which medium gain to High-ish gain mod has the best clarity?

MTS module area including module modifications

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

withmittens
Lynch Box

which medium gain to High-ish gain mod has the best clarity?

Post by withmittens » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

that's it. need to know your opinions on which one

by clarity I mean to say note definition in chords and triads, partials, etc. while beefed out on gain. I'm not referring to the mods designed to do Nu Metal or Modern Metal. Just the mid to just above mod gainers.....

While also having warm, responsive EQ section. Tight

thanks
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

Mattfig
Donating Member

Post by Mattfig » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Humble OD.
Matt Fig -
MotorCity Mods
www.motorcitymods.com

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks, Matt. I reckon that's what the Dumble is known for, yeah? I'm not sure I like the smoothness of it. Although it sounds very good in a blues context It;s hard to know if it will do Rock without that smooth, modded Deluxe sound.

I have no idea if that makes any sense.
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

Mattfig
Donating Member

Post by Mattfig » Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm

It rocks a lot actually. ...
Matt Fig -
MotorCity Mods
www.motorcitymods.com

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com

Capt_Tippy
RM100

Post by Capt_Tippy » Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm

withmittens sounds like you're looking for something in the plexi flavor.

The Dumble is very clear but it does lean a little towards the blues side of life. I have an old Plexi/Tweed of Robs that (I hate the Tweed side but) the Plexi side has an awesome rock tone to it. I'd suggest you look at something in that direction.
Moral of the story, buy extra tubes, and don't pay up charges. Good luck, cause tube buying is a crap shoot.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Mon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Capt_Tippy wrote:withmittens sounds like you're looking for something in the plexi flavor.

The Dumble is very clear but it does lean a little towards the blues side of life. I have an old Plexi/Tweed of Robs that (I hate the Tweed side but) the Plexi side has an awesome rock tone to it. I'd suggest you look at something in that direction.
I was going to say Marshall camp but decided not to limit the thread. I have a Duoplex that is great and I was wondering if there were a Brit flavor that was especially defined with very good note separation of chords.
RM22, RM4
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

Capt_Tippy
RM100

Post by Capt_Tippy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:15 pm

I don't know... I'm not really a Marshall/Plexi etc guy.

I like ENGL's and Mesa's and I even really like the Dumble as well.

I don't like Friedman's work, but I do really like the JJDirt.

Have you tried a JJDirt?

I never owned or played a DuoPlex so I can't compare.

JJ has a great Rock tone, and it's pretty clear and defined.
Moral of the story, buy extra tubes, and don't pay up charges. Good luck, cause tube buying is a crap shoot.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Have not tried JJ. I'm not quite sure I understand that one, like the Splawn. These are modded Marshalls?

I think note definition also has a lot to do with tightness, and I'm also not sure what that mean, cut bass and a mid boost? maybe lower mids to middle mids?

if that is true does the Mashaldano make sense or and XTC style? don;t know if these mods have especially defines chord sounds.

Perhaps the Cwatt that I won has the best note separation that I own.
RM22, RM4
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

Capt_Tippy
RM100

Post by Capt_Tippy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm

I think (If I have this correct) The JJ Dirt is based on a Friedman modded Marshall that was modded for Cantrell. The JJ100.

I never liked any of the clips I've heard of the Splawn.

Mattfig
Donating Member

Post by Mattfig » Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 am

I will only add that Humble OD has quite a bit of unique gain available....Much more than you'd think and far beyond what is needed for blues....Rock n Roll comes right out in OD mode....

You may also want to consider a Legend, lots of gain, great note clarity and definition....

Good luck!
Last edited by Mattfig on Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fig -
MotorCity Mods
www.motorcitymods.com

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com

audiomidijace
Donating Member

Post by audiomidijace » Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 am

The Jaded Faith XTC is great for mid gain tones. Lots of tone options with the structure switch and blue or red channels. It does that "just barely broken up" tone really well with the Plexi channel as well.
RM50, Orange PPC412 w Celestion V30s.
Modules: SG-MK22, JF Twox .
Pickups:MotorCity & BareKnuckle
Dunlop 95Q Wah, TC Nova System, Wampler Tumnus
AVID ELEVEN RACK & Atomic Amplifier 12
Transactions:Lots!

leonsun
RM20

Post by leonsun » Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm

I really like the S1S0 crunch sound with mids turned up. Articulate yet massive.
RM50, RM100
Erect, S1S0, Jose HG, JF MarkV
JVM210H
Mesa Single, Mini recto
JCM800
Krank Rev1
Mesa, Engl cabs
Gibson LP Custom, PRS Modern Eagle, PRS Tremonti, Fender strat & tele, LTD TE407, Variax 600

http://reamp-studio.com

msm222
RM100

Post by msm222 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm

A Sacred Groove XTC has many cool tonal variations - especially the toggle between the Blue and Red channels...

trimix
RM100

Post by trimix » Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 am

Yeah, my mid gain module is the JF XTC. I use the red channel with the structure in the low/old setting. Not so much a fan of the blue channel's voicing, even though it's usually the mid gain sound.
Love it for picking through slightly dirty chords, then step on a boost to crunch it up.
Egnater- M4, SL2X D/S
Randall- RM4, Clean, 1086, Mr Scary, Grail
Salvation- TwinFace, MarkUs
Jaded Faith- Twox, XTC, Custom RVerb
Sacred Groove- Custom SL+
Mesa/Boogie- Simul 395 Stereo
(2) Randall 4x12- X-pattern Vintage 30/G12T-75

withmittens
Lynch Box

Post by withmittens » Sat May 06, 2017 7:59 am

Are all these suggestions mods that are liked or ones that are particularly defined and have great note separation in chord work...meaning each note can be heard clearly on a crunch chord?

The C-Watt is fairly defined, as an example. A Marshall blends everything together in a warm yet singular sounds, more so.
RM22, RM4
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE