M Audio Black Box ... Am I all alone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcomet

Reaction score
I've mentioned several times that I'm using an M Audio Black Box for my recordings.
For those that don't know, it's a digital USB interface that has amp modeling, 99 drum patterns (not programable) and all the effects you'd ever want (121 of them), plus a tuner, XLR input for a mic, digital out and a pedal board w/2 switches and a wah pedal/controler.
A kind of Swiss Army knife in the studio, for guitar.

Roger Linn helped create it and it's very similar to his Adrenalinn unit.

The thing is, it's been discontnued (since 2007 I think) and I wonder why.
It's a great unit (once you update the software) and I use mine extensively.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Why did the stop making it?
Did the contract with M Audio run it's course?
The new Adrenalinn 3 is out now.
:?

I've got one. The models while they sound like crap out speakers record well in a mix. Basically Digidesign came out with the Eleven plug-in you can buy for $400 for M-Powered ProTools which you can get for the Black Box and Digi's other interfaces.

Now Digi has come out with Eleven Rack which is an interface and modeling unit. Great if you want to do some of your plugin work outboard instead of using processing power of ProTools. this has cabinet models as well and you can dial in speaker cone breakup. If you want to direct record your Randall amp or any amp, use the line out from the amp or Hot Plate into the Line In on the unit, select your mic model, then bypass the amp model, and use the cabinet model of your choice. You've just saved quite a bit of processing power.

A little tip -- I've found that if you're using FX plugins in PT and a lot of them, that the practical track limit seems to be around 24 mono tracks instead of the 48 they tell you that you can use. You can use 32 stereo tracks but I guess that's without plugins. So the more I can do outboard, the better.

I'll agree, most of the amp models sound like crap....BUT, the JCM 800 is really good and the Bassman isn't too shabby.
Most of the others aren't that good and some out right stink.

But for $200...it's a great little box.

Latest posts