Delay pedal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
What's everyone using for a delay pedal with these line level loops?
Looks like I will be playing regularly at my church so I want to move from my HD500 to my MOD50 and just need a delay. The amp will sit in a room back stage so I will probably want one that takes a battery so I can just leave it on and sitting on the amp.

The only decent delay that I know of that will run on batteries and work at line level is the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay. But for the hassle of batteries, I'd just deal with a power cable.

Expected battery life under continuous use; Carbon: 2 hours, Alkaline: 7 hours
These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.

If you can get past wanting to use batteries then I'd suggest a Strymon Timeline or Eventide Timefactor. I really don't care for TC delays compared to the others mentioned.

Also based on what I've heard, the Timefactor is more loop friendly than the Timeline. I see Timefactors going for Very reasonable prices used these days. Also worth mentioning the Eventide Pitchfactor is a really great delay plus you get all the harmony and whammy effect too.

delays chew batteries. The TC Electronic Flashback & Digitech Hardwire both run on batteries & will handle line level. But a 9v will only last an hour or so with either of them. For the cost of a few batteries, you can buy a One Spot, plug the pedal & amp into the same board and leave the pedal sitting on the amp

Haven't tried a Strymon or Eventide, but I'm currently using the Flashback & like it a lot.

Yeah, you know I am not sure where my head was. The little room they put amps in is basically a storage closet. But There must be power in the vacinity as...well amps need power duh. So I should be able to get an AC power source. So I just need some options for a line level delay.

VitaminG said:
delays chew batteries. The TC Electronic Flashback & Digitech Hardwire both run on batteries & will handle line level. But a 9v will only last an hour or so with either of them. For the cost of a few batteries, you can buy a One Spot, plug the pedal & amp into the same board and leave the pedal sitting on the amp

Haven't tried a Strymon or Eventide, but I'm currently using the Flashback & like it a lot.

The Flashback is a great choice if you want a small footprint and I thought it sounded great for the short time I had one. The Hardwire is another great choice I forgot about.

VitaminG said:

That Flashback looks interesting for the price range. The looper might be good to have too. So it handles the line level ok? I have a MOD50, but I think all of the Randall and Egnater modular stuff is the same line level so I would expect my experience to be the same as yours.

I kinda did a similar thing getting rid of the hd500. For church, especially modern church stuff along the lines of Nigel Hendroff or James Duke, you need a couple of good modulation-sounding delays and a good verb, compressor, volume pedal, and one or two dirt pedals...

Basically a huge pedalboard going into a clean amp.

I use a Timeline for most of my delays, occasionally kicking in an m5 using th tube echo patch. It all goes into a Neunaber Stereo Wet with a favorite switch, so I can kick in a quick lush pad sound. It's all controlled with a G-Lab GSC2

Running into a loop sounds great, but when amps are in iso boxes off stage, it makes more sense to just use a pedalboard. Plus, you'll definitely need tap tempo...U2 Edge style dotted eights aren't going away anytime soon in P&W :roll:

wesarvin said:
I kinda did a similar thing getting rid of the hd500. For church, especially modern church stuff along the lines of Nigel Hendroff or James Duke, you need a couple of good modulation-sounding delays and a good verb, compressor, volume pedal, and one or two dirt pedals...

Basically a huge pedalboard going into a clean amp.

I use a Timeline for most of my delays, occasionally kicking in an m5 using th tube echo patch. It all goes into a Neunaber Stereo Wet with a favorite switch, so I can kick in a quick lush pad sound. It's all controlled with a G-Lab GSC2

Running into a loop sounds great, but when amps are in iso boxes off stage, it makes more sense to just use a pedalboard. Plus, you'll definitely need tap tempo...U2 Edge style dotted eights aren't going away anytime soon in P&W :roll:

You bring up some interesting points and some concerns I have had for going this route.
Because I don't have access to the amp I was concerned about being able to adjust EQ. I don't have dirt pedals and have no interest in going down that road. I was actually wanting to go with a JF ODS for the overdrive and maybe my Silverado for the clean parts. After rehearsal last night I realized that as long as I get my volumes equal and the tone sounding good in the back its then really up to the sound guy to EQ the final product anyway. I can control my monitor volume with the IE system.
I will need some long cables including a longer midi for the footswitch. Thats part of the reason I was thinking of leaving the delay back there so I can throw it in the loop and not have Send/Return cables going out to my board. But then I have no control over it. Not sure yet if that is an issue. I only did one service so far and I ended up using one delay that was always on. I am starting to think I don't use delay right :oops: I never really bothered with it much and never use tap tempo or anything. I tend to just set something that isn't too over bearing and leave it. I like to keep things a simple as possible.

The HD500 is easy and everything is right there in front of me. But with going to an every 3 week or so rotation I know I am going to want a more pure tone. There is always a trade off one way or the other.

I feel you. I used to have no interest in the no pedalboard route either, but I finally gave in to the crowd. It's the best, and quickest, way to get what you need for that situation. BTW, companies like Joyo and E-Wave make some REALLY good clones of the popular dirt pedals for pretty cheap...like $40 cheap. I've turned to those for dirt and compression, because I can buy a bunch and find what works for me, for the same price as one expensive one.

Oh I forgot about the cable issue:

What are you using for a pedalboard and tuner?

Once those guys are sealed up, there's no touching it until tear down. I can't even switch mine on standby between services. The only other option is to run a head on stage and run a long speaker cable to your cabinet.

I actually use that method somewhat, as my rm20 sits on stage with a speaker cable going to a 112 in an iso box. I also have an rm50 just running a twin mod in the other iso box. Yes, it's stereo, yes it's overkill, but why just leave the other amp at home all by its lonesome? Plus, for the congregation in the middle, it helps them get more engaged with the pads surrounding them. Kinda like subtle lighting changes, nothing over the top, but just a wider stereo spread.

Ah.. I forgot these links, which are an invaluable resource.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4R-Gx_gaWU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DX4R-Gx_gaWU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCdpkhNl5Q&feature=fvwrel
http://www.precisepraise.com/p/guitar.html

I have a Furman pedal board that I have a Volume, wah and tuner on. I place my Egnater FS on it as well. I can silent tune with how I have it set up.

Gotcha. What delay are you using? If it has midi, you could just use your HD500 to control everything...or even use your HD500 for all effects, just turn off the amp sims.