About ready to mod my Recto module,do I have everything?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbause

Reaction score
My module is the early plain silver stripless Recto.

From what I've read these have 470 ohm R1-R3 and C3 is .0047uF.

So I'm thinking I'm going to replace R1-R3 with this:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...OF151JE&R=2964409&SEARCH=2964409&DESC=OF151JE

And this for cap mod:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...D3&R=5070324&SEARCH=5070324&DESC=715P10256JD3

I read that C14 on Grail is 470pf (same as mine) but the Treadplate C14 is 300 pf.
What does this cap do exactly?

Anything else I should do to this module other than the led?
I'm probably gonna order the caps and resistors soon so any help is appreciated.

thanks.

-Kyle

honestly I think when I pull the board off the chasis tomorrow I'll actually pay attention to everything and do my best to understand how it all works.

C14 is part of the tone stack. Use the link in my sig to take your module apart. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks pete, I looked at all your links on that stuff before I even had a module in my hand.

I used to work (and still do on occasion) in the repair department at my work and the boards on the CNCs are much more compact and complicated so I think I'll be able to handle this without a hitch.

I might hold off on modding the XTC and just send it to you, clips make it hard not. 8)

Its so much better I'm trying to find a use for the XTC.

I seriously think I'm gonna have to get a different module for lead now.
Because with the components I've swapped on the Recto it just puts rhythm or lead tones on the XTC to shame. (for my style that is)

Seriously though, I'm SOOOOOOO happy I did the mods to the Recto. Took a bit of dialing in but I'm thrilled. This is without using my rack, I'm sure it'll be even better once I throw that on top and starting messing with my comp, graphic eq, ISP, and the BBE.

Though I've always used the BBE to tighten the low end of my amps, however I don't hear a need for it with the mods to the Recto.

Right now I'm incredibly happy that I chose to go with the Randall, and I'm even happier you recommended this forum to me Steve, has helped me lots and I've only had this amp a week so far.

Flexible great sounding clean with any guitar/pup: CHECK
Nice chunky aggresive rhythm: CHECK
Smooth Yet Gain heavy lead: not yet

So I'm thinking I'll be looking for an Ultra XL soon. Or maybe not.
Think if Santana listened to Metal.
Thats what I want.

kbause said:
So I'm thinking I'll be looking for an Ultra XL soon. Or maybe not.
Think if Santana listened to Metal.
Thats what I want.

Something funny about that statement is I don't really listen to much Santana or Metal, however I think thats the best way to describe the lead tone I want.

Also I did move ALL my pre tubes around.

I currently have JJs in the Blackface, Electro Harmonix in the Recto, and Ruby in the XTC.

Maybe the rubys are why I'm not liking th XTC?

kbause said:
Maybe the rubys are why I'm not liking th XTC?

throw those Rubys in the garbage and you'll dig the XTC, man :D
I prefer the JJ or the EH in the XTC much better. I'm running JJ in there right now, the Tung Sol are cleaner but but not as much gain, so they're better for higher volume when you're pushing more air.
I like the JJ for a bit more grit in the mids, which seem to be what they excel at. Still plenty of balls and punch. You should give the XTC a chance, they really scream with medium to high output pups.

i like the ruby's on the chassis or any decent chinese 12 ax7's. i always go to the chinese 12ax7's first on anything requiring 12ax7's then if i don't like i start swapping for eh's and jj's or sovteks , tungsol what have ya. i really like them best for some reason, except groove tubes version, don't know why but their version sucks. so far the tad seem best and the ruby is right there as well, chinese is the best for recto :twisted:

I'm probably going to order and assortment of 12AX7s and a couple 12AT7s next week to try and swap around.

if the chasis works that is.

12at7 or anything not 12ax7 or ec83 is low gain, quite low gain too, a long plate tube is just a tad less gain and still sounds pretty good , like a sovtek lps or an ec803

Latest posts