Ultra xl va V2 sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I am duplicating a thread I made in the module forum, so basically I am wondering how the two compare cause the only module I have liked so far is the Ultra xl. I feel like the rm100 is a waste with only one module I have liked so far

I've owned both sir (a V2 ninja and RM100) and can tell you I was in the same boat. I went through every stock high gainer and always ended up with teh Ultra XL. Honestly, it was the only one that I even considered liking as much as a V2 (in retrospect, I liked it better haha).

Then I got into modded modules.....The hype is real dude; I promise! Get a nice Salvation high gainer like the Mamba, Angel, Mashall+, Salvado Deluxe, or 1666 (the one I had), and the V2 cannot even come close. I love the V2 also, don't get me wrong, but the modded modules are on a different level.

I recommend you try one out and if you still don't think so, go with the V2, no harm done; they're great amps as well!

thanks for the reply, I have tried a few modded modules but they just were not cutting it for me. I definately wanna try some of the salvation mods.

JeffHenneman said:
thanks for the reply, I have tried a few modded modules but they just were not cutting it for me. I definately wanna try some of the salvation mods.

I felt the same way after trying a JF Ultra XL and Gigmods Modern along with some user-modded modules, but the Salvation stuff is really cream of the crop. I would go for that first anyway because, chances are, if you don't like them, MTS just isn't for you haha It pretty much doesn't get better than Salvation's work! I got a Mamba on the way and will let ya know how it is bro!!

I like the stock xtc personally..it sounds so huge and articulate,has tons of gain as well....guess it wouldnt be good for the extreme metal though,not as much compression as alot of those type of ampsbut fom what I have heard the Salvation stuff is where it is at.Some Gigmods stuff is cool as well....Im getting a Kranken soon.......

alowerdeep said:
I like the stock xtc personally..it sounds so huge and articulate,has tons of gain as well....guess it wouldnt be good for the extreme metal though,not as much compression as alot of those type of ampsbut fom what I have heard the Salvation stuff is where it is at.Some Gigmods stuff is cool as well....Im getting a Kranken soon.......

Yeah I think he's looking for the more extreme metal sound. I had an XTC once and didn't mind it at all. It was actually pretty **** good and heavy, a lot more so than I expected for sure! Gigmods makes great stuff but none of it has ever resonated well with me; Salvation's stuff has always impressed greatly. I have a Mamba on its way to me and have owned a 1666 before. The 1666 is effing awesome, and I highly recommend one to the OP.

chuckmehh said:
alowerdeep said:

Yeah I think he's looking for the more extreme metal sound. I had an XTC once and didn't mind it at all. It was actually pretty **** good and heavy, a lot more so than I expected for sure! Gigmods makes great stuff but none of it has ever resonated well with me; Salvation's stuff has always impressed greatly. I have a Mamba on its way to me and have owned a 1666 before. The 1666 is effing awesome, and I highly recommend one to the OP.

Yeah,Id be interested in hearing the 1666,from teh clip I heard I like the plain 1086,thought about getting one of them an dmaybe have it fixed up later...Im wanting the Kranken now....

I will have to try out the 1666, I keep getting a lot of suggestions for salvation. I just scored a v2 ninja and will do some camparision of it and the ultra xl

JeffHenneman said:
I will have to try out the 1666, I keep getting a lot of suggestions for salvation. I just scored a v2 ninja and will do some camparision of it and the ultra xl

Sweet dude!!! Looking forward to it. The V2 ninja is the same one I had. KILLER amp!

I copied some of the post I had in the module forum just in case someone is lookin for info a the Ninja V2
"After fighting a cold all week I was finally about to put a Newly aquired Ninja v2 against the Rm100 w UltraXL module
I will start out by saying that these two sound completely different. The Ninja has one of the most unique voiceings I have ever tried, and I have owned a lot of amps and have been trying out tons and tons of amps lately.
The Ninja has so much low end It is borderline comical. on the tube channel my settings are bass @ 12oclock , Mids @ 2 oclock, treble @ 1 oclock, Tight switch engaged. Density all the way down, and Presence @ 12 oclock. And this thing is just crushing on the low end. This amp has lots of gain, but is so very very clear. It is such a unique voiceing. One thing I also noticed is that the solid state and tube channel are completely different voicings. Never encountered this type of thing on a channel switcher before. I wish the tube channel had some more saturation in the gain, I tried different tubes, and it changed a little bit but not very much.
Also the top end is borderline brittle but dry."

I think what you're missing in the stock modules is the clarity.
The Salvation Mods bring that back, to which degree depends on which mod you choose.

I have an Ultra here that sounds pretty cool on it's own.
But when I stick the Salvado or Mash-all next to it, it suddenly seems dull, balls-less ;)

Why don't you e-mail Anthony with your wishes and ask him which of his mods he thinks would work for you?
I'm thinking the Chupacabra seems like the thing for you!
Otherwise, Mamba / Kraken.

Also:
Try other tubes than JJ's, especially in the V1 of the amp and the module.
Electro Harmonix and Tung Sol have far more clarity and oompfh

I totally agree about the electro harmonic in the v1. After spending more time with the amp I love it, I am sending my xl to get modded into a special edition mamba. One thing I noticed is tube changes make a big difference with the mts line. Most other amps I have had did not respond as much with tube changes

JeffHenneman said:
I totally agree about the electro harmonic in the v1. After spending more time with the amp I love it, I am sending my xl to get modded into a special edition mamba. One thing I noticed is tube changes make a big difference with the mts line. Most other amps I have had did not respond as much with tube changes

Agreed...The modules all emulate another circuit and therefore respond entirely different to certain tubes...Once you have all your ducks in a row gear wise (cables, speakers, guitars, pickups, EQ) then playing with tubes will really make a difference...I have a lot of tubes here and am still amazed at how different each module can sound with different tubes....It's actually very frustrating at times for me because I make infinite changes and then go back to previous configs...It's a mad cycle...In the end, there's no magic combo except each person's own idea of tone...If you REALLY give a **** about nuances and such, you gotta toy with tubes... :)