Acoustic Guitars

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazyhick2

Reaction score
It's a topic I've never read about on here and I just played my Alvarez Yairi DY-95 for the first time in a couple weeks. It's a **** shame especially for the money I spent on it, but every time I play it, I am reminded how BAD *** it is. What kind of acoustics are you Randall heads playing out there? What is the best acoustic guitar you have ever played?

I have a Gibson J45 that just speaks to me...lost in this mts craze is the fact that my acoustic work is a lot of fun, I need to stop neglecting that side!

I never did play a Yari, I know Ani D plays them

J-45 is a sweet *** guitar. I'd get one of those over a martin any day. Alvarez is a really good line of guitars. Yairi's are handmade and signed off by the owner of Alvarez himself, Kazuo Yairi. These guitars, even though they are known pretty well, are still the best kept secrete when it comes to acoustics. The guitar I have sounds great, but the neck is where you can tell the difference between these and Martins. Not one hint of fret buzz on any fret on any string, and still like butter. If anyone is ever in the market for an acoustic, check alvarez. If you plan on a thousand plus for one, check out the handmade Yairi's. They don't disappoint.

"Yairi's. They don't disappoint."
I think if anyone is considering an acoustic, they should make a point of trying the A-Ys.
-GtrGeorge

I have a Taylor 614CE and I LOVE IT!!! bright and plays like butta! :twisted:

I don't know if you guys have heard of Maton guitars but they are fantastic. It is an Australian company but there are a number of dealers in the U.S. I am saving up for the artist model:

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/ebg808-artist-te.html

It runs about 2,200 dollars including the case. This particular model is not the greatest when played just acoustically...but if you are looking for something that you want to plug in...it is heaven. Their pickups and the design of the guitar make for such a wonderful sweet sound when it is plugged in. There is an "open air" mic inside the guitar in addition to the regular pickup. You can add as much of that open air mic as you want to the mix coming out of your guitar. It's a simple guitar with a really thin finish...simple to look at but sounds amazing.

there are many good ones...
Seagull, Alvarez-Yair, Guild, etc etc

I have found many good acoustics under $1,000

..I never understood the whole $5,000 guitar thing.
If you are willing to search, you can find a good one under a grand.

Guild gets my vote for best value per dollar. A friend picked one up, cant recall the model for about $750 and it is comparable to anything in the 1-2 grand range. I'll see if I can track that model number down...

I have had my Martin D28M mahagony for 9 years now and i cant see my self ever getting anything else. Workhorse guitar. 1-2 gigs a week for the past 9 years. It has some battle scars, but that just gives it tons of character. I still get tons of compliments on the guitars sound.

..you must have got a good Martin. I have heard many Martins over the past 20 years..and the new ones just dont do it for me. I have heard some older one's (including a $250k guitar for sale by one of the 3 amigos..) and imho...the pre-1970 Martins just sound so much better.
You must have an exception. I have seen and heard a few exceptions.
But for what Martins cost..I have always felt they were inconsisitant. Whereas Taylors are VERY consistant..and to me, not all that interesting. they all have that one TAYLOR sound..ya know..after a while it bores me as much as be-damned Piezo acoustic sounds (hows that for a nasty sound..).
The A-Y have real character...love em or hate em. I have played some Seagulls that were really nice to work with...and I have played a few Gibson acoustics (a certain 1968 in Texas) that I would sell a Toe for!
Also, I own 2 Guilds and they are a knockout..in many cases (but I had a warrantee dispute years ago..resolved ok...but they didnt believe me at first...I thought I was shafted for a few months there. Thanks to Cornet MUSIC in Smithtown,NY...Frank there stuck up for me, and Guild finally fixed the guitar,under warantee). Some of those Guilds sound great.

I have a USA Guild that I really dig, owned a Taylor back in the day but I like the tone of the Guild a little better. Also have a Simon and Patrick Luthier 12 string - it's basically a Seagull with a 'normal' headstock (Canadian made) - great guitar for the $. Bought it used for $200.

Pete

GtrGeorge! said:
..you must have got a good Martin. I have heard many Martins over the past 20 years..and the new ones just dont do it for me. I have heard some older one's (including a $250k guitar for sale by one of the 3 amigos..) and imho...the pre-1970 Martins just sound so much better.
You must have an exception. I have seen and heard a few exceptions.
But for what Martins cost..I have always felt they were inconsisitant. Whereas Taylors are VERY consistant..and to me, not all that interesting. they all have that one TAYLOR sound..ya know..after a while it bores me as much as be-damned Piezo acoustic sounds (hows that for a nasty sound..).
The A-Y have real character...love em or hate em. I have played some Seagulls that were really nice to work with...and I have played a few Gibson acoustics (a certain 1968 in Texas) that I would sell a Toe for!
Also, I own 2 Guilds and they are a knockout..in many cases (but I had a warrantee dispute years ago..resolved ok...but they didnt believe me at first...I thought I was shafted for a few months there. Thanks to Cornet MUSIC in Smithtown,NY...Frank there stuck up for me, and Guild finally fixed the guitar,under warantee). Some of those Guilds sound great.
My Martin is not your standard E. I. rosewood back & side/ sitka spruce top guitar like most Martins. Mine has mahogany back and sides and an "Adirondack Spruce" (red spruce) top. Maybe thats why mine stands out a little.