Finally got my Salvo mods =)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I think I'm going to invest a small amount in a proper recording setup.

Which mic do you prefer, the Shure or the Senheiser?

The Rossness said:
So, I think I'm going to invest a small amount in a proper recording setup.

Which mic do you prefer, the Shure or the Senheiser?

Go for a used '57.

If you don't go with the '57, an Audix i5 and Heil PR20 are much better than the e609 silver. IMO, it's a nasty mic.

Good luck! :D

+1 for the 57 - it's super versatile too, so while it's been used to record a tremendous number of guitar tracks, it's also a great utility mic.

Just play with the placement til you like the tone. If you're uncertain where to begin, google guitar amp mic placement and you'll find Videos and diagrams that will make it pretty easy to get started.

Generally youll notice the center of your speaker cone will be the tightest and thinnest tone, and as you move towards the edge of the cone you'll hear more body and bass. There is a sweet spot for every speaker and it just takes a few tweaks to find it.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a 57. If all you want to do is record some clips of guitar, then pretty much any USB interface that has a mic preamp and doesn't have a lot of horror stories on the Internet about getting the drivers to work will work just fine. Many of those come with DAW software, but you might also look into Reaper. I've been using it for about five years and I like it a lot. For one thing, the licence is on the honor system, and if you just want it for personal use (as opposed to commercial), the price is much lower--a mere $60. You could even use it indefinitely without paying a cent (but don't do that). When you buy it, you're entitled to upgrades through the next full version number. I bought version 2.x, so that got me upgrades through version 3.99. When I switched platforms from PC to Mac during that time, all I had to do was go to the website and download the Mac version. It was much more painless than if I had been on a typical DAW.

I am gonna go away from the standard and suggest the Sennhesier E906. It is basically a 609 with 2 additional filters.

A word of caution, I am an idiot. :D

Having said that, I think for a guy just starting out with this stuff that the e906 is easier to place to get a general good sound. It does well with being near a sweet spot whereas I find the 57 to need more accurate placement and that is something that, for me, changes module to module.

I respect the opinions above but wish to respectfully disagree.

If you have an evil GC nearby you could always have the demo them for you. That is, if they can figure out how to hook it up.

Whoopysnorp said:
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a 57. If all you want to do is record some clips of guitar, then pretty much any USB interface that has a mic preamp and doesn't have a lot of horror stories on the Internet about getting the drivers to work will work just fine. Many of those come with DAW software, but you might also look into Reaper. I've been using it for about five years and I like it a lot. For one thing, the licence is on the honor system, and if you just want it for personal use (as opposed to commercial), the price is much lower--a mere $60. You could even use it indefinitely without paying a cent (but don't do that). When you buy it, you're entitled to upgrades through the next full version number. I bought version 2.x, so that got me upgrades through version 3.99. When I switched platforms from PC to Mac during that time, all I had to do was go to the website and download the Mac version. It was much more painless than if I had been on a typical DAW.

I'll keep it in mind. I've got protools and garage band but I'll keep it in mind.

The 57 is a go to mic but can also be frustrating at times... the 609 is a love it or leave it mic. the 906 gives you more options as fig said, I am prob going to go with one of those next. The Heil stuff gets really good reviews. I might be inclined to try the PR20 if i were starting all over again. The audix sounds scooped to me.

Mattfig said:
I am gonna go away from the standard and suggest the Sennhesier E906. It is basically a 609 with 2 additional filters.

A word of caution, I am an idiot. :D

Having said that, I think for a guy just starting out with this stuff that the e906 is easier to place to get a general good sound. It does well with being near a sweet spot whereas I find the 57 to need more accurate placement and that is something that, for me, changes module to module.

I respect the opinions above but wish to respectfully disagree.

If you have an evil GC nearby you could always have the demo them for you. That is, if they can figure out how to hook it up.
I have to agree with crazy Matt.

I have tried and tried to make a 57 work, but I find it colors tone way too much. I know it's 'world tour tested' and there's no doubt it's a durable piece of gear. But in the end, there are just more transparent mics out there. I'm a big Sennheiser fan and use both 906s and 421s.

Ok, let's say that I'd get the sennheiser 906.

The next step would be a unit between the computer and the mic. WhTs good, issue to use, and is on the cheap side of things?

You know, I'm quite interested in this, also. I've wanted to get a little bang-for-the-buck recording setup for awhile now, and people offering their experience and opinions on this stuff is just awesome :)

You have quite a few solid choices for entry level interfaces these days. I would recommend the best quality mic preamps for the $ as this unit:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system at $149
Although I'd spring the extra $50 on this version for the software effects that can be applied for monitoring and/or recording:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-22vsl-usb-2.0-recording-system

These mic preamps have a strong amount of clean headroom compared to other options in the sub $200 price range.

Of course if you want below $100 this might be a surprising option, but it's a far cry from the ART noise boxes of old and has some nice bang for the buck (not to mention the built in opto limiter):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-usb-dual-tube-pre

Oregon said:
You have quite a few solid choices for entry level interfaces these days. I would recommend the best quality mic preamps for the $ as this unit:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system at $149
Although I'd spring the extra $50 on this version for the software effects that can be applied for monitoring and/or recording:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-22vsl-usb-2.0-recording-system

These mic preamps have a strong amount of clean headroom compared to other options in the sub $200 price range.

Of course if you want below $100 this might be a surprising option, but it's a far cry from the ART noise boxes of old and has some nice bang for the buck (not to mention the built in opto limiter):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-usb-dual-tube-pre

Yep, agreed. Presonus stuff is easy to use and functional. Also usually comes with some software to start if needed. I know Pro-Tools was mentioned but wasn't sure Ross has access to it now or not.

Also, don't look past all in one recorders. MF has several cool ones. That way you have the interface, fx, etc. in one little box. I think self-contained recorders still are quite useful. I use a Roland VS-2480 at home and it does everything I need. I still use my Mac for stuff too but it's nice to have both. PLUS most all in one recorders can function as an interface for other software.

All in one recorders do tend to be a quicker way to get from start to finish - I think it's a shame so many companies have bailed on the concept (economies of scale make these machines pricey to develop based on the number of customers in the market) but if you go this route, and plan to use an external mic, make sure it has xlr inputs (and if using a condenser mic than you'll need it to provide phantom power - the Senn mic Fig suggested is dynamic so it won't need to be powered from the preamp, so xlr is the only must have).

The software included in the PreSonus boxes is super user friendly, and has quality features as well. I switched from Logic to Studio One and have been really happy with it.

Latest posts