\\ENGL Savage// Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well..........I am loving this preamp. Probably alot of people to disagree with me but it's way more responsive and dynamic than the Powerball IME. I had the PB for about a month and could not gel with it. Way too tight and it seemed like was on 10 kill with no give. It did sound good just could not "dig in". The feel was not there for me. Which was strange because I have owned a PB, Fireball, Ironball and consider myself a big ENGL fan. I did not like the 6505 either so there is that with me as well. Perhaps it's just my odd taste....if it is odd? The 3 modules I now have SLO, Uberschall, Savage kinda have the tight brutal metal thing locked down for me. All are awesome but the Savage is a \Beast/!!

The Savage is my favorite module (prefer it over the Uber and PB). The blue channel sounds off and doesn't react to the eq very well. The contour switch is kind of garbage. But the red channel is my favorite metal rhythm tone from the modules I have tried. Unsurprisingly, I also really like the Savage 120 despite never owning one.

The Savage is my favorite module (prefer it over the Uber and PB). The blue channel sounds off and doesn't react to the eq very well. The contour switch is kind of garbage. But the red channel is my favorite metal rhythm tone from the modules I have tried. Unsurprisingly, I also really like the Savage 120 despite never owning one.
Ironically I love the blue channel, but I am glad that you like the module. Yes the contour switch doesn't really do much so far IME as well, :)

I think the contour only works on the red channel?? OR that's what I heard said on something. Shifts the mid peak point lower to higher mid range. Higher one sounded better to me in the demos but who knows till they experiment. I just got this one, haven't been able to crank it up. Lost the air conditioner in my studio and can't even go in there, so hot. Had to move all my guitars out to keep the heat off them. Dying to try the Savage. I liked the Powerball so if this one is better I cannot wait to run it through the paces.

I'm running 4 cm with my Ampero II Stomp so maybe the blue channel just works better for me. I love the blue channel. I also love the blue channel on my Uberschall. Maybe it's just the color blue eh. Actually I will try the red channel again but for me the harmonic overtones are a little dryer. The Powerball was just too tight a feel. I probably should have experimented with the sag control more before I sold it. But very happy with the Savage so.......not really needed...got my Engl fix...

Sometimes the lower channel is better on many modules in so far as not having the more sizzzle on the gain. To tell you the truth lately having gone though pretty much all the uber gain stuff. I am loving the cleaner TDX module, just an all round great sound and pedal platform for me. It's like when I had the BB/BE plugged in to the docks I pretty much used the BE channel most of the time. Both are glorious glassy tube cleans that you can do something with. A nice change of pace from the overt gains, but as always the glory of Synergy, one click away into another range of sonic bliss.

Latest posts