Anticipation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit to enjoying both Poison and Metallica. I agree that CC played song appropriate solos for the band he was in.

Hammett is a decent lead player in an amazing metal band. He leans on the wah way too much, and in the early days he just played solos fast without the benefit of good phrasing. But he plays very solid rhythm, and no one can take away Metallica's well-earned legacy.

As a side note, I remember once when an interviewer asked Poison's drummer how he responded to critics that said Poison was a cheesy band. His response: "We are a cheesy band."

Having said that, I can tell you that Poison songs ALWAYS go over great when we play them in clubs. People still have a great time listening to them.

Jaymzrock said:
Well put Drew. I retract any negative overtones of my last post, because I have a lot of respect for everyone who plays an instrument. I would hate to be the cat that started a cyber war over the topic. I guess this should be one for the General Music Discussion board. :roll: Oops. I think they're all great at what they do because they are. Its just a matter of preference. So...how bout that XMG, huh?

Honestly, I didn?t read any negative under tones. This probably should be in general music discussion, but, hell, it all started here because of a NEW CUSTOM JADED FAITH module. :wink:

gag halfrunt said:
As a side note, I remember once when an interviewer asked Poison's drummer how he responded to critics that said Poison was a cheesy band. His response: "We are a cheesy band."

Having said that, I can tell you that Poison songs ALWAYS go over great when we play them in clubs. People still have a great time listening to them.

1) They, indeed, are a cheesy band.
2) They go over crazy well in a bar:
-Every Rose = panty moistener (I reserve the right to sing that song in any band I'm in.) :D
-Talk Dirty = every chick in the bar singing
-Nothin? But A Good Time = well, nothin? but a good time in the entire bar

I wouldn't stray off that list. I have done Look What The Cat Dragged In and it went over okay, but not like the three signature songs above.

drewiv said:
Jaymzrock said:
Well put Drew. I retract any negative overtones of my last post, because I have a lot of respect for everyone who plays an instrument. I would hate to be the cat that started a cyber war over the topic. I guess this should be one for the General Music Discussion board. :roll: Oops. I think they're all great at what they do because they are. Its just a matter of preference. So...how bout that XMG, huh?

Honestly, I didn?t read any negative under tones. This probably should be in general music discussion, but, hell, it all started here because of a NEW CUSTOM JADED FAITH module. :wink:

gag halfrunt said:

1) They, indeed, are a cheesy band.
2) They go over crazy well in a bar:
-Every Rose = panty moistener (I reserve the right to sing that song in any band I'm in.) :D
-Talk Dirty = every chick in the bar singing
-Nothin? But A Good Time = well, nothin? but a good time in the entire bar

I wouldn't stray off that list. I have done Look What The Cat Dragged In and it went over okay, but not like the three signature songs above.
Drew, you are exactly right. Those 3 songs are the epitome of Poison, and they get everyone up and having a great time.

I've played Fallen Angel before. It's got a cool riff, and CC's tone has a tiny bit of flanger on it, a la Ronnie LeTekro (from TNT), but it didn't go over nearly as well as the 'big 3'.

Jaymzrock said:
VitaminG said:
I was just refuting the whole notion that "he who plays to bigger crowds must be better". By that thinking, Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Loomis, etc.

I know there will be a huge wave of hatred following this post. I mean absolutely no disrespect to any guitar player famous or not. I simply prefer players like Hammett, Tremonti, Dimebag, Mick Mars and Slash (in the realm of rock "lead" guitarists) to the quote unquote Masters. Guys like Lynch, Vai, Satch, Morse, Hoey, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Johnson, Friedman, Loomis, Batio, etc etc etc are all just kinda....Too much maybe? Albeit VERY VERY impressive to watch and all that jazz, it doesn't do it for me. I've tried and tried to give the whole virtuoso thing a fighting chance and a real EAR. Mainly because its like, I KNOW these guys are amazing. I KNOW I should be idolizing these skills bequeathed before me...and it always just kinda leaves me feeling less than I think I should about it. It's not that I am narrow-minded, I believe I'm far from it. I have quite an eclectic taste in music, but those dudes have never moooved me. It's sad because like I said, I've tried to make myself like it. I'm more for songwriting. An amazing groove and a hook. A tasty solo that adds to the song. There are a few tracks from the master genre that I do really enjoy, but there are songs in every genre that I enjoy. Even pop and dare I say...rap. The tones these guys have is however very very cool in most cases. Seen a lot of ENGL and Soldano and stuff in the back lines and that's bada$$. Basically, I'd buy a Breaking Benjamin or a Chevelle record before I pirated most of that stuff but that's all in the ear of the beholder, I suppose. Not to take away from the art. Just me.

No hatred here.

I'm right there with you, not hardcore into the super shredders either, although I'd love to have some of that facility. There are some real musicians amongst those guys, guys making challenging music, or who are song-first but with a real technical focus. But a lot of the internet-famous shredders are more like athletes. Rippling finger muscles and striving for PBs on their NPS.

