Which speakers do you like with your RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tubes In a Hat said:
The V30s to me have a certain coarseness about them. Definite crunchiness happening.

While I think it's a cool sound in itself, and I don't think I've ever heard a rock god that didn't make them sound absolutely AWESOME, I just find that I'm more of a G12-65/Classic Lead 80 type of guy.

I think those speakers are a bit tighter on the low end with a midrange that's more to my liking and rounder highs... but that's just me

In my band we span from jazz to country, funk, classic rock, metal... indie-ish type sounds. I'm not really a mid-scooper, but I prefer a low-mid focus to a high-mid focus... if that makes sense.

G12-65 have long been my favorites, I find the V30's harsh in most cabs, particularly with the RM100. They seem to bring out the fizz. That being said, I have a Mesa 212 horizontal that liked its V30's, but they are really broken in, which does seem to tame them a bit.

There are currently older G12-65's in that Mesa box, and the Mesa V30's are mounted in my Egnater 412 x-wise with two newer Heritage G12-65's. It works well, but there's still a bit of the harsh present, at least to my ears.

I think I may end up replacing the V30's with WGS ET65's in the Egnater box and see if the cheaper version works well... from all I hear, they are great speakers, and a lot less $$$ than the pricey G12-65.

Anyways, I've always found the G12-65's to be really nicely balanced, and they do sound great with the RM100 and the MOD50. Chunky, but not muddy.

Try the WGS ET65....I had the Celestion reissue versions and sold them because the WGS version sounded much warmer/balanced/smooth...like my original Celestion 65's I had years ago

Get some Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=2