Finally got my Salvo mods =)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I missed the package yesterday, so early this morning I went to the post office and picked up my second batch of Salvo modules. I only got to play them for half an hour, but here are my initial playthrough impressions-

1) I ordered a Camerock with a red faceplate and red knobs. This module is a bit confusing to use. How the hell do you dial it it? To me it did the lynch thing really well and has massive treble!

2) Custom 3 ++: this is my most expensive module to date, costing less than 2 modded modules, but more than one. I wanted Anthony to replicate a Custom Audio OD100SE+. He added some special switches and gave the module a new faceplate and yes, this module rocks my socks!

3) Terrier- I like the lo gain side of VHT/ Fryette amps and this module gets that tone. I haven't really figured out what this mod can do, but so far, so good. It also looks like it came off the sett of one of the Terminator movies.

4) MarkUS- HUGE. this module sounds absolutely massive!!!!!!!!!!!!! ah hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! (that's my evil laugh) I ordered it on a whim when my other mods were being built and it may be the surprise of the whole group. it sounds fantastic. It also has a second channel via push pull pot that activates a clean channel.

5) Shiver. I actually think the module has more gain than a bogner shiva. I had to dial the gain way back, but then the module became a little muddy, however, it nails the early EVH tone. I need more time to dial this one in.

I'm late to work, so I gotta run, but I'll post full reviews of each module with crappy demo videos. If anyone has any questions, ask away. Peace~

re: Camerock

This is a tougher one to set...here's how I roll
Gain to the right is where I usually reside; compressed toggle UP (but sounds open and reactive in middle)

throw all the pots to noon, keep the brights in the middle position
The typical gain pot on the far left is much brighter, I'll dial that down to 10 or 11oclock. The little gain knob on the right is the one I move around, it gives more thump. Let's say 1 oclock as a baseline. Maxing both gains is usually not good.

The brights can stay middle for warmest tone (and thinner guitars)
My first move is to flip the right bright toggle down. For my LPs I can do that plus move the left bright toggle up, but you may have to dial back the treble pot and left gain pot since this settings is brighter.

This has been my baseline setting; different guitars/gain levels require different flips

Hope this helps!

How can a shiva nail an early EVH tone when that tone was a Superlead + EQ+ variac ? (or derivative of with possible pedal). I think that statement is thrown around way too easily by all of us! Then again, everybody has a diff ear so really there is no right or wrong answer here.

Your Camerock observation seems to be a common complaint among owners. They can't dial it in. That said, when they do, they find that one setting that just kicks ***. Personally, I like brighter modules so this thing would probably work well for me. Too many options on a module I don't like because i seem to constantly dial in very similar tones.

BTW, the Camerock >rm20 is by far the best rm20 module. Some modules sound muffled and mediocre with the el84s, but the Camerock is a great match!

Also note: my above settings were using my rm100KH loaded with (2) 6L6s & (2) el34s

I just loaded up my RM50 for a big gig next weekend. Plexitweed in slot 1 and Camerock in slot 2 ...

I've not really considered buying dupes but those two mods wander through every amp and rack I have and seem to be what I wind up playing in the end regardless of where I start.
Camerock can be dialed in. It takes time. But I can't put the thing away now that it is. If I get a dupe, I may try to save money on features and get it hardwired the way I have it set now which is Gain Style, Drive in the middle setting. Bright 1 is at bottom setting and Bright 2 is at top setting.
I have both gain pots set right around noon and just a little bass and mid bump to even things out. I also use a very mild front end boost. It even sounds awesome through power tubes I usually dislike. Not sure this mod can be beat for high gain tone. It sounds like the blend I hoped the Masholdano would give me. Love it!

Interesting bright settings^

agreed, the Camerock sounds kick *** with a boost pedal!
Also loves the mid pot cranked for lead awesome-ness

Mattfig said:
crankyrayhanky said:
Interesting bright settings^

agreed, the Camerock sounds kick *** with a boost pedal!
Also loves the mid pot cranked for lead awesome-ness

Then I should mention I dial my depth up and pres back.

I do that with most of my mods as well.

Camerock module is as difficult to set as Cameron CCV amp is.
Features are the same and their functions too.

Feel free to ask me for short user manual, I will send it by email.
You can also use user manual for Cameron CCV.

[email protected][/img]

Man that batch of new mods is a sweet haul! I'm super curious to know more on the sounds :). The added tonal options on the Custom 3++ in particular.

I was really intrigued by Pete Thorn's YouTube vid on the actual amp, and wondered how close a module could come to replicating the breadth of sounds.

Oregon said:
Man that batch of new mods is a sweet haul! I'm super curious to know more on the sounds :). The added tonal options on the Custom 3++ in particular.

I was really intrigued by Pete Thorn's YouTube vid on the actual amp, and wondered how close a module could come to replicating the breadth of sounds.

I'm not exactly sure what Anthony did, but here's my guess as well as a little explanation...

