BBE Sonic Maximizer

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Reaction score
I know that a few of you have mentioned that you use some model of a BBE Sonic Maximizer and I have a question for you.
I?m looking at an 882i rack mount and I?m wondering where in the chain it would fit best? I see a lot of people place it as the last effect just before plugging into the amp/preamp and they seem to like it. Most don?t seem to like it in the loop at all.
But since I am running an RM4 would it be better after the RM4 and before a power amp? Or since I am running direct to a board anyway, would it work best between the board and the cabinet simulators?

I?d appreciate any input you have even about likes and dislikes of the product.

Is anyone thinking about selling their 882i? There are quite a few on eBay so I don?t think it will be too difficult to find one for a good price but I have had very good luck on this board.

The SM goes in the loop last before the return. I have the pedal version. I don't think it's a solid state tone, but can be if you turn it up too much... not that there's anything wrong with a solid state tone either. There are some very good solid state amps. I think the V2 kicks ***, as does the Vetta II. To me it's just another tool.

I am a firm believer in the BBE. I have a rack mount 482I that I run in the effects loop. It makes the tone come to life and adds girth to the overall sound. But if MISUSED it sounds crappy. But thats with ANY PRODUCT you put on a amps signal. I wouldnt play with out one. It just straightens out the signal and makes it sound like its SUPPOSED to sound. Try one out at a music store before you buy it. That is the only Effect I use and trust me.....My amp dont sound solid state! :wink:
Pure tone heaven!
:D
But what sounds good to me....may sound crappy to someone else.
Thats whats cool about the mts....we can all have the same amp but everyone will sound different pending on the variables involved or settings or type of music. I play heavier stuff and the BBE BRINGS THE TONE out of my RM100.

Anyone know what the difference is between a BBE Sonic Maximizer and an Aphex 204? Couldn't you achieve the same or better results with a good quality 31 band EQ if you're preamp is lacking something? I've heard different opinions about putting stuff like this in your rig. Also read that a modded preamp shouldn't even need anything extra for tone enhancement. I've been considering getting a BBE or an Aphex but just interested in some more opinions.

Greg

I just picked up the BBE Sonic Stomp and to be honest, I don't like it so far. Whenever it's engaged, even with the Countour and Processing knobs both only at around 9oclock (2-3 on the dial) I get this weird metallic digital artifacting on the end of my notes and chords.

It's a really weird sound and I have heard it before, from another BBE pedal as a matter of fact. I bought a BBE Hum Eliminator a while back to get rid of this nasty cyclic hum I was getting through all of my guitars pickups. That pedal did the same thing, though it was worse then the Sonic Stomp. I;m not sure why they both do this, but it's a terrible artifacting that pretty much ruins the sound of any module I'm using.

It sounds weird because you're clipping the signal. The Sonic Stomp is made for -10 dbV. The Sonic Maximizer (rack) is made for +4 dbV. You need a Line Level Shifter (Morley) to use the Sonic Stomp or any FX pedal that doesn't have "line in" with the Randall. This will provide a -15 db PAD that you'll need for the stomp box versions. Until you get one try turning down the level on your modules.

Also be aware that after you have one, it is still easy to blow by the -15 db PAD if you turn up the level on the modules too high, and thus start clipping again, and that clipping isn't pleasant -- it's the pedals actually clipping.

Return the EBTech Hum Eliminator and get the EBTech Line Level Shifter The LLS has the Hum Eliminator in it. It works well as a PAD, but not so well as a return boost.

I got one of the BBE 482i Rack Mounts.

Tried it but I'm not sure... I'm on the fence. Anyone care to share their settings and hook up configuration.

Cheers
Craig

Run mine in the effects loop (Parallel one I believe)
Have both the high and low on the BBE set at noon.
Have my effects knob on the amp set about 2 o'clock.
I love mine and wouldnt play without one.
You start going past the 2 o'clock setting and it starts to sound sterile.
It just makes the amp come to life when I turn it on.
In the middle of playing if I shut it off.....sounds like someone tossed a blanked over my speakers. :shock:

Mailman1971 said:
In the middle of playing if I shut it off.....sounds like someone tossed a blanked over my speakers. :shock:

That's with the bbe still wired in on bypass....a tru test would be to pull the cables to A/B it- I was always curious if the bypass feature had extra blanket to make the engage so attractive (?)

thanks for the advice MM... we talked on this before and now I believe it was my effects loop wet mix that was casuing the issue... it always seemed as though my tone got "sterile" ( good terminology there bro! ).

I like the effect when I hear it thru someone else's rig but could never quite nail it for mine. I used a Boss - Enhancer pedal before and loved it.

I'm going to try the BBE SM once again and see wha tthe results are after this discussion.

Thanks
Craig

what the heck, I'll blow the dust off mine and see what happens...although my piece is from like 1993

khingpynn said:
thanks for the advice MM... we talked on this before and now I believe it was my effects loop wet mix that was casuing the issue... it always seemed as though my tone got "sterile" ( good terminology there bro! ).

I like the effect when I hear it thru someone else's rig but could never quite nail it for mine. I used a Boss - Enhancer pedal before and loved it.

I'm going to try the BBE SM once again and see wha tthe results are after this discussion.

Thanks
Craig
If you run it in the first loop( Forget what it is) it was on FULL BLAST. You have to run it in the 2nd loop where you can control the level. I run it at about noon to 2 o'clock. It just BRINGS out the overall tone without making it sound 'weird' if that makes sense.
Let me know how you like it.
I love mine and it adds dimension to my rig.
More depth and clarity. But have to fine tune it. :wink:

I have the BBE stomp pedal and use it after the guitar before any effects or amp. Sounds great and clarifies the rhythms. I leave it on all the time.

its supposed to be run in the series loop, if you run it like mailman does and crank the effects knob it'll turn just about any module into a sub sonic uberscooped flamethrower, i did this when i first got this amp to an xtc module and though it did sound cool it was miles from sounding tube like, it would litterally make the speakers move about 3 inches on palm mutes, to each his own i guess but i'm not really into to potions and trickery so i once i got a good heavy gainy module i liked i ditched it, but yeah parrallel loop and crank the effects knob it''l send some serious juice into your cab, but it does have a trickery bypass in it to where when you disengage it it makes your amp sound weak as hell, i mean it will make an ultra module sound like a plexi when disengaged while this isn't really the case you have to unplug the cables from it and get it totally out of the amp to a, b for real. if your really into these kind of teffects i think the aural exciter is better, just what i've heard though :wink:

From the manual

"The BBE Sonic Maximizer Process is most effective
when it is inserted in the signal chain immediately
in front of the amplifier input. The Sonic Stomp
should always be the last pedal in the chain."

"The BBE Sonic Stomp can be inserted into an
amplifiers effects loop circuit."

bbe sm is amazing if you want to really effect your compression and midrange.
i have the pedal i run it through my effects loop on t=my rm20 and like it.