RM100 Power but no sound?????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemm777

Reaction score
Just picked up a RM100 used on ebay. Plugged it in and within 10 seconds it died on me. Still has power everywhere but no sound. Didn't even get a chance to try out my new XTC module.... Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?[/b]

Lots of fuses in there. Here's a thread that shows them.. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6297&highlight=fuse+locations

Did you have the impedence switch set right for your cab?

warlok said:
Lots of fuses in there. Here's a thread that shows them.. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6297&highlight=fuse+locations

thanks for the link. Ill check the fuses inside

the impedence is matching , the power tubes are biased at 33mv, checked all my cables , tried different preamp tubes .

the only thing now is the fuses you told me about, and maybe if the solder joints that you see on the pic are bad.. if not.. i have no idea :(

warlok said:

Thanks for the reply Warlok
Great link! Hope that's what it is.

egynd said:
Well guys... bad news. It was not the fuses:(
Please keep me in the loop if you find out what is wrong with it. I'm trying to find a tech up here in Toronto. Anyone on here know a good amp tech up in Toronto

Gemm777 said:
egynd said:
Well guys... bad news. It was not the fuses:(
Please keep me in the loop if you find out what is wrong with it. I'm trying to find a tech up here in Toronto. Anyone on here know a good amp tech up in Toronto

Will do... Gonna check more tonight..

LOL.. im So sorry... i have been trying to fix my amp and in all this chaos, i posted on the wrong forum topic:p

-.- i think i must take a nap

Gemm777 said:
egynd said:
LOL.. im So sorry... i have been trying to fix my amp and in all this chaos, i posted on the wrong forum topic:p

So much for my Ray of Hope...lol.

yeah im really sorry, but im still trying to fix my fx loop, and have no luck yet.. but check your fuses inside. its really easy :)

egynd said:
Gemm777 said:
egynd said:

yeah im really sorry, but im still trying to fix my fx loop, and have no luck yet.. but check your fuses inside. its really easy :)

Thanks. I'm going to take her apart tonight. Crossing my fingers!!

Gemm777 said:
egynd said:
Gemm777 said:
egynd said:

do it . just be careful with voltage in the amps and stuff! and have one hand in your pocket if possible and stuff .. i guess you know all the warnings :)

pm me if there is something and maybe i can try to help you..

egynd said:
Gemm777 said:
egynd said:
Gemm777 said:
egynd said:

do it . just be careful with voltage in the amps and stuff! and have one hand in your pocket if possible and stuff .. i guess you know all the warnings :)

pm me if there is something and maybe i can try to help you..

A little nervous, but I'll give her a try. Thanks for the help!!!

yeah .. its lethal voltage in there..

if you are afraid , i would let someone other help you. either a tech or a friend who knows electrics ...

egynd said:
yeah .. its lethal voltage in there..

if you are afraid , i would let someone other help you. either a tech or a friend who knows electrics ...

Yeah, I asked a buddy who knows his stuff to help me.
Hopefully I'll post good news.

Can you guys see the pics in the link I posted? I just looked and pics aren't showing up.

warlok said:
Can you guys see the pics in the link I posted? I just looked and pics aren't showing up.

actually no.. looks like they are removed or something :/

OK..This is going to sound brutally simple and maybe even hard to swallow, but you need to clean all of your jacks thoroughly before you go digging into the guts of the beast. Use some Deoxit5 or similar and make sure the jack contact points are free from corrosion. If badly corroded, use a little 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to gently remove the buildup. Clean them all, but pay special attention to the effects loop jacks. I had intermittent signal and then it would fade out to a quieter volume. After a while I could get absolutely no sound at all. The lights were all on and everything was hooked up properly. The factory suggested I clean my jacks. "Preposterous!!" I thought. But I did what they said and it really worked. The corroded jacks were keeping the signal from traveling from the preamp to the power section. Anyway, the moral of the story is: Before you get too upset about what may be a massive repair bill, go for the low hanging fruit first. Clean those jacks!! Especially the serial effects loop jacks. :wink: