VHT or Randall power amp?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratkent

Reaction score
I haven't heard either amp but after using a Mesa 2:90 and now a Marshall 9100 w/5881s I am determined to get an EL34 power amp. I was just about to pull the trigger on a VHT 2/50/2 when the opportunity to get a Randall RT2/50 at a very low price came up. I need it to run stereo so I would end up putting all EL34s in the Randall.

Any real world comparisons or suggestions are welcomed.

i have a VHT 2/50/2 and i don't feel the need to move on to the randall power amp ... this thing smokes !! although i have heard rave reviews of the rt250!!!
you probably couldn't go wrong either way !!
cheers

riff man said:
i have a VHT 2/50/2 and i don't feel the need to move on to the randall power amp ... this thing smokes !! although i have heard rave reviews of the rt250!!!
you probably couldn't go wrong either way !!
cheers
+1

ratkent said:
I haven't heard either amp but after using a Mesa 2:90 and now a Marshall 9100 w/5881s I am determined to get an EL34 power amp. I was just about to pull the trigger on a VHT 2/50/2 when the opportunity to get a Randall RT2/50 at a very low price came up. I need it to run stereo so I would end up putting all EL34s in the Randall.

Any real world comparisons or suggestions are welcomed.

The things I like about the RT2/50 are the MIDI channel/cab switching, and also the option to use different power tube types and easily set the bias yourself from the front panel. However, if you are planning to only run the power amp in stereo with EL 34's, then you might as well just get the VHT, which will give you some options the RT does not have (Class A operation, and voicing switches).

I also had a Marshall 9200 which is the 100w x2 version of the 9100. I had it modded to 5881's on one side and El34's on the other. It sounded great! Then I came into the M4 and rt250 which gave great versatility of midi switching between the Power tubes.. 5881-el34's. This was better suited for my needs and found a few more useful features in the Rt250 that no other amp had offered. You are able to make changes as You and the tones you are tring to acheive change.

Changing power tubes and biasing without removing from the rack.
No need to take to a Tech to Bias. Easy to adjust with a simple meter.
Designed to accept many different Power tubes to indivduals likings.
Mono or Stereo Modes (with ability to switch between cabs)
Pressence and Density controls (eliminated my BBE)
Sounds just as good as the Marshall Power Amp with a ton more features.