why no 5150 mod???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

severedmetal

Reaction score
being one of the most recorded amps for rock and metal why has knowone tried to make a custom 5150 lead channel module?? Any suggestions??

I've heard that the UltraXL is pretty spot on. Remember that the 5150 was copied from the Soldano SLO100 that Eddie used to record F. U. C. K. So if you want a 5150 you can easily get any Soldano mod or the UltraXL.

Peace, Joshua

My Ultra XL is way too tight and bright to be a 5150. Not even a 5150II. it falls some where between the 5152 and the Engl E530 I used to own. Mine is old and missing both guards so it is possible it's been modded and I don't know it too.

yeah cool. thanks for the info. i know the 5150 is based on a slo but i wouldnt say they sound similar. 5150 is much thicker. its like the slo is based on a hot rodded marshall but has its own unique voicing

I got Jaded Faith to do his full mod to my Ultra and it absolutely slays! Can get you into 5150 territory (and beyond!) with ease. Best hi-gain module I have owned yet.

yeah i was thinking of sending my ultra to get petes pro mod when i get some spare cash money.

First time posting. I currently have some modules with Anthony at Salvation. He let me know he's currently working on a 5150 mod and a Krank mod as well.

I just had salvation do a S1S0 mod for me and it should be getting sent to me anytime...so i really cant tell you how it sounds yet but he did give me a pic of it.

S1S0left.jpg

Piney Hills Music said:
the S1S0 looks REALLY cool...

Thanks! :wink:

Anthony has some great idea's for design. :)

bansheeburner, do you know if they recorded a demo with it before he sent it?
Otherwise we probably have to wait for the second order ;)

Well it showed up at my door step! It looks amazing and sounds perfect too, just what I was looking for. Anthony caught the peavey sound and soldered into my module. Great work! It has mode 1 which sounds like a 5150 lead, which i really like for rhythm. Mode 2 seems to tighten up a bit and sounds more focused. Then if you flip the fire switch when you're in mode 2, and it gets even tighter and it really screems. It is very adjustable, and im not so used to that. You turn a control and it actually makes a change. All and all I have'nt spent a ton of time playing with it but I can tell you it sounds great and if you want a peavey sound this is it..also its got a noise gate and it works great, no horrible gritty hum.

I've owned a 5150, 6505+, 5150 II, and FJA 6505. Every time I got one thinking the same thing, "Alright, THIS time it will sound like I expect it to--the way people talk about it." And, everytime, I sold them, disappointed. They have insane amounts of gain but have a certain fizz and mud about them that is just unbearable to me. This problem is well documented by many 5150 users and some of the best recordings of them don't have this. That's why I kept buying them; people I heard using them had badass tone, but it just never worked for me. I don't know if that's due to improper EQ (I tried about everything people suggested) or what, but it wasn't cuttin it.

That being said, I dialed in the Ultra XL (stock) perfectly in about 3 minutes, literally. It has the tight, crisp, staccato nature I'd always wanted in the 5150s. Similar amounts of gain, similar tone, just way tighter and more defined. I definitely prefer the Ultra XL to it. So yes, they're similar, but I think the Ultra XL is an upgrade for sure.

I tend to use a lot less bass with this module than I'm used to..if you crank the bass it will get abit of grit to it. I also changed the tubes and everything got cleared up. The ultra xl is a good tone but is just to thin for me. I really was going for the matt tuck tone (bullet for my valentine) tone and this hit it right on the head.

I agree with chuckmehh - the 5150 has always sounded fizzy fizzerson to me as well. I've played with one guitarist who's 6505 sounded good, but it had been through a tube change and some tweaking.

Definitely shoot for the ULTRA XL or a similar mod. With a little tweaking, You'll get that non-fizzy tone.