• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Guitar Center used RM4 + mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
Search "106668311" at used.guitarcenter.com

USED RANDALL RM4 PRE AMP W/MODS 1-DLX 2-PLEXI 3-SL+ 4-RECO (Recto?) for $780

I bought this and returned it due to problems with the RM4.

It is a first run '02 RM4, and the modules are all '02 as well, except the Recto ('03). Sounds great, everything in excellent condition... except the RM4 would intermittently stop producing signal. It happened with different modules, and with different channels/bays. It would work fine for hours, and then.. no volume. Not slow volume drop, just.. fine, then nothing.

The final straw that led to me returning it was while recording, using the Recto in bay 4, it cut out. I stopped, switched channels, and the other three were fine. The Recto remained "dead" (LED still lit). I swapped a different module in, all good. Replaced with the Recto once again, worked fine.

I reseated all of the modules when I first got it, and tested the RM4 tubes. Just a heads up for whomever decides to buy it. I could have simply torn it apart and troubleshot the problem, but since it was an '02, the ~$50-100 boon of the package price was not worth it for me.

Added note: the modules were untouched. The cage screws had never been removed, all original. The contacts on the modules were all clean, and by appearance, inserted once and that was it. I wanted to keep it for the modules, lol.

The RM4 looked like it was "home use only." Put in a rack, then removed to sell. It had what appeared to be a set of scratches on the bottom from that. Otherwise, totally clean. Screw holes for the modules were clean and tight, screws on the modules like new. Screws on the top of the RM4 appeared to have not been touched, so I decided not to touch them (GC 30-day warranty). The only thing I did was remove the three RM4 shields and tubes for testing.

If someone is confident with troubleshooting and repair (RM4), and has the time and tools (and feels it is worth it, lol), and either wants some immaculate modules as stock or for modding, it is a great deal IMO.

I did notice that the number does not pop on GC any longer?