Who is using Eminence speakers other than the Super V?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel City Psycho

Reaction score
I have a Lynch Box cab with the Super Vs and it blows away my other two Celestion loaded Randall cabs.

I am thinking about loading those two cabs with other Eminence speakers.

The only other Eminence speaker I have heard in person was the Texas Heat, I played through a Krank cab loaded with them at a local guitar store.

Unfortunately I have listened to the Eminence website sound clips and of course the Texas Heat in person sounded nothing like the sound clip.

Based off of those sound clips I was thinking maybe the Wizard and Cannabis Rex in an X pattern on the top cab and 4 Swamp Thangs in the bottom cab.

So I was wondering what other Eminence speakers you are using and how do you like them.

I have a Mojave 4x12 and I have then loaded with 2 Eminence Private Jacks and 2 Eminence Sceamin Eagles in a X pattern. I get tight lows and lots of clarity. I love the tone I get from this combination.

Thanks,

How wold you describe the Private Jacks?

I wanted to do 2 Wizards and 2 Texas Heat but there db ratings aren't close enough with the Wizard at 103.5 and the TH at 100. Eminence recommends only a 2db difference.

Another combo I was thinking was 2 Private Jacks and 2 Texas Heats because they're 100 and 101 respectively.

tdevil_666 said:
Thanks,

How wold you describe the Private Jacks?

I wanted to do 2 Wizards and 2 Texas Heat but there db ratings aren't close enough with the Wizard at 103.5 and the TH at 100. Eminence recommends only a 2db difference.

Another combo I was thinking was 2 Private Jacks and 2 Texas Heats because they're 100 and 101 respectively.
Private Jacks: Greenback clone.
Wizard: G12H30 clone
Tonespotter: G12T-65 clone
Governor: V30 clone
Man-O-War: G12T-75 Clone
Red Fang: Alnico Blue clone.

That's a good starting point ;) Main differences between the Celestions and those eminence clones are usually sweeter mids or fuller low end, with slightly rolled off highs in the Eminences to fight the ice-pick and smooth out the tone some. Also, Eminences tend to be a bit louder, and have higher wattage handlings too.

The wizard has an annoying high frequency that myself and everyone I played it for did not like. The governor is a cutting / dry boxy mid speaker but has some cool mojo about it for classic rock or 1 mixed with others. It has a gainy character. The texas is thumping but a tad dark. Very simlar to the g12t75 more so than its eminence copy, the manowar. The manowar is a higher resonant frequency than the g12t75 but does have some nice low mids. The tonker is clean and has alot of headroom although I didnt care for it's highs with high gain amps. The cannibis is a thick midrange type speaker that sounds unlike the others I played. The tonker and texas heat is the best combination I have heard for cleans and the governor and texas is a great contrast for metal. I don't care for the private jacks comapred to celestion greenbacks. I don't like the g12h30 anniversary as much as the heritage, the heritage has alot of lows. You can't go wrong with v30 / g12t75 or super v / g12t75. If you like alot of thump the g12k100 on the bottom of the cab with v30s or super vs on top is killer. I have not tried the g12t100 but assume it would be a better version or gainier than the g12k100?

Thank guys,

That is some great info.

The problem is of course tone is subjective to the user. And I think the Eminence tone clips on their website is hindering me more than helping.

I have the V-30/G12T-75 in my two Randall cabs. And I just want to add some thickness and get rid of the ice picks and fizzyness so by all account I should go Governor/Texas Heat.

On paper the speakers that appear to be a perfect fit to what I am looking for are the sound clips I like the least...

I would love to add the Super Vs with some Texas Heats, but the fact that the Super Vs only are offered in 8 ohm, I want to keep my XL cabs with the switchable 16-4 mono, 8 stereo. I am actually still thinking of maybe trying that combo in the LB cab. As much as I like the Super V I still love blending speakers in the same cab...

I think I am just going to have to do it the right/expensive way, I'm just going to have buy two speakers at a time, put them in one side of my cab, flip it cab on it's side, and experiment.

