Time to sell all your gear

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
303 dislikes... Some jealous players out there! :(

Her talent is definitely being nurtured at the right age. Pretty much 90% of of all I know on guitar was learned between the ages of 14 and 15 and I've been riding those coattails for 30 some years. I'd probably be a lot better if I wasn't so lazy about learning new things and didn't spend half of my life smoking way too much pot... :roll:

suphuckers said:
Nightdare said:
15 years old holding a $2K+ Vigier

...some lead a privileged life indeed

Well I hadn't really been paying attention to that, but she's also probably wearing a $1000 jacket. Good Eye. :)

Oh people may accuse me of jealousy, that's their right (and they're probably are right)
But I think it's not hard to imagine she probably didn't have to lose valuable practice time
running a paperroute for months to get enough money for a $75 PoS Sears guitar

Nightdare said:
15 years old holding a $2K+ Vigier

...some lead a privileged life indeed

Well, talent is talent, no matter how rich/poor you are.

Paul Kossoff had a 'Burst bought for him by his wealthy actor father, David Kossoff. I don't think we judge him on that any more. :)

goldtop said:

yes, but my dad wanted me to concentrate on school, so no paperroutes or whatever to save up, and I could wait for hell to freeze over that he'd ever bought me a guitar, who knows how much talent I wasted

(probably not much, but it is a truth that children learn much faster and easier, unlike me buying my first guitar at age 20)

Nightdare said:
goldtop said:

yes, but my dad wanted me to concentrate on school, so no paperroutes or whatever to save up, and I could wait for hell to freeze over that he'd ever bought me a guitar, who knows how much talent I wasted

(probably not much, but it is a truth that children learn much faster and easier, unlike me buying my first guitar at age 20)

Yeah I agree somewhat Nightdare. I think the point though is... regardless we should just enjoy her playing and not be envious of others ;)

Like I said much earlier in this thread... I didn't even notice any of that until it was pointed out. It is hard to see other people have privilege, when we didn't have that same privilege. I didn't either, and I started to tell you my story, but why? LoL but... Just enjoy the music ;)

Nightdare said:
goldtop said:

OK, so what you're saying is that your Dad ruined your Rock God life? :D

Email the link to him and let us know how he answers. ;)

goldtop said:
Nightdare said:
goldtop said:

Haha I can imagine what my answer would be if my kid (who actually isn't a bad guitarist) tried to blame his lack of practice time on me lmao. It's funny, and it brings up the point that... If you had done your homework (and this probably goes for me too), got decent grades, and asked for some guitar gear... We both may have been surprised what Dad would have found a way to provide. The same I'm sure goes for my kid (who did in fact get provided quite a bit of gear, he may or may not have deserved) heh

My school friend tricked his Mum into buying him a new Gibson Flying V. This was back in the day, and in England when they were not cheap guitars (we were both Schenker fans).

So he deliberately slacked off at school to get bad grades, then got her to agree that if his grades improved she'd buy him the guitar. She fell for it, and he got the guitar in about 6 months.

Kids, eh...! :D

goldtop said:

I think I can be very grateful to my dad for his parenting
even though he was Scrooge McDuck when it came to luxury expenditures

Alas, the graveyard has no facebook page

Nightdare said:
goldtop said:

My folks thought guitar/music in general was a waste of time and would never pay off. So it was nothing but STEM for me as a youth, then engineering school. They were right about engineering paying off, lol. So now I'm 35 and just starting to learn guitar, partly as a means of spending time with my daughter(7), but also partly for me. On the bright side, I do have plenty of disposable income for gear that I do not yet fully understand how to use though :lol: . The girl in the linked video is amazing, much respect no matter how spoiled she may be.

As for the very nice guitar, it's quite possible she's endorsed by the company.