wisdom of rm20 users

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter420

Reaction score
I have an rm50, with 6v6 in it. But I'm thinking of getting a marshall class 5, or an rm20. What am I missing out in the rm20 vs the 50? Thanks everyone!!

Unless you get a RM22, then you will have one channel vs. 2 on the RM50. The RM20 has a boost function that will partially make up for that.

You will also lose some volume. I have a RM22 and while it gets pretty darn loud, it does not really keep up when my band really cranking. If we have a handle on our volume it is OK.

Another thing I have noticed about the RM22 is that when you crank it hard, the higher gain modules end up sounding either the same or very similar. I think this is because of the power tube saturation that takes over at high volumes. I was amazed when I tried a modded top boost at full gain, a modded XTC and a Voodoo JMP in the amp at full volume, there was very little difference in the tone - when there should be a huge difference.

Thanks, does the 20 have that nmv vibe to it? Its gonna be for alone jamming so volume isn't an issue. Can it get that marshall 18 watt thing going?

Go grab some YellowJackets for your RM50...

The RM20 can get ungodly loud and I never liked the feel of it compared to the 50.

I have never had the chance to play an 18 watt or NMV Marshall, but I can say that the power tube break up on the RM22 sounds great. It has EL84's like the 18 watt Marshalls. EL84's have a very specific tone to them.

I think JKD probably did not like the sound/feel of the EL84s. He's right though, the RM50 sounds ballsier and has a totally different feel. The RM20/22s are great, but they have their limitations.

Personally I love the 20. Vs the 50, you have XLR and 1/4" line outs. Boost and cheaper tubes. Its easier for me to dial in my tone with the 20. I have jammed with peeps and had no issues with volume. It usually dropped a few mouths with the fact it kept up and had a little left. I spend more time on my 20 so maybe that makes me biased but I love it. If I had a 22 I would probably get rid of my 100. I just feel a full 50 or 100 is unessesary in most situations. Mind you I was using my Carvin 4/12 for full volume. The down side is one module. I usually rolled the volume off on my neck pickup for my cleaner sound and then flipped the switch for gain! Lots of fun. I wish I had my second one back. :cry:
Hope this helped. Now brew me!!

KillTone said:
I think JKD probably did not like the sound/feel of the EL84s. He's right though, the RM50 sounds ballsier and has a totally different feel. The RM20/22s are great, but they have their limitations.

Nah...I really like the EL84s in the YJs in the RM50....it's the feel of the EL84s in the RM20 I don't like for some reason.

Nor will it help with the laundry...However I'm still gassin' for one... 8) EL84s are weird creatures...When they breakup they tend to oversaturate in my experience...Has anyone figured out anything else instead? I know little of power tubes beyond the basics and the standards...6L6 Varieties, EL34 varieties, 6550s...

Mattfig said:
Nor will it help with the laundry...However I'm still gassin' for one... 8) EL84s are weird creatures...When they breakup they tend to oversaturate in my experience...Has anyone figured out anything else instead? I know little of power tubes beyond the basics and the standards...6L6 Varieties, EL34 varieties, 6550s...
I love the EL84s. Almost all my favorite amps use em. I just think lower wattage sounds great. Just my opinion. Shoot I would trade my RM100 for a RM22! Yeah, I know, Im crazy. Hahahaha

Mattfig said:

Absolutely wonderful at lower volumes...especially in the softer triode mode...reckon that's about 9W total.

6v6 is the only other option I've come across with lower wattage and they're somewhat less satisfying :shrug:

I have a pair of the Groove Tube branded Yellowjackets that work for your RM50 that I'd sell you cheap if you want....With a pair of new EL84's to boot...I've tried it in the RM50..They sound great....PM me if interested

I have 2...YES 2 RM20 combos. I also have an RM50 combo I run through a Peavey 5150 bottom straight cab. I love the tone of the RM20. Light & portable. I can load my STOCK SL+ in my RM20 & blow Marshalls Class 5 & Haze amps out of the water...ALL DAY LONG !!

You can pick up RM 20s for under $375. They sound amazing !