Finally got my Salvo mods =)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^That's awesome! Only thing better than NMD is multiple NMD!

By the way, Kapo, was that you I saw on the bike? Muttering something about being doomed if I spend all my money on mods:
Friday-the-13th-ralph-small.jpg

That bike hardly looks stock... I mean it's been tightened up, and likely gains speed faster when you shift to the new gears... Guess nothing stock is good enough once we start modding ;)

I'd look pretty pimpin on that there bike!! Riding on through MTS land warning people about over spending..

The reference may be too obscure for the youngheads- think horror movie 1980, but the comedy still shines through!

Rossness, speak more of this custom-Custom3 or I'll post more disturbing warnings for your checkbook!

Kapo_Polenton said:
You have me intrigued now... what is the movie? Is it the Omen or is that earlier?

That makes me sad, it's a horror classic.

Think, "Cchh cchhh cchhh haaa haaa haaa kill kill kill."

Kapo_Polenton said:
How can a shiva nail an early EVH tone when that tone was a Superlead + EQ+ variac ? (or derivative of with possible pedal). I think that statement is thrown around way too easily by all of us! Then again, everybody has a diff ear so really there is no right or wrong answer here.
Well actually, I noticed this too... kinda depends on the setup though.
With high-output, harmonically rich humbuckers (like a JB) it works like a charm!

You are right though, I recognise certain parts of the tone that are similar, maybe you're focussing on other aspects completely.

m0jo said:
Kapo_Polenton said:
How can a shiva nail an early EVH tone when that tone was a Superlead + EQ+ variac ? (or derivative of with possible pedal). I think that statement is thrown around way too easily by all of us! Then again, everybody has a diff ear so really there is no right or wrong answer here.
With high-output, harmonically rich humbuckers (like a JB) it works like a charm!

You are right though, I recognise certain parts of the tone that are similar, maybe you're focussing on other aspects completely.

I've got it EQ'd like this-

Gain: 12:30-1 O'Clock
B: 1 O'Clock
M:10 O'Clock
T: 3 O'Clock
V: Midnight

Boost: ON
Bright: ON
Facelift: ON
Shift: OFF

As far as PU's go, my main PU is a Tone Zone.

m0jo said:
Kapo_Polenton said:

This is such an overlooked factor between different guitarists. We definitely do focus on different parts of tone, and that's why there are so many different tones out there that people love and record.

It also explains Dimebag's crappy tone :D

Video Demo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqaiide40-Y

I'll do a demo video for the Camerock as well. Unfortunately, the VHT and I aren't bonding and I won't be doing a demo. Its a cool module, but its just not for me.

I have more observations on the modules.

I ordered the upgraded Custom 3 (Custom 3++) because I loved my standard Custom 3 so much. While I was A/B-ing them, I found the tone to be quite different. My custom 3 is an early Megadeth version and I can't quite EQ them the same way. I think the ++ version is more of a lead module also.

I really like the shiver and I like it bright! really bright. It has more gain/ drive than a real Shiva. I can get everything from early EVH to Slash/ Velvet revolver tones with it. It doesn't get clean like a real Bogner shiva clean channel.

The MarkUs has led me to be very curious about actually getting a real Mesa. I find that it has a unique tone that most other MTS mods don't offer. (in this unique group i'd include Salvo: MarkUS, Camerock, MV... JF: OD Special) I like the different EQ's, the crunch VS. lead knob how the tone knobs work in unison. I also like the clean channel. It's the closest I've gotten to the Acoustic module I can't find.

When I originally got the Camerock I knew I was going to sell it. It was too bright and harsh and breathed fire and I wasn't sure I needed that kind of uncontrollable sound....The I learned how to harness the willd mustang and I knew there was no way I could sell it. The camerock has a one of a kind MTS tone. Its wild, but if EQ'd correctly, its comparable to drifting a car- You are always in control even though you're not.I'm not exactly sure where I'll use this tone, but its an awesome tone to have in my box O'tricks.

me thinks the Rossness needs the following:

A proper room mic at the very least. All that cash spent on gear, I don't hear **** when the camera mic distorts. Spend 50$ on an interface, and get a 80 dollar condenser or something! There are tons available.

Just trying to help the Rossness become truly awesome.... but thanks for the vid.

Weren't you worried about his cash flow situation a few threads back, Kapo - and now you're suggesting he spend even more money? Do you want the Rossness to be living on the streets?! :p

Thanks for putting out the demo, Ross. I'd like to see you get a modest recording setup, also, as I think it would dramatically increase the quality of sound your able to capture from your amazing module collection (and blazing riffage!). Kudos on rocking out those shorts, dude! Love em!

Kapo_Polenton said:
me thinks the Rossness needs the following:

A proper room mic at the very least. All that cash spent on gear, I don't hear **** when the camera mic distorts. Spend 50$ on an interface, and get a 80 dollar condenser or something! There are tons available.

Just trying to help the Rossness become truly awesome.... but thanks for the vid.

My issue is that I don't know how to get sound onto the computer using anything other than the internal mic in my mac. I've heard about recording setups, but I'm clueless as to how to get them hooked up. I need to figure out how to use a cheap mic and recording interface as I have no clue what's good or how to get the tones onto the compouter.

However, I have some Pro Tools experience, so if I could get the sounds uploaded, I'm sure I could do a little better than my current setup ;)

I've got some gear expeditures on the horizion and I'd need the interface and mic to be wicked cheap and easy to use.

You're a smart cat, Ross - i'm sure you'll figure it out in no time ;)

Perhaps some of our folks that put out quality recordings, like Fig and Mike P and CrankyRay, might have some budget suggestions for you and some pointers to resources you can peruse to get up to speed quickly. The community could always benefit from another user putting out quality recordings, especially if they have a such a choice (Ferris Bueller slang insert!) module collection :lol:

The Rossness ( I love adding the THE before Rossness)

It is easy breezy like those beautiful cover girl adds... get a line 6 USB interface. Instructions come with the package. even has recording software in there with instructions. For what you are doing that will serve you just fine. It ain't rocket science.. the hardest part is not making any mistakes when you track :(

Latest posts