The lowly Bad Monkey and pedals in general.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike361

Reaction score
Paid $20 for it used at GC. Had always heard they are tone sucks, but wanted to give it a go. Played it with some modules and I have to admit it is a awesome pedal. Reminds me of a muff type with the tone around noon, but with a OD flavor. It does take some of the highs of but that's part of the sound. Thinking about sending one for a bypass mod. We should start a good pedal thread here.

I named my modded SL after the Bad Monkey

It was an anemic sounding SL that I a few values on playing around with thought it sounded very similiar to a BM on steriods

Mine has beat out more expensive pedals (a lot of xotic stuff) and only recently bumped to the side when i got an MXR classic overdrive for 50$. (which is essentially the ZW-44/GT-OD in one pedal with internal switch) I still run the lowly ZW-44 and together they kick. ZW-44 a bit more transparent the way i run it, classic OD for jucier leads. They kill. Cheap pedals are great, I don't subscribe to the mod this and that pedal and spend 80$-100$ more on it. Just get the pedal you want.

the BM is a great overdrive pedal. It is also a tone sucker. Terrific when it's on, detrimental to your signal when it's off. I had popped mine in a true bypass loop. Have since replaced it with a CMATMODS Super Signa

Kapo_Polenton said:
Mine has beat out more expensive pedals (a lot of xotic stuff) and only recently bumped to the side when i got an MXR classic overdrive for 50$. (which is essentially the ZW-44/GT-OD in one pedal with internal switch) I still run the lowly ZW-44 and together they kick. ZW-44 a bit more transparent the way i run it, classic OD for jucier leads. They kill. Cheap pedals are great, I don't subscribe to the mod this and that pedal and spend 80$-100$ more on it. Just get the pedal you want.

I have one of those MXR's and they are pretty sweet.

Bad Monkey does the job, but just never did it for me, but then again mine was stock. Joyo vintage overdrive's are about $40 or so, TS808 clone and does it well. Worth a shot

I had one and really liked it too. It had one cap changed and it really helped the mids smooth out. Very underrated pedal. Its always good to
see those little hidden gems out there found.

I actually got mine from Brewtus (thanks dude!) and I love it as well. It has the C5 mod as he mentioned and it does give me that perfect lead boost when I need it, and some great feedback during slight pauses that can be hard to pull off sometimes. Killer pedal!

Alright, I feel **** stupid, what is the c5 mod? I could just google it, but that ain't no fun.

It's VERY easy and beneficial...It is simply removing the cap exisiting in C5 and replacing it with a .1uf cap....It takes out some of the muddy mids but leaves enough in there to sounds great and simply be more useable....

I just did mine right on top of the circuit board, took 5 minutes and the tone is much better to my ear...

Here's a question...I use mine primarily as a lead boost. Is there any mod that can be done to increase the amount of volume added when the Monkey is engaged? Not the gain, I usually keep that at 3 or below. Just wondering if there was a way to jack up the boost by adding/taking/changing something on the board.

Latest posts