When I originally played a CAE OD100SE+, I felt it had this spongy tone quality to it. I find the tone is also spongy on some of the following amps- bogner ectasy, 5153 and an SLO. I asked if the module could be more like the OD100 I had played and Anthony said that the Custom 3 is a clone of the CAE and what I heard was the power section/ speaker setup.

Still, I wanted that tone and I asked him if it could be done.

as for how it sounds- To my ears, I think there's an added gain stage. The module seems to have more punch and is pushing more air out of the speakers. Maybe anthony could say exactly what he did to the module, as I don't exactly know myself. All I know is that I like it a lot!

I've been playing with the mods quite a lot tonight. My ears are a little jumbled around, my head hurts and oi oi yoi.

But I have had more time to check out the mods... I was able to dial in the Camerock and it sounds unlike any mod I have. I'll have to have time to really get the hang of it, but so far so good.... The Custom 3++ was already mentioned... I have to play around with the Shiver and Terrier some more as I'm not sure if they're my cup o' tea, but I'll give it some time to see if I can get along with them. As I said, my head is amess with too much volume!!!!!

However, I have been bit. I've been bitten really badly- Horribly badly in fact. Its like a radioactive mosquito that's 80 feet tall has bitten me. My "Hey Anthony, I know I ordered four mods from you 2 months ago, but can you build me a Markus with a clean channel? I just want to try this tone on a whim." has turned into a fiasco. I'm so impressed, I think I'm going to buy a real Mesa Boogie Mark V. Its great news for my ears and horrible news for my wallet. The salvo is a different kind of tone than I've ever played. Its crunchy, but not fender or marshall or recto crunchy. It's big sounding. It seems capable of Rush and Santana tones as well as jazz too. Anything it can't do... well.. I've got an MTS setup and I'll have all the tones I'll ever need. I'll probably get the 1x12 combo version as it seem,s the easiest to transport around.

My wallet is in trouble. Oh crap!

The Rossness said:
My "Hey Anthony, I know I ordered four mods from you 2 months ago, but can you build me a Markus with a clean channel? I just want to try this tone on a whim." has turned into a fiasco. I'm so impressed, I think I'm going to buy a real Mesa Boogie Mark V. Its great news for my ears and horrible news for my wallet.

My wallet is in trouble. Oh crap!

If you dig the tone, why would you want to fork down alot more on the Mesa Mark V?

Glad you're digging your new mods and I can't wait to hear some clips of the Custom ++

I played around with the Mesa Mark V for a bit in a store once. It definitely had some good tones it but I found it confusing just to look at the layout of knobs. Then again I'm simple. I like the way Steve Morse put it.....if you like his tone and want it, buy the Engl Morse and dial everything at 6 because that's the way he wanted it designed.

Dude, you are an impulsive buyer! Do you really need all these modules??? Can you possibly use them all? I fear you are buying more than you make which is a quick way to using line of credits and having to make payments when they come calling!

Well I think we would all do well to head the wise words of Kapo...

That having been said, I totally want to hear the spongy vibe! That's exactly what i didn't like about the demos I'd heard with the megadeath bits (love those songs, I just like a bit more sag in the tone I guess when I play).

Kapo_Polenton said:
Dude, you are an impulsive buyer! Do you really need all these modules??? Can you possibly use them all? I fear you are buying more than you make which is a quick way to using line of credits and having to make payments when they come calling!

Actually, I'm quite good with money and never owe a dime. (thank you very much). I don't need all my modules. then again, they are fun. BUt who knows- I do have mods that cover the same ground, so maybe there will be a module exodus sale one day. Who knows.

The Rossness said:
I'm so impressed, I think I'm going to buy a real Mesa Boogie Mark V.

There is another possibility: Anthony we want a Mesa Mark V based module!!! :lol: :lol:

Watch your money or soon you will be putting that cool little minie of yours with the spitfire decal on it up for sale! 8) All the power to you though if you can afford it, I wish i could :(

Well, I've spent some more time with the mods and while the videos are on the way, the short reviews are here.

The Terrier is capable of many, many tones. It can do clean and dirty, thick or thin, high gain and low gain and has lots of different ways to set it. It sounds really good for fast rhythm work. It reminds me of a Sig:X I once owned

The Camerock is a fire-breathing Marshall oddity. Its loud and powerful and can be dark, loud and powerful. It records very well. It is confusing to use, but it seems manageable.

I'm pretty sure the Custom 3 ++ has an extra gain stage. The custom switch comes into effect when used in combo with the lead switch and can be voiced 2 different ways with the Standard/ SE switch. I got it to use in combo with my Megadeth Custom 3 module and I'll voice the new mod for leads and the other for rhythm. Those 2 in combo with a clean mod should work wonders!!!!!

As mentioned before, the Markus was my tonal surprise of the new batch. It cas do sweet leads, crunch and can go clean. In all likelyhood, I'll be getting a Mesa Mark V based off how much I like the module :)

I've been able to play with the Shiva quite a bit and I'm getting great tone now! I have to dial the gain back and do a weird EQ, but I can get it so sound similar to the Bogner amp.

Latest posts