JF QuickMod received!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
THIS is the high gain modified Marshall tone I've been looking for!!! :twisted:
Lots of midrange bite and the presence knob adds some clarity. With the OD1/OD2 and 1st, 2nd & 3rd Gear switches you can really dial the gain and saturation character. As expected, it sounded better with my EL34 amp than my 6L6 amp. I used two EH12AX7 tubes in the module. I'll experiment with tubes soon.

I've not had the pleasure of playing an actual Splawn amp, so I can't comment on how it sounds compared to the real thing. It reminds me of a Cameron amp a bit. If my Salvation Camerock would have sounded this good, I would have kept it.

I've only had 10 minutes with it so far, but it seemed to shine the most with mid to high gain tones. I preferred my MK22 and Mash-All for lower gain Marshall tones. I'll post some more comments next week when I've had more time with it. But if high gain Marshall tones are what you're after, pick one up!
8)

I want one!!! ****- the real Splawns are awesome tone machines but really need to cranked to get the full effect....Looks like another mod on my "A" list.

I have been getting the bug to add some more modules to my stable recently. I just can't get myself to part with anything I currently have. Time to spend some money I guess.

Well, we need a proper QuickMod versus Camerock comparision.
Does anyone have both?
@audiomidijace: You had the Camerock. What didn't you like about it and what is different here?

If Fig does the QuickMod video I believe he also has the Camerock. So I'm sure he'll give us his take on the differences in sound. For me the Camerock was way too bright and lacked balls.

audiomidijace said:
For me the Camerock was way too bright and lacked balls.

This is kind of shocking. I find the Camerock to have plenty of girth. The bright part can happen easily with the wrong settings, but considering the 2 bright switches and the 1 gain which has more bright, there are plenty of ways to dial it warm. I flip those toggles all the time depending on the guitar and room I'm playing in. Keeping both toggles in the neutral posiution with the gains around 12-1 oclock yields a nonbright sound. My LP likes the 1st bright in the up position. Different strokes for everybody....I'll have to try this Splawn at some point.

audiomidijace said:

I have to highly disagree with this statement, the Camerock is simply one of the highest gain modded Marshall based mods I have played and can get pretty clean, great crunch and great amount of high gain. It's all about tweaking with that one with all the options to get some killer tones.

The brightness could easily be tamed with mixing the bright switches and dialing back a tad on the treble (which is very pronounced and was documented in the Salvation demo video).

audiomidijace said:
If Fig does the QuickMod video I believe he also has the Camerock. So I'm sure he'll give us his take on the differences in sound. For me the Camerock was way too bright and lacked balls.

ditto

thats why I cancelled my order with anthony

camerock just doesn't capture that "CAMERON-TONE" IMHO

fuzzboat said:
ditto

thats why I cancelled my order with anthony

camerock just doesn't capture that "CAMERON-TONE" IMHO

I can see this comment getting flamed a lot lol. Especially if you didn't even get to play one. There are members here who have owned or played through Cameron amps and attest to this being pretty close to the tone.

Mattfig said:
audiomidijace said:

I am certainly interested in doing that.

I'd love to see/hear this shootout. Very interested.

Disciple said:
audiomidijace said:

I have to highly disagree with this statement, the Camerock is simply one of the highest gain modded Marshall based mods I have played and can get pretty clean, great crunch and great amount of high gain. It's all about tweaking with that one with all the options to get some killer tones.

The brightness could easily be tamed with mixing the bright switches and dialing back a tad on the treble (which is very pronounced and was documented in the Salvation demo video).

All I can say is that my opinion of the Camerock might have been different had I owned an RM-100 and a 4x12. I'm using RM50 1x12 combos. I have played Cameron amps before and I LOVE THEM!!! For my rig, it wasn't what I was hoping for. And I was REALLY excited to get my Camerock! I tweaked with it for a long time, tried different tube combinations and it just wasn't happening for me. I'm glad it's working out for all of you that are digging it!

With the QuickMod I could keep every knob at noon (except the presence) and step through the different gears and OD channels and it sounded amazing. The overdrive changes character as you turn the gain knob too. For hot rodded mid to high gain, I just love this thing! For lower gain Marshall tones, I can't use it. It's back to the Mash-All or MK22 for those tones for me.

Latest posts