Egnater module setup or AxeFX?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseygree

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been rocking my Egnater Mod 50 for about 5 months now. Love it, but have been intrigued by the AxeFX hype, especially with the Ultra getting cheaper and cheaper.

I started with 6 modules, and have since sold the Bman and the COD. Am now selling my VX module as well and keeping only the SL2, EG5 and the T/D.

Was curious to hear opinions from those of you who have tried both the Axe and the Mod series. Pros and cons? Power amp recos? Wish you still had one over the other? Anyone run the Axe through a Mod? (or would that make no sense whatsoever??)

Thanks,
Casey

caseygree said:
Anyone run the Axe through a Mod? (or would that make no sense whatsoever??)

Thanks,
Casey

I can help with the theory of this part.

You could do what I do with my GSP, setup the MOD and Axe in 4CM to use the Axe as an effects only processor with no am or cab sims, but that seems like overkill.

If you wanted to use the amp sims on the Axe, you could plug it straight into the FX return, making the MOD a power amp. Or, if there is a module you really like, have a clean, neutral sounding module to switch to when you want to use the Axe for an amp sim.

The question you need to ask is will you really use all of the Axe features? If you are after only a few tones, stick with the MOD.

I was wondering the same thing myself!

I have a GSP-1101 and the amp modeling on that is pretty impressive! I wonder how much better the AxeFX or Eleven Rack are, because the 1101 gets some pretty good tones through my EL34 100/100 and 1960B's for well under 500.00

I'm interested to see where this post goes

Good Topic!

H

Yes

If you need to have a headphone apt. studio, and have $$$ coming out your rear, then the AxeFX is the latest and greatest!

If you have a studio where you play with the rest of your band and run off to gigs on the weekend, then you need the Egnater Mod.

ONLY AN AMP, sounds like an amp.

Have fun!

what do you think you need the AxeFX for? If you're already paring your Egnater rig down to your essential tones, do you really need all the versatility & depth of tweakage that the Axe will offer?

IMO If you are talking about preamp tone you're better off with tubes. What better way to generate tube tone than with the genuine article. I'm not totally convinced that any digital emulations are capable of replacing the real deal just yet. Besides most of the pro Axe users use it for the effects and run real tube amps for their tone.

:lol: :lol:
There have been a number of threads the most recent being about 10 pages on this board. You will have people on both sides who believe this is better than that & vice versa. As well as "X" producer or bands use the Axe or Tube amps on "X" production (or at least the ads claim they did). :lol:

speedemon nailed it. If you need an apt "amp"/recording unit then the AXE is probably the way to go. I personally don't think it is the best solution as I don't think SS emulations are that good for overdriven amps. Cleans I think any SS device can get you passable cleans, maybe not identicle to (insert primo amp here) but passable especially for headphone/apt volumes or live applications. If using the AXE for effects only then it is overkill & you will be upset about the amount of coin you dumped on a MFX unit.

A problem you will run into if you try to run the AXE emulation through a clean "neutral" module is that module as well as the MOD50 are going to impart their character on that emulation which will give you a different result. You may like the result but if you were going for a 59 Bassman or whatever your hosed.

The GSP1101 has a loop which you could put the preamp in & move it in or out of the signal path based on need. I don't know if the AXE has this capability. I believe mojo has his GSP1101 & RM4 setup this way. If he wants the GSP amp sim he creates a patch that does not have the loop open thereby removing the RM4 from the signal path & uses the amp & cab sims of the GSP. If he wants the RM4/module tone he creates a patch with the loop on & no amp or cab sims.

If you're happy with your tone, why change it? If you're not happy, then try the AXE.

My humble opinion, being someone who has an Axe II (and was a previous Ultra owner previously), and someone with a fair amount of experience in the MTS world, I'd suggest trying Axe. Not because it's "better", per se, but because there is a HUGE amount of flexibility and quality in the unit, and you really get a lot of bang for the buck with it, especially if you choose to buy a used Ultra or Standard. But, as some may argue, it depends on the application in which you'll be using it.

You also have to remember where you're posing this question - that matters *a lot* in regards to the answers you'll receive. Here, you can reasonably expect the consensus suggesting that you use tube/modular gear, while you can expect the Fractal forums to suggest that you use the Axe. Try an Axe, see if it works for you. If not, you probably wont have too much difficulty selling it off for close to what you paid for it. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Also, check the Fractal forums for sound clips, reviews, etc etc

rhequiem said:
You also have to remember where you're posing this question - that matters *a lot* in regards to the answers you'll receive. Here, you can reasonably expect the consensus suggesting that you use tube/modular gear, while you can expect the Fractal forums to suggest that you use the Axe.

:shock:...
Very very true. :lol:

Latest posts