Rush/Alex Lifeson tones

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedemon

Reaction score
I found only general statements regarding this topic. Like JTM and SL+ for a jack of all trades sound.

Looking for specific ideas on achieving the pre-Gallien Krueger Lifeson tones, ala his Hiwatt and Club n' Country days. As much as I listen to Rush's early music, I am not really in touch with what that guitar tone is, other than "clean", and I have NO experience on a Hiwatt amp of any kind.

Some information is around about what he used, but the detailed info is more for the 90's-2k's sound.

Aside from the requisite vintage pedals, looking for module or settings advice from others who have attempted to get these tones.

I understand that Dave F. modified a TopBoost for the Linkin Park guitar player to have a Hiwatt sound. I just acquired an example of THE vintage Boss Chorus pedal, and am looking at a TopBoost that is for sale. Also hunting, reverb, phaser, and delay pedals in that order.

Would the considerable wisdom of this message board please weigh in.

thanks,

Dave

Info on tone:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55267

try the Retro Sonic Chorus

http://www.retro-sonic.com/index2.php?v=v1

I hope this helps - Enjoy !

Hi,

Thanks for the links. I saw a lot of that on a couple websites. Again no mention of Fane or Celestions ******! I wish I could afford a pair of Maestros...lol Anybody make decent Maestro clones? I just got a CE-2, looking for a Phaser and reverb. There is a really cheap Phase 90 and Holy Grail nano on the classifieds, or spring for the boutique stuff (HBE, T-rex, Earthquaker...)

Thanks again!

Dave

Yes that HBE Flanger sounds real cool!

I have an EVH Phaser that sounds fantastic, check it out, it may be the the same as the orange one but with an extra Eddie button

Latest posts