Anticipation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, Drew....I listened to Cat Dragged In and I didn't mind his guitar tone at all. I also see what someone else said about him playing the right notes and doing what the song called for. The song was pretty silly though. They sound like a bar band, which isn't all bad.

Rising Farce said:
Controversial Statement of the Day: Kirk Hammett < C.C. Deville

Discuss.

Now, see man? That's just silly man. You can come from five different angles and talk about tone, diversity, overall skill, Listenability (which is paramount) or any other aspect to argue over guitar players. It just ain't fair.

Because Kirk Hammett ALWAYS wins! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kirk hammett currently an previously sells out arenas. HE WINS!
I have a quick mod and trilogy on the list also.
Plus an rm50 getting some minor thing fixed (problems from the factory) and getting the Jaded Faith upgrade as well. Should be a nice little package coming back to me !

Rising Farce said:
Controversial Statement of the Day: Kirk Hammett < C.C. Deville

Discuss.

I will NEVER talk about "< or >" when it comes to guitar ability, it's too difficult to quantify. Jaymzrock mentioned "listenability" and for me it's C.C. If Kirk could take his foot of the Wah for a few seconds my answer may be different. :wink: (Yeah, that was a shot.) :lol:

I will say, very interesting 'A<B' as both of these guys take their fair share of shots from the guitarist community.

Ricky, THEY ARE A BAR BAND! LOL! I remember when Poison came out; I had been listening to VH, ZZ Top, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Motley Crue, etc. Something about Poison and Talk Dirty To Me really hit home. There was nothing covering up that they were in it for the chicks and I admired the sh!t outta that. :lol:

Very true! I've found at times simple expression can be great, and other times great musicianship blows me away too...

Might have something to do with discovering Allan Holdsworth and really being shocked at loving Talking Heads live movie Stop Making Sense within the same time frame.

And it is telling that Poison seems to play best with the original lineup, even after having Ritchie Kotzen and Blues Saraceno play with them (of course it helps if the new hot shot player doesn't sleep with one of the band mates girlfriend... What a dumbass!)

Yeah, +1 on the wah shot! I was more into Skid Row, GnR and M?tley Cr?e in those days. Then I went to buy a M?tley CD and they were out so I 'settled' for Master of Puppets. I must have been 11, 12? Changed my life, me thinks. So there's kind of a soft spot for ol' Kirky. Got the signature cab...heard the modules weren't too terribly great so I decided to go for something more me with the modules as I've been growing my collection. I like so many musicians for so many different reasons I guess it does seem silly to lobby for an one in particular. I do remember watching Poison videos back in the day and thinking "Jesus, who IS this guy?!" :lol:

I started at 10 or 11 listening to Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, then a friends older brother introduced me to Prong, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metal Church, Testement.

I do listen to alot of different music styles blues, old country, classic Rock,etc.
So I'm not just a metal player.

Just never got into Poison.

I do love some Cinderella!

Oyster said:
I do love some Cinderella!

Ditto - hands down one of my all time favorite bands. Was awesome finally meeting them a few years ago here in Denver and getting a few LP's signed :).

As for CC I just think his tone fits what they were at the time. Everything about them screamed over the top; party hard, have a good time, & yeah chicks. Drew it will be cool to see if JF pulls off the CC tone.

As for CC or Kirk, that's tough. I might have to say Kirk up until AJFA. After that the **** wah pedal pisses me off. Just to correct everyone... :lol:
Metallica sells out stadiums not Kirk. :p

Glad to see this didn't turn into a cyber-riot.

For what it's worth, while I will admit to greatly preferring Metallica's music to Poison's, I do feel that C.C. (or his studio stand-in, as the case may be) is, at a minimum, a marginally superior guitarist. (As an aside, wasn't Mr. Deville also a Randall endorser back in the day?)

Tune in next week, when Neil Young faces off against Some Guy with Three Fingers (Other Than Django Reinhardt)!

VitaminG said:
LunatiBSW said:

so does Justin Bieber! Bieber FTW!

Yeah, but for the record, that's even worse that you would think of that when comparing rock guitarists.

No offense :lol: just busting your balls

Also, about the Metallica sells out arenas comment. Kirk is a vital element though. Think of the big picture. How many times has Kirk played in front of massive arena sized audiences at insane amounts of volume? That's the dream right there.

LunatiBSW said:
VitaminG said:
LunatiBSW said:

so does Justin Bieber! Bieber FTW!

Yeah, but for the record, that's even worse that you would think of that when comparing rock guitarists.

No offense :lol: just busting your balls

Also, about the Metallica sells out arenas comment. Kirk is a vital element though. Think of the big picture. How many times has Kirk played in front of massive arena sized audiences at insane amounts of volume? That's the dream right there.

:lol:
He actually wasn't the first that came to mind.

I was just refuting the whole notion that "he who plays to bigger crowds must be better". By that thinking, Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Loomis, etc.

VitaminG said:
I was just refuting the whole notion that "he who plays to bigger crowds must be better". By that thinking, Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Loomis, etc.

I know there will be a huge wave of hatred following this post. I mean absolutely no disrespect to any guitar player famous or not. I simply prefer players like Hammett, Tremonti, Dimebag, Mick Mars and Slash (in the realm of rock "lead" guitarists) to the quote unquote Masters. Guys like Lynch, Vai, Satch, Morse, Hoey, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Johnson, Friedman, Loomis, Batio, etc etc etc are all just kinda....Too much maybe? Albeit VERY VERY impressive to watch and all that jazz, it doesn't do it for me. I've tried and tried to give the whole virtuoso thing a fighting chance and a real EAR. Mainly because its like, I KNOW these guys are amazing. I KNOW I should be idolizing these skills bequeathed before me...and it always just kinda leaves me feeling less than I think I should about it. It's not that I am narrow-minded, I believe I'm far from it. I have quite an eclectic taste in music, but those dudes have never moooved me. It's sad because like I said, I've tried to make myself like it. I'm more for songwriting. An amazing groove and a hook. A tasty solo that adds to the song. There are a few tracks from the master genre that I do really enjoy, but there are songs in every genre that I enjoy. Even pop and dare I say...rap. The tones these guys have is however very very cool in most cases. Seen a lot of ENGL and Soldano and stuff in the back lines and that's bada$$. Basically, I'd buy a Breaking Benjamin or a Chevelle record before I pirated most of that stuff but that's all in the ear of the beholder, I suppose. Not to take away from the art. Just me.

This forum is just way too cool for this to turn into a cyber-riot.

My thinking is; to each his/her own. Yes, I like C.C.'s playing, call me crazy. Trust me, I've taken a TON of grief over it through the years. The metalheads, all through high school, called me "Poison". :lol: I'm not kidding. :oops:

I agree with the notion I would rather listen to EVH, Billy Gibbons, DeMartini, C.C., than a, so called, virtuoso. While I will listen to Vai, Gilbert, Johnson, etc. I find others more fun to listen to. I've been on a HUGE Junkyard kick lately, just fun to listen to. AND I will always prefer Vai in DLR and Gilbert in Mr. Big, I just like a band setting.

To wrap it up, I respect (and am somewhat jealous of) anyone that plays guitar for a living. Especially, when living well. My hat goes off to Kirk Hammett, he certainly CAN play. It all comes down to what speaks to you. When Poison came out I was 13/14 and it was just fun and spoke to me. They still make it in the play rotation, even today. Reminds me of an easier, much more fun, time. :D

There should never be an apology for loving music of any kind. My tastes are ALL over the board. My iPod shuffles through Chevelle, NWA, Death Cab for Cutie, Brittany Spears, Mudvayne, Dr Dre, Slayer, Rush, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Killers, Gotye and hundreds of other artists every day at the work bench. It all inspires me in some way and it never gets old that way.

As for the "guitar gods" conversation, as much as I love many of them I just don't listen to a lot of it as much as I used to. I just passed up free tickets to see Steve Vai last month, but did go see Eric Johnson. I think it's more about the feel and the space in the playing for me these days if I am going to listen to music with a touch of virtuousity. I came to terms that wasn't going to be my style of playing 20 years ago and focused on what I am natural at. Ironically, I picked up an Ibanez RG7321 last week after the show and replaced the pickups with a Liquifire7/Crunchlab7 set. I pick it up to test mods yesterday and some Dream Theater licks came out instantly! :lol:

Well put Drew. I retract any negative overtones of my last post, because I have a lot of respect for everyone who plays an instrument. I would hate to be the cat that started a cyber war over the topic. I guess this should be one for the General Music Discussion board. :roll: Oops. I think they're all great at what they do because they are. Its just a matter of preference. So...how bout that XMG, huh?

I think that as guitarists we tend to like other guitarists that we might, some day, be able to reach their level. The players that are at a level we'll never come close to don't move us as much. Not always the case but I see it with many player and myself.

Interestingly enough, Steve Stevens was my favorite player in 1986 and still is in 2012. He was forgotten about for a few years in between but I was happy to know when I rediscovered him again, my taste wasn't all bad in the 80s.

Latest posts