Even back in the day, the Shrapnel Records stable was impressive to behold, but a kickass riff will get your head bobbing better than an endless 13/8 groove in E while the "star guitarist" solos for 5 minutes

Guys like Gary Moore (from back in his Corridors/Victims period), Adrian Smith, SRV, John Sykes, Robben Ford, Jeff Healey, Mikael Akerfeldt, Henrik Danhage from Evergrey, Jorn Viggo Lofstad from Jorn Lande's band, speak much more to me. Love to hear a guy who can burn, but just as much love a lyrical lead and sweet & strong vibrato.

In Loomis's defence, his appeal was never just because of the virtuoso thing. Nevermore were a kickass band that could groove. For years I was telling anyone who would listen (and many who wouldn't) "forget Hammett, Laiho, A7X, Synyster Gates or whoever the dude on the cover of this month's Guitar World is - here is an awesome band with a guitarist you won't believe!!" And while Jeff's two solo albums are largely instrumental, his songwriting style hasn't really altered from what he was doing in Nevermore. Just instead of 8 bar solos, he can take 32 bars now ;)

Gary Moore - Shapes of Things = greatest solo from the 80's!

What are we even discussing here? Lol

I would like to commend this forum and once again give it my vote as coolest guitar forum on the web. ANY OTHER forum this thread would have went south - FAST. I greatly respect the opinions of other, as they are just that - opinions. There is no such thing as "the greatest guitarist." I'd also like to thank everyone for respecting my respect of C.C. Now, I know he's not a virtuoso, but I have enjoyed his playing for over 25 years. It kept me going playing when I couldn't play DLR "Shyboy." Which, BTW, I still would never attempt. Anyway, bunch of cool cats around here. Kudos to all of y'all! :wink:

That's the truth man. I feel like I wanna be in a band with all you's guys! A lot of stand up folks here. It's the modules that bind us...Hahahaha! Ned should embed the Top Gun Theme Song to the index page as an homage to everyone here! :evil: Well, maybe for only like..a week.

Jaymzrock said:
That's the truth man. I feel like I wanna be in a band with all you's guys! A lot of stand up folks here. It's the modules that bind us...Hahahaha! Ned should embed the Top Gun Theme Song to the index page as an homage to everyone here! :evil: Well, maybe for only like..a week.

Oh Sh!t!! That Top Gun line made me LOL - for real.

drewiv said:
I would like to commend this forum and once again give it my vote as coolest guitar forum on the web. ANY OTHER forum this thread would have went south - FAST. I greatly respect the opinions of other, as they are just that - opinions. There is no such thing as "the greatest guitarist." I'd also like to thank everyone for respecting my respect of C.C. Now, I know he's not a virtuoso, but I have enjoyed his playing for over 25 years. It kept me going playing when I couldn't play DLR "Shyboy." Which, BTW, I still would never attempt. Anyway, bunch of cool cats around here. Kudos to all of y'all! :wink:

Very true. I couldn't even bait you with my Neil Young comment.

Rising Farce said:
drewiv said:

Very true. I couldn't even bait you with my Neil Young comment.

Hell, I respect Neil Young. Phenomenal song writer! I kind of put Billie Joe Armstrong in that category. I'm not a very good guitarist and even I can learn a Green Day tune in about 20 minutes. Talk about some songs to play in a bar! Break out Longview or American Idiot - see what happens. :shock:

Drewiv, you sound like me...wanting to play Shyboy but getting satisfaction out of playing Poison. I'm guessing you are about 39. Lol

...and my dad hung out with Neil Young when they were kids...true story. I remember when I was a teenager and was watching a Neil Young video...my dad saw it and said..."what happened to him".

My favorite WTF moment of guitar bits over the last decade was laughing when I read that Charro won Guitar Player's best flamenco guitarist one year... And THEN I heard her play, and thought... Hmmm ya know she ain't really bad... Kinda kicks ***! :twisted:

I mean Gucci Gucci Gucci right?

Rising Farce said:
Unabashed virtuoso fan here. (I feel so alone...)

Tell me about it. The only band mentioned here so far that I can get into is Talking Heads (which happens to be in my top five of all time). Anybody wanna talk about Cardiacs, King Crimson, Mastodon, High on Fire, Melvins, Devo, Wire, Oceansize, STNNNG, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Rapeman, Boris, Torche, Baroness, Cheer-Accident, Frank Zappa, Magma, Secret Chiefs 3, or Mr. Bungle?

Don't forget those couple of super cool Voivod albums! Outer limits and Rat Angel :). Love those.

Ah, Voivod...some of my musical heroes have VERY good things to say about Voivod. Been meaning to snatch up an album or two of theirs in one of my music-buying binges, but so far haven't remembered to do it.

Oyster said:
How about Some Cult, Helloween, Lamb of God, GWAR, Faith no More, Laaz Rocket, Pink Floyd, Danzig.

Lamb of God is my favorite metal band. I met Mark Morton and Willie Adler before, nice guys also. Great thrash players, great riffs in my opinion.

Latest posts