Bad loop or solder joint ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egynd

Reaction score
I have some squealing in my amp when using pedals in front and in loop. I know all about the +4 and stuff.. and i have checked everything except this....

i opened my amp tonight and saw this on the PI tube socket and loop tube socket.

is these the culprit you guys think ? I appreciate any help i can get :)

IMG_20121102_022642.jpg

IMG_20121102_022653.jpg

I had a similar joint issue on my rm50, but it was funky popping instead of squealing. Try re-flowing the sucker.

wesarvin said:
I had a similar joint issue on my rm50, but it was funky popping instead of squealing. Try re-flowing the sucker.

did that. it is not so noisy , but the squealing is still there... hmmm..

Squealing is always some kind of feedback, either electrical (electronic) or
acoustical (mechanical).
The first thing I would do is unplug the guitar while it's squealing and see if it stops or changes in sound. Then, leave the cord plugged into the amp but short the tip of the plug that would be plugged into the guitar to ground and see what that does. If unplugging the guitar stops it, then it's an issue with the guitar, i.e. microphonic pick-ups, hardware, etc. If not, the levels in the effects loop, too much gain turning into feedback, (if you amplify a signal enough, most all tubes become microphonic) proximity to other electronics, computers, video screens, etc. should be looked at.

wesarvin said:
Hmm....

Talk to Rob?

I talked to Rob ,and tried the tips he had for me, and sent him a sound file whit the squeal... and well.. he is gonna tryto produce the sound with his amp to see what it may be.

I guess I have to wait for him , cause I have tried all his tips now:)

ibenhad said:
Have you tried the pre-amp tubes? Replace them one by one.

yes done that to. But good news. It was a cold solder joint WITH a loose cable .So everything is in working order now :D

Glad to hear that this is all worked out now and sorry I wasn't readily available for you last week. Between the hurricane here and the trip to Detroit I never got an opportunity to test it. Sounds like you are all set now though.

Rob

Jaded Faith said:
Glad to hear that this is all worked out now and sorry I wasn't readily available for you last week. Between the hurricane here and the trip to Detroit I never got an opportunity to test it. Sounds like you are all set now though.

Rob

Hey no problem Rob. I`m really happy for all the help you provided.And i know how bad it was with the hurricane.

at least now all is working, so i can drool after your mods. :)

That was proof positive that every now and then its not opne problem but possible 2..which can confound some troubleshooting.
GtrGeorge
..glad it was an easy situation to fix

GtrGeorge! said:
That was proof positive that every now and then its not opne problem but possible 2..which can confound some troubleshooting.
GtrGeorge
..glad it was an easy situation to fix

thats so true.. i always tend to check everything i can if there is something wrong on the inside of an amp. maybe im anal about stuff , but this time it was smart :)