MYDEMISE said:
The wizard has an annoying high frequency that myself and everyone I played it for did not like. The governor is a cutting / dry boxy mid speaker but has some cool mojo about it for classic rock or 1 mixed with others. It has a gainy character. The texas is thumping but a tad dark. Very simlar to the g12t75 more so than its eminence copy, the manowar. The manowar is a higher resonant frequency than the g12t75 but does have some nice low mids. The tonker is clean and has alot of headroom although I didnt care for it's highs with high gain amps. The cannibis is a thick midrange type speaker that sounds unlike the others I played. The tonker and texas heat is the best combination I have heard for cleans and the governor and texas is a great contrast for metal. I don't care for the private jacks comapred to celestion greenbacks. I don't like the g12h30 anniversary as much as the heritage, the heritage has alot of lows. You can't go wrong with v30 / g12t75 or super v / g12t75. If you like alot of thump the g12k100 on the bottom of the cab with v30s or super vs on top is killer. I have not tried the g12t100 but assume it would be a better version or gainier than the g12k100?
Some of those reviews sound like they were made with new speakers. Did you break them in? Or just review them out of the box?

Broken in. Tried them in a Mesa standard cab, Marshall mills and a couple of voodoo cabs. I notice that v30s are not as annoying in some other cabs like voodoo or mills. I just compared the lynch cab vs mills. The mills cab with v30s has a lower resonant frequency and a sweeter tone with more compression and weight to the note. The lynch cab with super v speakers has a fatter low end with more bass but a higher resonant frequency. It has some highs that need to be tamed more than I expected but the chords sound fuller with the lynch cab. It is more open but a bit hollow compared to the mills. I have a mix of speakers in my voodoo cab. The voodoo cab is more focused than the other 2 and a more even feel to it as it is not oversized so the lows aren't as over the top. I use the voodoo for recording mainly as the sound is shot out the front unlike any other cab I have tried. I have owned and tried many cabs with many speaker combinations as well as rewired all my friends cabs. I take into consideration a speakers break in time. They were all new but past the break in stage and the hellatone was supossedly already aged.

MYDEMISE said:
Broken in. Tried them in a Mesa standard cab, Marshall mills and a couple of voodoo cabs. I notice that v30s are not as annoying in some other cabs like voodoo or mills. I just compared the lynch cab vs mills. The mills cab with v30s has a lower resonant frequency and a sweeter tone with more compression and weight to the note. The lynch cab with super v speakers has a fatter low end with more bass but a higher resonant frequency. It has some highs that need to be tamed more than I expected but the chords sound fuller with the lynch cab. It is more open but a bit hollow compared to the mills. I have a mix of speakers in my voodoo cab. The voodoo cab is more focused than the other 2 and a more even feel to it as it is not oversized so the lows aren't as over the top. I use the voodoo for recording mainly as the sound is shot out the front unlike any other cab I have tried. I have owned and tried many cabs with many speaker combinations as well as rewired all my friends cabs. I take into consideration a speakers break in time. They were all new but past the break in stage and the hellatone was supossedly already aged.

How long did it take you to break in the v30s and the super v?

MYDEMISE said:
Interesting... have you tried swapping the speakers in the Lynch Box and the Mills? Who knows, they might love each others' speakers :D

Swapping them in the other cab is the next experiment lol. I think that either v30 with super v or trying super v and g12t75 in each cab would sound good. I like to keep the less cutting speakers on the bottom of the cab. The 75 and v30 mix is kinda dark in the mills though it sounds mean.

In my RM100 2x12 I have one celestion g12t-75 and one texas heat and friggin love how these two speakers sound together. I'm getting rid of this rig....but only becauise the combo is so friggin HEAVEY. If i end up getting a head and a new cab I personally would load it with three texas heats and one celestion g12T-75 which is the cab I use to run with a different head, and ran my randall through a few times before I consolidated down the speakers to the combo. I should have never done that in hindsight cause the 3 to 1 mix was beautiful.

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I thought I'd ask how the further testing went, MYDEMISE? Any new combos, especially between the Lynch Box and Mills?

i have eminence legends also. with a mike in front they sound a bit thin and bright. but live they are amazing!! i feel you cant beat a v30 for recording though (distorted guitar that is), this is why i have both.

one main thing i would be considering is whether the cab is for studio or live use.......