lawn mowers, cut it into spring size lengths, and fit it in the center of each spring. I did this to all my floyd equipped guitars. The spring noise is gone and the floating bridges are still fully functional. I have the diameter of the fuel line written down somewhere if anyone is interested.

Ugg said:
I forget where I found this tip, but you can take plastic fuel line for lawn mowers, cut it into spring size lengths, and fit it in the center of each spring. I did this to all my floyd equipped guitars. The spring noise is gone and the floating bridges are still fully functional. I have the diameter of the fuel line written down somewhere if anyone is interested.
The Fuel line works good, or you can use a small piece of guitar polish cloth under the springs

A much simpler solution is to just use a rubber band threaded through the strings. Depress the bar with your legs, stretch the rubber band and thread it through.

I actually have pieces of foam in there.

Step one: cut 3 pieces of foam to the size that they're just a big biger than the springs.
Step two: make a loop out of an old string and thread it through one of the springs
Step three: hook die foam into the loop and pull the string through the spring gently
Step four: cut off excess foam and repeat 2 and 3 for the other springs.

:) The advantage is that you can do this with the trem springs installed, so the foam will be the right length. Also some guy I know used surgical tube or something, cut it too long and now he can't pull up :lol:

I never noticed a ringing noise ?!?!? Don't give me something else to obsess about !