Help me choose an egnater high gain and lead module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickgk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just got my as new egnater M4 dual channel preamp from ziggy here on the boards, great deal from a great guy.

Anyway i have the DLX & SL modules which are both awesome, now i have two spaces to fill I am thinking a high gain rhythm and a singing lead channel.

Which of the high gain modules should i get? E-Rect or MHG?, both sound great from the clips i have heard but was wondering if anyone on these boards owns both and what there thoughts are on each, which would you go for if you could only choose one?

I am also looking for a lead module that has a really fat tone but still has that singing infinite sustain, like the new andy timmons instructional clips on you tube, it's thick but still screams & sustains without any of that top end fizziness you hear these days. I was thinking the EG3/4 or maybe i should wait for the COD?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps for that, any preference for each? with the high gain rhythm tone I am looking for something clear yet very aggressive which i get now with my randall grail module but would like the dual channel option.

Which do you prefer out of the COD & EG3/4?

Andy Timmons' live (current) lead tone is a Mesa Lonestar with a Xotic BB Preamp driving it. On his last studio record, Resolution, he used an old 70s Marshall SuperLead and a TubeScreamer.

So, Id say with your SL and probably a COD driven by a BB Preamp you'd get pretty darn close to his latest tones, especially if youre using a Mahogany body Strat style guitar with a humbuck in the bridge. EG3/4 is your other best option for smooth-ness.

I've only heard an E-Rect at very low volumes and I have an MHG. I remember liking E-Rect alot though I only played it briefly at low volume at NAMM last year. The MHG gives a Soldano SLO a run for its money, though its definitely smoother and not quite as aggressive. Frank at Egnater says that E-Rect's design is actually closest to an SLO. I can probably see that. Its probably a little more razor sharp than the the MHG, which is snappy, woody, and has a little more sag.

MHG is probably a little more Bogner XTC Red, whereas the E-Rect is probably a little more Soldano SLO. You probably cant go wrong with either. Hope that helps.

-Matt

I like both the E'Rect and the MHG module, so that would be a tough call IMO. I would say if you need more mids go with the MHG, but if you like the scooped stuff that still cuts through decent go with the E'Rect. I have the E'Rect and don't plan on selling it, although I am thinking of buying another MHG as I missed mine a few months after selling it. They are both really good high gain modules, but I would say if you want more bass in your tone go with the E'Rect. :) At higher volumes the E'Rect will shake your internal organs! :shock:

I have the MHG and I love it, but like Matt said, it doesn't do the scooped thing as well as the E-Rect IMO.

Great responses thanks guys. I think i will give the EG3/4 a go as i don't want to wait 6 weeks for the COD. As for the high gain rhythm module, it looks like i might have to get both the MHG & E-Rect, do you think these are different enough to warrant purchasing both?

Where are you guys getting your modules from? the indoorstorm site seems to indicate that they are totally out of stock of all egnater modules, i live in australia so am hoping that i can get my modules straight off the shelf as i don't want to have to wait for them to be built then shipped.

EWSethan, i might have to give the bb pre a go, i currently use an MIAudio crunch box with the volume dimed and the tone & gain on zero to boost the SL & Grail modules for leads, it's a nice tone but i am not quite getting that chewiness & elastic bounce that timmons gets here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHy2o_Q-Fk

to my ears, the MHG is specifically scooped on high mids, while the e-rect is scooped on lo mids, this is why both will still cut through the mix. the e-rect has less compression, so the way you stroke your strings will be decisive ; kinda temperamental module, i like it hahah

edit- the tone of timmons on that video mmh you should dig XTC and Mr scary

I have both XTC & Mr Scary, both are way too fizzy on the top end to get that tone, i am getting close with the grail being pushed by the 'crunch box' it is a very clear module with none of that top end buzz that seems so prevalent in alot of the other randall modules.

Im probably going with the mhg for my death metal band. I like a really mid laden sound with a lot of harmonics to it and i like the clips ive heard from that module far more then those of the erect

I have a crunch box and tried to use it for a boost in the same manner you do and I didnt care for the results. I have an MI Audio Blues Pro OD which works much better for this purpose. The crunch box is just too aggressive all the time it seems to me and not at all smooth.

If I wanted a clean boost, it would be RC Booster, otherwise the BB is the way to go. I think a BB and EG3/4 would definitely get you very close to the Timmons lead tone.

I hate to do this because I know theres always so much going on in the studio, but maybe we can compare some recorded tones to the MHG and E-Rect. Alot of people say the E-Rect doesnt sound too much like a Rectifier, but Ive never been able to get a good idea for what it DOES sound like (besides the fact that its more scooped than an MHG). When I think of Rectifier tones I think of two types, early and modern:

Early:
King's X Dogman
Winger Pull
Dream Theater Awake

Modern:
Creed / Alter Bridge
Breaking Benjamin
Nickelback
Fall Out Boy

Does E-Rect do any of these really? If not, are there any recorded tones that are similar?

The MHG sounds to me alot like Steve Vai's Alien Love Secrets.

-Matt

thewholeofsound said:
to my ears, the MHG is specifically scooped on high mids, while the e-rect is scooped on lo mids, this is why both will still cut through the mix.

This is pretty much exactly what I was saying about MHG being like XTC Red Channel and E-Rect being more aggressive like an SLO.

-Matt